Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax camera Service in USA

Why Photographer Matt Granger is Ditching Sony

After I saw this post, I was quite curious about Pentax's Service for DSLR and Lenses. Truth be told, I never ever used any services for lenses and body for 5 years and had no problems at all. Any thoughts about services for body and lenses from Pentax in USA?

03-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it isn't great... there is a service center here ( PENTAX Camera Repair | Authorized Service Center | Precision Camera ). Also, KEH camera is out there.

I hear they arn't fast with turn around and they can cost almost as much as buying a used version of the same item. Canon and Nikon sure do have Pentax and Sony beat with repair.

It is probably the biggest draw back using Pentax professionally. But, we all love the brand and deal with these little things. I hope to see a change in that in years to come.
03-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
it isn't great... there is a service center here ( PENTAX Camera Repair | Authorized Service Center | Precision Camera ). Also, KEH camera is out there.

I hear they arn't fast with turn around and they can cost almost as much as buying a used version of the same item. Canon and Nikon sure do have Pentax and Sony beat with repair.

It is probably the biggest draw back using Pentax professionally. But, we all love the brand and deal with these little things. I hope to see a change in that in years to come.
So no alternative service centers except KEH and Precision camera?
03-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I am afraid this is all I am aware of. If you go to Ricoh's site, you will find they send you to Precision camera.

US Product Repair Service | Ricoh Imaging Support

KEH does work too, but I don't know of any success stories. So... you would probably want to use Precision.

03-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
Tas
Site Supporter

Try this thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/316284-penta...e-listing.html
03-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I live in Austin where Precision Camera is located and they are an official Ricoh service station. I have heard mixed opinions on them, but my experience is that they do good work. But, they are not fast...9 weeks or so.

Interestingly enough, they hardly push Pentax at all in their sales. They run ads in the paper daily, I have seen 5 full page ads in one paper around Christmas. Most are Nikon and Canon ads with Sony, Fuji following...Pentax is last in line. They carry a very minimal stock of Pentax/Ricoh products.
03-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
I live in Austin where Precision Camera is located and they are an official Ricoh service station. I have heard mixed opinions on them, but my experience is that they do good work. But, they are not fast...9 weeks or so.

Interestingly enough, they hardly push Pentax at all in their sales. They run ads in the paper daily, I have seen 5 full page ads in one paper around Christmas. Most are Nikon and Canon ads with Sony, Fuji following...Pentax is last in line. They carry a very minimal stock of Pentax/Ricoh products.
Sad to hear that. I wish Pentax was more had broader support among the "pros" and local camera shops. This would allow for easier repair / rental when jobs were on the line. For me, I don't worry too much about the risk since I have two bodies and some overlapping lenses, but.... It does make people like me who make money with their gear a bit nervous. I guess I could always rent some canon or Nikon stuff to get a job done, but I would be unsure of my self since I am so used to Pentax.
03-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I live in Austin where Precision Camera is located...
Austin TX? Precision's website says their address is Enfield CT and I visited once ~2 years ago.

03-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Any thoughts about services for body and lenses from Pentax in USA?
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Try this thread
Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing)
What he said. It a sticky on the repairs/warranty sub-forum. The purpose of that section of the site is to share information about Pentax repair resources for both current and vintage product. It is my understanding that while information about poor quality work or sketchy business practices are welcome, repeated rants in an attempt to discredit a particular shop or Ricoh policies are not desired.

As for thoughts...there are many places that service Pentax as authorized service centers, though their status is not publicized by Ricoh. Ricoh, as with Nikon and others, limits parts sales to such authorized shops. Precision Camera in Enfield, CT currently has the warranty service contract for Pentax in the U.S.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-14-2016 at 03:16 PM.
03-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Any thoughts about services for body and lenses from Pentax in USA?

There is a huge thread on this already in the Pentax DSLR Discussion forum 'why pentax sucks repair services' if you want to get into the nitty gritty details (not for the feint of heart ) but let's say my experiences have been.. less than stellar.. with Precision's repair abilities for my DA* lens.

So poor that I'm no longer buying Pentax made lenses for the time being.

A month ago there was a rumor of the Precision contract coming up in the Summer. I really hope that wasn't just fodder and it turns out to be true (and Ricoh doesn't renew with them). So I'm waiting somewhat anxiously to see what Ricoh does with Pentax support in the US.
03-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Correction on the stock Precision Camera has in Austin. Currently they have 4 DA Limiteds, 21, 35 Macro, 40, and 70. Decent stock of other lenses. My apologies to Precision

I am talking about Precision Camera and Video Precision Camera & Video - Cameras on Sale Shipped to You from Our Camera Store in Austin I may be confused, they may not be the Ricoh warranty center, though they do repair just about everything photographic.

Last edited by jeverettfine; 03-16-2016 at 12:37 PM.
03-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
mee
Site Supporter

Pentax warranty repair in the US is through Precision Camera Repair in Enfield, CT Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair The similarly named shop in TX is unrelated.
03-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Pentax warranty repair in the US is through Precision Camera Repair in Enfield, CT Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair The similarly named shop in TX is unrelated.
I suppose you can forgive me for confusing Precision Camera here in Austin with the warranty repair shop in CT. I am corrected!
03-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #14
mee
Site Supporter

I suppose you can forgive me for confusing Precision Camera here in Austin with the warranty repair shop in CT. I am corrected!
It is not the first time I've seen them confused. No worries.