Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K-3 lens mount issue

I was using my 70-200mm on my K-3 when I noticed it was flashing F-- like the lens wasn't attached. I took the lens off, cleaned the contacts and put it back on trying to get it to recognize. Never got it to work. Never dropped or mistreated the camera. My 70-200mm is heavy and physically long. Just holding it by the camera could put a lot of pressure on that mount.
When I got home I inspected it further. I notice the entire lens mount was partially pulled away from the body. I pushed the mounting ring back and tightened the screws that help it in place. Seemed to make the lens work again.

Worked fine for a few months.

Now it's acting up again, not recognizing lenses. Seems to recognize my 50mm f1.8 fine. Other lens it won't recognize. Also, I noticed that some of my images are tilted. My depth of field is not uniform.
My other lenses work fine on my other K3.

I purchased the 2-3 year warranty from B&H when I bought the camera. It's now past the 1 year mark. I think I purchased it Dec 2014. The site confused me.. I don't want it fixed unless it's covered, nor do I want to send it in if it's not covered.
Also I am having an issue finding the warranty I bought and proof of purchase. I have the emails of course.

Anyone have any suggestions, is this something I can fix myself? Can I buy a new mount and affix it to the body?

Thanks for any advice,
randy

---------- Post added 02-24-2016 at 11:31 PM ----------

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/309377-odd-k-3-m...nt-lenses.html
List my exact problem, which they point to the mount as well.

02-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As you have not identified which 70-200 lens, it's hard to guess here, however, in generally, this error can occur when the 'Using Aperture Ring' setting (custom menu #27) is at it's default - disable setting. It may be something else but that's my first guess.
02-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tamron is the 70-200mm lens I was using. I have several lenses that don't work on that camera now, because of the mount problem. I think the 50mm da f1.8 does because it's so light. Not sure exactly,
02-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm...I'll have to check this out on mine. After I posted my reply, I read through that thread. I suspect that it's not the custom menu as I suggested. Don't know if I have this problem as well. I will say that ALL of my Pentax bodies will not recognize some (digital) lenses period. Usually they are of third party make. I've given up caring about it.

02-24-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I was having the same problem with my Sigma 500 and sent the lens into Sigma, the fellow I have been dealing with told me that the Pentax contacts are somewhat smaller than competitors, and they did note that the screw heads on the lens mount were slightly deformed likely from stress over time, they are replacing the screws and applying thread lock. Hopefully this will tighten things up and allow proper contact. You might check to see if your screws are tight or if there is any notable deformation.
02-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some or all of the contacts on the body mount and/or the lens mount could be oxidized or dirty, preventing electrical conductivity.

Another possibility is that the aperture ring on the lens has been knocked a little off the "A" position.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 02-24-2016 at 10:51 AM. Reason: omitted info
02-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Short answer: There is no continuity on the "A" Contact.

Possible causes, ordered by likelihood:
  • Dirty/oxidized contact on lens or body
  • Dirty mount face on lens or body
  • Aperture ring not fully in "A" position
  • Damaged (warped) mount flange (body or lens)
  • Fault in lens (broken solder joint or failed circuit board)
  • Fault in body (broken solder joint or failed circuit board)
The mount face and contacts may be cleaned with a microfiber cloth. To determine the last two points, I would suggest testing continuity of the "A" contact to the mount face on both with an ohmmeter. If you feel there is an electrical fault present, you can attempt a self-repair, but before cracking open either the lens or body, consider that Ricoh will not sell you parts. You will need a known-good junk body to scavenge from.

Steve
02-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by randee Quote
SNIPPED FOR BREVITY I notice the entire lens mount was partially pulled away from the body. I pushed the mounting ring back and tightened the screws that help it in place. Worked fine for a few months ... Now it's acting up again, not recognizing lenses. My depth of field is not uniform.
If it's happening with multiple lenses it's probably the camera. The screws on the camera mount may have loosened on one side. Since it's the second time they've loosened, the screws or holes might be partially stripped.

You could try to remove the screws, make sure the mount is positioned properly, apply a thick non-permanent thread locking compound to the screws, and carefully reinstall the screws without overtightening (and without dripping any thread locker into the camera). Be warned that you'll void the warranty, and even after you get the mount mechanically in place there could be further electronic issues.

The benefit of warranty service is they should fix it correctly, replacing parts instead of just filling the stripped holes. The risk of warranty service is that it can take a long time and they might say it's not covered by the warranty.

I'll hedge on recommending what you should do. I'd need to look at the mount to see whether the screws are stripped before committing. Good luck however you proceed.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 02-24-2016 at 03:49 PM.
02-24-2016, 04:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I had a similar experience - see this thread. My lens mount had become loose and misaligned. Wound up carefully removing the lens mount, checking that the screw holes were not stripped and that the metal lens mount ring was not bent out of shape, then simply reinstalling the lens mount. I did not add any thread locking compound, FWIW. Been working fine since - knock on wood. More details and many helpful posts in the thread.
02-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

^ I suggested thread locker because the screws came loose again within a few months. It's a recurring problem for the OP.
02-24-2016, 08:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I purchased the 2-3 year warranty from B&H when I bought the camera. It's now past the 1 year mark. I think I purchased it Dec 2014. The site confused me.. I don't want it fixed unless it's covered, nor do I want to send it in if it's not covered.
If you have the extended warranty card and camera proof of purchase, it should be covered. The sequence goes like this:
  1. You send the camera to Precision along with warranty documentation and a description of your problems
  2. Precision receives your camera and contacts Ricoh/Pentax for payment approval
  3. If payment under warranty is approved, your camera will be serviced or replaced. I am not sure at what point this determination is made.
  4. If payment is not approved, Precision is supposed to contact you to determine your wishes
  5. If payment is approved, Precision is supposed to update the job status on their Web site
  6. Precision is supposed to contact you when your repaired/new camera is being shipped
If things go awry it is often at step two with Ricoh/Pentax not being prompt in providing authorization and Precision not being diligent in requesting action. The other difficulty is when parts are not in stock and not readily available without delay. Precision has not been very good at keeping the customer (you) in the loop.

If you feel that the Web site is not helpful, you can contact them directly by telephone to find the best way to get your warranty service started.

Steve
02-25-2016, 06:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
I was having the same problem with my Sigma 500 and sent the lens into Sigma, the fellow I have been dealing with told me that the Pentax contacts are somewhat smaller than competitors, and they did note that the screw heads on the lens mount were slightly deformed likely from stress over time, they are replacing the screws and applying thread lock. Hopefully this will tighten things up and allow proper contact. You might check to see if your screws are tight or if there is any notable deformation.
I will check those screws, thanks!

---------- Post added 02-25-2016 at 09:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Some or all of the contacts on the body mount and/or the lens mount could be oxidized or dirty, preventing electrical conductivity.

Another possibility is that the aperture ring on the lens has been knocked a little off the "A" position.
Thanks for the info, I have checked the connections, but I will again.

---------- Post added 02-25-2016 at 09:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Short answer: There is no continuity on the "A" Contact.

Possible causes, ordered by likelihood:
  • Dirty/oxidized contact on lens or body
  • Dirty mount face on lens or body
  • Aperture ring not fully in "A" position
  • Damaged (warped) mount flange (body or lens)
  • Fault in lens (broken solder joint or failed circuit board)
  • Fault in body (broken solder joint or failed circuit board)
The mount face and contacts may be cleaned with a microfiber cloth. To determine the last two points, I would suggest testing continuity of the "A" contact to the mount face on both with an ohmmeter. If you feel there is an electrical fault present, you can attempt a self-repair, but before cracking open either the lens or body, consider that Ricoh will not sell you parts. You will need a known-good junk body to scavenge from.

Steve
Thanks for the input!
I will check those connections. I have seen just the flange on ebay before. I don't think that's the problem, I think it just came apart from the body.
I wish they would just sell parts. My K30 died right after the warranty period, still have it around, perhaps I could use it for a doner. Not sure if they are compatible.

---------- Post added 02-25-2016 at 09:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
If it's happening with multiple lenses it's probably the camera. The screws on the camera mount may have loosened on one side. Since it's the second time they've loosened, the screws or holes might be partially stripped.

You could try to remove the screws, make sure the mount is positioned properly, apply a thick non-permanent thread locking compound to the screws, and carefully reinstall the screws without overtightening (and without dripping any thread locker into the camera). Be warned that you'll void the warranty, and even after you get the mount mechanically in place there could be further electronic issues.

The benefit of warranty service is they should fix it correctly, replacing parts instead of just filling the stripped holes. The risk of warranty service is that it can take a long time and they might say it's not covered by the warranty.

I'll hedge on recommending what you should do. I'd need to look at the mount to see whether the screws are stripped before committing. Good luck however you proceed.
Thanks DeadJohn, I will inspect if further. I understand this will void my warranty. Warranty is kind of useless for me. Like you said, I am not going to wait weeks and maybe just find out it isn't covered. Disappointing, but what can you do. I'll check it out and take some pics with my macro lens, see if I can sort it out.

---------- Post added 02-25-2016 at 09:23 PM ----------

I will check those screws, thanks!

---------- Post added 02-25-2016 at 09:16 PM ----------

Thanks for the info, I have checked the connections, but I will again.

---------- Post added 02-25-2016 at 09:18 PM ----------

Thanks for the input!
I will check those connections. I have seen just the flange on ebay before. I don't think that's the problem, I think it just came apart from the body.
I wish they would just sell parts. My K30 died right after the warranty period, still have it around, perhaps I could use it for a doner. Not sure if they are compatible.

---------- Post added 02-25-2016 at 09:21 PM ----------

Thanks DeadJohn, I will inspect if further. I understand this will void my warranty. Warranty is kind of useless for me. Like you said, I am not going to wait weeks and maybe just find out it isn't covered. Disappointing, but what can you do. I'll check it out and take some pics with my macro lens, see if I can sort it out.
Doundounba, Thanks for the info and links, I will check them out. Glad to hear you have a successful repair, gives me hope.

---------- Post added 02-25-2016 at 09:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you have the extended warranty card and camera proof of purchase, it should be covered. The sequence goes like this:
  1. You send the camera to Precision along with warranty documentation and a description of your problems
  2. Precision receives your camera and contacts Ricoh/Pentax for payment approval
  3. If payment under warranty is approved, your camera will be serviced or replaced. I am not sure at what point this determination is made.
  4. If payment is not approved, Precision is supposed to contact you to determine your wishes
  5. If payment is approved, Precision is supposed to update the job status on their Web site
  6. Precision is supposed to contact you when your repaired/new camera is being shipped
If things go awry it is often at step two with Ricoh/Pentax not being prompt in providing authorization and Precision not being diligent in requesting action. The other difficulty is when parts are not in stock and not readily available without delay. Precision has not been very good at keeping the customer (you) in the loop.

If you feel that the Web site is not helpful, you can contact them directly by telephone to find the best way to get your warranty service started.

Steve
Wow, thanks for detailed info. I contacted Precision and they told me to contact Pentax direct. Pentax of course told me to send the camera to Precision. So didn't get very far. I just wanted to know if it would be covered without sending it in and waiting..

What really ticks me off is that this camera was "my" camera. It was babied since day one, bought brand new of course. My wife's K3 was bought used. It already had some signs of wear. She isn't as careful with hers as I am with mine. So why am I stuck with the problems? Ha...

Thanks for everyone's input. I will inspect it and snap some shots.

THANKS AGAIN!