Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #1

Pentax ME F issues

Recently got a Pentax ME F for free. Everything seems to be in working order except a few things. Firstly, the wind arm is completely lose and does not wind the film, it just swings back and forth with no resistance. I think my next problems are probably all due to the first. Second, the shutter won't open and the mirror is staying in the up position. If someone could help me out. Even if someone could tell me how to remove the whole top plate so I can physically see inside, I just don't know how to get at the screws under the ISO/ASA selector. Help would be great, thanks.

Last edited by photolady95; 03-12-2016 at 07:06 PM.
03-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Usually when something like this happens, there's a broken part. I'd recommend getting the camera serviced at a shop, or Eric in the US can fix it for a low price. It would probably also benefit from a CLA if you plan to shoot with it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/316284-penta...e-listing.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #3
UMC
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The symptoms you are describing here are the well known issues of the ME-based camera series. You might want to google for a text called "ME super ramblings" which gives you further hints.

Regarding the screws I recommend to google for ME (super) repair tips and tutorials. There are plenty of sites with advices and repair manuals available for the ME series. Anything said about ME (Super) applies to the ME-F too. In case you don't find anything, PM me.

However, everything I said is applicable only if you have the necessary skills for fine mechanics and DIY repair. Otherwise you are better off buying a working camera, which might cost less than getting your model repaired. On the other hand, a professionally serviced ME-F most likely is better than 90% of what is offered in the 2nd hand market.
03-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MEF is a sturdy camera, however over the years a lot of them have been abused
Look here: Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings