Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter

I bent my lens mount ring

I knocked my k-3 with lens attached onto the floor. The lens is fine but the lens mount ring bent and stripped some of the screw hoies on the camera body where it attaches.
Is it worth getting fixed or would I be better off getting a new one for $629?

02-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the chassis hasn't been damaged, a lens mount replacement may be all that's needed. I would get the camera looked at before writing it off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam-
At least one screw hole in the camera chassis appears to be stripped. Where would be the best place to get it repaired?

---------- Post added 02-29-16 at 06:36 PM ----------

Apparently Precision charges $306 for k-3 repair. I don't know if that includes parts or not. I don't know if it's
worth sinking that much into my well worn k-3 when I can get a new one for $629.

Last edited by mepaca; 02-29-2016 at 04:15 PM. Reason: wrong word
02-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

Good excuse to get a k1?

02-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrAtClIF Quote
Good excuse to get a k1?
haha 306 dollar repair or 1800 for a new K-1 ....let me see here.. hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Precision can probably handle that and for that price as the quoted price includes parts and labor. Precision's main issue seems to be with lenses. A mount ring should be well within their grasps.

If the quoted repair price ever exceeds the quote, they will call and inform you of the situation. I highly doubt a mount ring is going to exceed 306 bucks.

Another option is to find a replacement used K-3 and sell yours broken/for parts..
02-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mepaca Quote
I don't know if it's
worth sinking that much into my well worn k-3 when I can get a new one for $629.
Roughly how many shots does your current K-3 have?

It would be worth paying the repair bench fee at least. Then you'll know if your camera is fine (just needs a new mount) and you may be able to sell it on eBay for enough to make the new K-3 about the same price as the repair. Having a repair need report to provide with your eBay listing and an estimate repair cost will give your listing a good deal of credibility if you went that route.
02-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If the chassis hasn't been damaged, a lens mount replacement may be all that's needed. I would get the camera looked at before writing it off.
What he said...

Mount replace is not a particularly difficult or expensive repair, even if there is damage to the screw holes. The main concern is whether the chassis is damaged. It is also possible that your lens may have sustained hidden damage as well. Whether to repair or replace depends on where the actual repair bids come in, how much insurance covers, and the cost to replace. You might call KEH or Advance Camera (Portland, Oregon) in addition to Precision before making your decision. A repair of that scope is well within the capabilities of either of those two shops.

Steve
02-29-2016, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

just buy a new lens mount and see if it works. As long as you have a couple screws still in, it should function. You can probably get one off any AF camera pentax has made (at least, the ones that didn't have plastic mounts)
Or you could use it as an excuse to get a multi-lens mount! Adaptist - Home

02-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #9
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
just buy a new lens mount and see if it works. As long as you have a couple screws still in, it should function. You can probably get one off any AF camera pentax has made (at least, the ones that didn't have plastic mounts)
Or you could use it as an excuse to get a multi-lens mount! Adaptist - Home
The only potential issue I see with this is somehow that interfering with the weather sealing (lacking a screw to hold it down). And, technically, with Precision there is a warranty on the work.

Though I'm not sure how they would handle an issue if the internals got wet (water egress through the mount) and fried after they repaired the mount. Though I suspect all that is rather tight anyways once fastened.
02-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The only potential issue I see with this is somehow that interfering with the weather sealing (lacking a screw to hold it down). And, technically, with Precision there is a warranty on the work.

Though I'm not sure how they would handle an issue if the internals got wet (water egress through the mount) and fried after they repaired the mount. Though I suspect all that is rather tight anyways once fastened.
Well, sure. But before blowing hundreds of dollars (and multiple weeks, most likely) having precision look at it, could spend $20 or so on a junked film body and see if it's going to work or not. I don't know that a missing screw would be enough to make it not sealed (now, 2 of them next to one another, that might be), but the WR seal may be damaged from the fall, too.

For that matter -- maybe contact Eric? He doesn't normally do digital bodies, but for something like that which is mechanical, maybe he'd take it on?
02-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #11
Marketplace Reseller

As long as you can get the screws out, make lemonade out of your lemons. Use epoxy in the stripped hole and Multimount it.
02-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Do you have insurance?
02-29-2016, 09:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
just buy a new lens mount and see if it works.
Aside from the multimount, who sells new mounts? Availability of parts is one of the issues of self-repair.

Steve
03-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Aside from the multimount, who sells new mounts?
The rings on all the weather-sealed bodies should be the same. So maybe a parts K-7, K-5, etc., with shot electronics but a good mount ring would be a good donor camera. Then the dead camera and bent ring cab be re-sold to cover the cost of the donor body.
03-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Aside from the multimount, who sells new mounts? Availability of parts is one of the issues of self-repair.
Steve
good point. I forgot that the WR ring isn't compatible with the non-WR ring (which you could get from any AF camera or AF teleconverter)