Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 432
Cracked rear LCD on K-3 - Repair cost?

Slight crack, but possibly travelling. Has anyone repaired rear LCD through Precision camera? Cost? Maybe just cover with a sctreen proitector (finally)?

03-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,198
If the crack doesn't impede with the ability to take photos, I wouldn't spend the money to repair the camera. Sooner or later, you'll replace the camera. The crack may be annoying now, but it's just the appearance. You'll soon get used to it and won't notice it anymore.

I would just buy a glass protector to prevent further damage to the screen. I'm using this one.
03-08-2016, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas / Yucatan
Posts: 997
Precision charges a $306.50 flat rate for any K-3 repair.

Personally, I'd slap a screen protector on it and go on with life. Unless the crack is huge and disables the use of the screen, to me, it probably isn't worth over $300 and however long without a camera. Your mileage may vary.
03-08-2016, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,676
I agree with others. Put a screen protector on it and don't worry about it.

There's something liberating about getting your first significant bump, scrape, crack on a piece of equipment. I noticed this many years ago with guitars... I would baby them and then at some point, inevitably, they would get bumped or scratched during a gig. Initially, it bugged the heck out of me and all I could see was the damage... but then, after a little while, I realised it didn't affect the sound or playability of the guitars (the things that really matter), and - better still - I stopped babying them and started to really use them as intended. Any further bumps or scrapes just didn't bother me

03-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 432
Original Poster
I will follow all of the above advice, especially knowing the Precision Camera flat fee. Thanks for that and the link to a good screen protector.
03-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,502
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Precision charges a $306.50 flat rate for any K-3 repair.
Sort of. The $306 is their base estimate. Actual cost may be up or down from there.


Steve
03-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,502
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
I will follow all of the above advice, especially knowing the Precision Camera flat fee. Thanks for that and the link to a good screen protector.
You might also want to contact Advance Camera in Portland, OR. They are an authorized Pentax service center and can get the required repair parts.

Advance Camera Repair


Steve

(...no relationship with Advance Camera...)
03-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 432
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You might also want to contact Advance Camera in Portland, OR. They are an authorized Pentax service center and can get the required repair parts.

Advance Camera Repair


Steve

(...no relationship with Advance Camera...)
Thanks very much for the link. I did not know about them. Mark

03-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas / Yucatan
Posts: 997
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sort of. The $306 is their base estimate. Actual cost may be up or down from there.

Steve
Steve,
Not arguing, just asking: Are you aware of people who have had a refund of a portion of their $306 following a properly completed repair?
Asking because I have not run across that mentioned or discussed, although there have been any number of people complaining about service issues.
I suppose the folks who received money back might be happy campers who just don't feel the need to go online to post about their good fortune, but if that happens it would be good to know.

I have read about the entire fee being charged for basic and complex repairs, with additional charges being levied for those which required more extensive parts replacement. So, just interested in more information if there is any.
Thanks!
03-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,502
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Not arguing, just asking: Are you aware of people who have had a refund of a portion of their $306 following a properly completed repair?
Asking because I have not run across that mentioned or discussed, although there have been any number of people complaining about service issues.
My statement is based on my conversation with a customer service rep at Precision. I was told that they pre-authorize the card for the $306, but the actual is based on a service estimate that must be accepted before work is done. I am not aware of anyone who has been quoted less than the base, but I do know of folk whose estimate was higher.


Steve
03-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas / Yucatan
Posts: 997
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My statement is based on my conversation with a customer service rep at Precision. I was told that they pre-authorize the card for the $306, but the actual is based on a service estimate that must be accepted before work is done. I am not aware of anyone who has been quoted less than the base, but I do know of folk whose estimate was higher.

Steve
Thanks, Steve. That's what I have heard so far.
I'm sorta hanging onto my "problems" (what few I have) until we hear more about Ricoh/Pentax' service plans or more good reports build up about Precision.
03-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 8,589
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
If the crack doesn't impede with the ability to take photos, I wouldn't spend the money to repair the camera. Sooner or later, you'll replace the camera. The crack may be annoying now, but it's just the appearance. You'll soon get used to it and won't notice it anymore.

I would just buy a glass protector to prevent further damage to the screen. I'm using this one.
This is the screen protector I have on my K3, and my K10D. Outstanding quality! It's a "hard" protector, not film. Also note, that for the K3, you get 2 protectors, one for the back, and one for the top LCD! I definitely recommend putting one of these on your cracked LCD.
03-10-2016, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
Only thing to worry about if you leave the crack is that weather resistance may be compromised.
03-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #14
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 432
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Only thing to worry about if you leave the crack is that weather resistance may be compromised.
Agreed. I've purchased a cover that seals well, so I think I will be back to baseline on that.
03-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #15
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,922
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sort of. The $306 is their base estimate. Actual cost may be up or down from there.
That is not correct.

That is the BASE estimate. It will never go down from there... only up.

I'm guessing a crackled screen could allow water to get into the camera, depending on the design behind it. So may want to consider that too if you take it out during rainy or very humid times.

---------- Post added 03-10-16 at 06:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Only thing to worry about if you leave the crack is that weather resistance may be compromised.
doh. Just read this.

---------- Post added 03-10-16 at 06:12 PM ----------

Straight from Precision:

QuoteQuote:
The amounts you see online is a base rate given by the manufacturer that includes parts, labor and return shipping. The cost may increase if we need to order an excessive amount of parts, but you will be contacted for your approval first.
No mention of it ever being lower... and I wouldn't expect a lower final price.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
base, camera, cost, estimate, k-3 repair, lcd, lcd on k-3, pentax help, pentax service, photography, pm, post, repair, service, troubleshooting, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The rear LCD screen on the K-3 kshapero Pentax K-3 20 10-16-2014 12:15 PM
Cleaning K-3 rear LCD screen Burr Baughman Visitors' Center 6 08-10-2014 05:03 AM
FA 31mm Ltd. on K-3: Focal length disappears on LCD Ztrejfer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 04-15-2014 07:54 AM
K-5 Cracked Top LCD SPO Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 14 12-02-2013 03:30 PM
Repair referal 100d replace cracked lcd spb37 Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 05-26-2008 12:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:00 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top