Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #1

K30 Battery Retaining Clip snapped off

Not sure how it happened, but when I removed the lithium-ion battery D-LI109 from the battery compartment, the spring loaded retaining clip snapped off even though I slid it to release per normal. It feels like pretty flimsy plastic so I'm not entirely surprised but I don't think that part is up to the rest of the camera's build quality.

The camera appears to work as normal with both the LI battery as well as the AA battery holder. Anyone else experience this and have any long-term observation as to whether this will be problematic if I don't get it fixed? I wonder if other Pentax dSLR's have a cost-cutting design such as this.

Thank you very much if any of you can offer some insight.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s Plus  Photo 
03-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hi,
Been running exactly like this for just shy of a year. No issues, apart from the slight annoyance that it happened at all. Unlike you it happened to me in the middle of a nature reserve, and I watched helplessly as the little bit flew through the air and into the nearby pond - No chance of recovery of the errant part....
I did ponder making a replacement, but honestly haven't had any issues and had forgotten about it until your post.
Regards,
Michael.
03-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Happened to me too a year ago. I thought for a moment about using glue but really don't think it would have worked. No problem without it , just need to always remember to turn the camera battery compartment side up when changing batteries or else it will fall out.
03-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That retainer seems to be the K30's week point. Mine broke and I wasn't going to do anything about it till I checked and it was still under warranty. It still took a few weeks to decide to send it in.

03-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Mine also broke. But the camera still works well.
03-21-2016, 04:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Mine also broke. But the camera still works well.
That was why it took a while to decide to get mine replaced even tho it was still under warranty.
03-21-2016, 05:28 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Mine broke too, about a year ago (after about 2 and 1/2 years of use)- for me also, a very minor annoyance I don't even think about any more. Other than that, and the 'SR' logo wearing off, and the very rare times the camera 'locked up' with the original firmware, no issues at all. I still love this camera.
03-21-2016, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Stout camera otherwise - I won't sweat it based on your comments. Great that so many in the Forum are quick to reply.

Stu

04-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Mine broke. The battery door seems to hold it in place.
04-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
Mine broke. The battery door seems to hold it in place.
Same....
08-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #11

Same problem here. As others have stated, the compartment cover seems to be able to hold the battery in place. I'm afraid that the latch will wear out from the spring pushing against the door cover. Here is my fancy rubber band/paperclip fix that should keep the stress off the cover lock. It doesn't interfere with buttons and stays in place by looping through the strap lug. The paper clip keeps the pressure evenly across the cover.
Attached Images

08-10-2016, 04:36 AM   #12
Site Supporter

The door has a latch that takes the load so the spring does not receive any extra continuous load by not having the lug . I am not possitive but I think the lug mainly keeps the battery from rattling around. There is slight movement sideways allowed with out i.t I figure the camera will wear out long before the spring.None of my other DSLR's have the retainer..