Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cracked rear LCD on K-3 - Repair cost?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Slight crack, but possibly travelling. Has anyone repaired rear LCD through Precision camera? Cost? Maybe just cover with a sctreen proitector (finally)?

03-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If the crack doesn't impede with the ability to take photos, I wouldn't spend the money to repair the camera. Sooner or later, you'll replace the camera. The crack may be annoying now, but it's just the appearance. You'll soon get used to it and won't notice it anymore.

I would just buy a glass protector to prevent further damage to the screen. I'm using this one.
03-08-2016, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Precision charges a $306.50 flat rate for any K-3 repair.

Personally, I'd slap a screen protector on it and go on with life. Unless the crack is huge and disables the use of the screen, to me, it probably isn't worth over $300 and however long without a camera. Your mileage may vary.
03-08-2016, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with others. Put a screen protector on it and don't worry about it.

There's something liberating about getting your first significant bump, scrape, crack on a piece of equipment. I noticed this many years ago with guitars... I would baby them and then at some point, inevitably, they would get bumped or scratched during a gig. Initially, it bugged the heck out of me and all I could see was the damage... but then, after a little while, I realised it didn't affect the sound or playability of the guitars (the things that really matter), and - better still - I stopped babying them and started to really use them as intended. Any further bumps or scrapes just didn't bother me

03-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I will follow all of the above advice, especially knowing the Precision Camera flat fee. Thanks for that and the link to a good screen protector.
03-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Precision charges a $306.50 flat rate for any K-3 repair.
Sort of. The $306 is their base estimate. Actual cost may be up or down from there.

Steve
03-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
I will follow all of the above advice, especially knowing the Precision Camera flat fee. Thanks for that and the link to a good screen protector.
You might also want to contact Advance Camera in Portland, OR. They are an authorized Pentax service center and can get the required repair parts.

Advance Camera Repair

Steve

(...no relationship with Advance Camera...)

03-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You might also want to contact Advance Camera in Portland, OR. They are an authorized Pentax service center and can get the required repair parts.

Advance Camera Repair

Steve

(...no relationship with Advance Camera...)
Thanks very much for the link. I did not know about them. Mark
03-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sort of. The $306 is their base estimate. Actual cost may be up or down from there.

Steve
Steve,
Not arguing, just asking: Are you aware of people who have had a refund of a portion of their $306 following a properly completed repair?
Asking because I have not run across that mentioned or discussed, although there have been any number of people complaining about service issues.
I suppose the folks who received money back might be happy campers who just don't feel the need to go online to post about their good fortune, but if that happens it would be good to know.

I have read about the entire fee being charged for basic and complex repairs, with additional charges being levied for those which required more extensive parts replacement. So, just interested in more information if there is any.
Thanks!
03-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Not arguing, just asking: Are you aware of people who have had a refund of a portion of their $306 following a properly completed repair?
Asking because I have not run across that mentioned or discussed, although there have been any number of people complaining about service issues.
My statement is based on my conversation with a customer service rep at Precision. I was told that they pre-authorize the card for the $306, but the actual is based on a service estimate that must be accepted before work is done. I am not aware of anyone who has been quoted less than the base, but I do know of folk whose estimate was higher.

Steve
03-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My statement is based on my conversation with a customer service rep at Precision. I was told that they pre-authorize the card for the $306, but the actual is based on a service estimate that must be accepted before work is done. I am not aware of anyone who has been quoted less than the base, but I do know of folk whose estimate was higher.

Steve
Thanks, Steve. That's what I have heard so far.
I'm sorta hanging onto my "problems" (what few I have) until we hear more about Ricoh/Pentax' service plans or more good reports build up about Precision.
03-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
If the crack doesn't impede with the ability to take photos, I wouldn't spend the money to repair the camera. Sooner or later, you'll replace the camera. The crack may be annoying now, but it's just the appearance. You'll soon get used to it and won't notice it anymore.

I would just buy a glass protector to prevent further damage to the screen. I'm using this one.
This is the screen protector I have on my K3, and my K10D. Outstanding quality! It's a "hard" protector, not film. Also note, that for the K3, you get 2 protectors, one for the back, and one for the top LCD! I definitely recommend putting one of these on your cracked LCD.
03-10-2016, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only thing to worry about if you leave the crack is that weather resistance may be compromised.
03-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Only thing to worry about if you leave the crack is that weather resistance may be compromised.
Agreed. I've purchased a cover that seals well, so I think I will be back to baseline on that.
03-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

That is not correct.

That is the BASE estimate. It will never go down from there... only up.

I'm guessing a crackled screen could allow water to get into the camera, depending on the design behind it. So may want to consider that too if you take it out during rainy or very humid times.

---------- Post added 03-10-16 at 06:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
doh. Just read this.

---------- Post added 03-10-16 at 06:12 PM ----------

Straight from Precision:

QuoteQuote:
The amounts you see online is a base rate given by the manufacturer that includes parts, labor and return shipping. The cost may increase if we need to order an excessive amount of parts, but you will be contacted for your approval first.
No mention of it ever being lower... and I wouldn't expect a lower final price.