Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need a Pentax body mechanic!

Some might have read that my K5IIs crashed to the floor with the Bigma attached.....it pulled the mount out of the camera. After much struggle to remove the mount from the lens I found the Bigma to be unharmed but the K5IIs a mess at the mount area.

With nothing to lose, I tried to put the mount back on....3 of the 5 screws still anchor, the mount itself appears to be very slightly bent, but I am able to mount a lens on it and it works..... in MF only and with no aperture control.

There is a little ring type washer that came off directly behind the lens mount flange. I stuck it back in there but think it is all wrong...I never could figure out how it mounted or what purpose it served?

I intend to send it in for repairs when the K1 arrives, but maybe if I could get that ring right it would be OK? I know it's a long shot, but maybe worth a try?

Currently I am using it with the Bigma back on it, but no aperture control and no AF. Everything else seems to work fine and the body is not cracked or damaged in any visible way.

Any help will be appreciated greatly!

Regards!
Rupert

03-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Some might have read that my K5IIs crashed to the floor with the Bigma attached.....it pulled the mount out of the camera. After much struggle to remove the mount from the lens I found the Bigma to be unharmed but the K5IIs a mess at the mount area.

With nothing to lose, I tried to put the mount back on....3 of the 5 screws still anchor, the mount itself appears to be very slightly bent, but I am able to mount a lens on it and it works..... in MF only and with no aperture control.

There is a little ring type washer that came off directly behind the lens mount flange. I stuck it back in there but think it is all wrong...I never could figure out how it mounted or what purpose it served?

I intend to send it in for repairs when the K1 arrives, but maybe if I could get that ring right it would be OK? I know it's a long shot, but maybe worth a try?

Currently I am using it with the Bigma back on it, but no aperture control and no AF. Everything else seems to work fine and the body is not cracked or damaged in any visible way.

Any help will be appreciated greatly!

Regards!
Rupert
Any picks of what you are looking for?

Randy
03-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Got any Takumars you can shoot with to pass the time?
03-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is the part......have no idea how it fits or what it does?

Name:  Pentax parts.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  122.2 KB

Regards!....No Taks here...a few old M lenses.

03-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rupert,
I had a nice visit with Alan Mais of Nebraska Camera (Home) last week and was surprised to learn that he is authorized by Pentax to make repairs and can order original parts, etc. The only limitation is that he is not authorized to perform warranty work. If I were you, I would probably give him a call to see if he can order you the part and send it to you at a reasonable cost. I'm assuming since you've apparently taken your mount apart, you would prefer to do the actual repair yourself. Maybe there is somebody comparable to Alan in Texas...that I don't know.
Daryl
03-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
Rupert,
I had a nice visit with Alan Mais of Nebraska Camera (Home) last week and was surprised to learn that he is authorized by Pentax to make repairs and can order original parts, etc. The only limitation is that he is not authorized to perform warranty work. If I were you, I would probably give him a call to see if he can order you the part and send it to you at a reasonable cost. I'm assuming since you've apparently taken your mount apart, you would prefer to do the actual repair yourself. Maybe there is somebody comparable to Alan in Texas...that I don't know.

That is interesting probably to many of us.. I wonder if Ricoh has opened the parts warehouse now to more repair facilities? There was a time when Ricoh seems to have gone the complete B2B route with their sole contracted warranty repair facility to where getting parts was seemingly difficult for most other repair facilities. At least the ones I contacted said they were locked out from ordering parts and I had to go to Precision some time ago (even for non-warranty work).

Now I'm interested in asking some other camera repair shops if they can now order parts for Pentax cameras and lenses..
03-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had a nice visit with Alan Mais of Nebraska Camera (Home) last week and was surprised to learn that he is authorized by Pentax to make repairs and can order original parts, etc.
I need someone that can tell me what that washer is and how it goes on? Do you have a phone # for this man? I'd give him a call!

Thanks!

03-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

His phone is 308-237-2521. Maybe you didn't notice, but I included a link to the business' web site in my earlier post. It includes phone, fax, mailing address and email. Good luck to you!
Daryl
03-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
This is the part.
Out of curiosity (and my own reference), what's the service manual that diagram came from?

If it's for a K-5, is there anywhere I can download the full document?
03-21-2016, 05:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
His phone is 308-237-2521. Maybe you didn't notice, but I included a link to the business' web site in my earlier post. It includes phone, fax, mailing address and email. Good luck to you!
Thanks! No I didn't notice, I have ADD, squirrel psychosis, am old, and have two broken feet......to name a few reasons I might not have noticed.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Out of curiosity (and my own reference), what's the service manual that diagram came from?

If it's for a K-5, is there anywhere I can download the full document?
No, it's for a K7 ...but the basics are almost identical. I never found a diagram for a K5.

Regards!
03-21-2016, 06:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

make sure THIS is aligned right.
03-21-2016, 06:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
make sure THIS is aligned right.
Well, that's the question??? How and where does it fit in there? I tried a dozen ways and none of them seem to be right?

Regards!
03-21-2016, 07:58 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could also try calling Eric. I've never dealt with him, but seems to be a great guy. Twenty Questions with Eric Hendrickson - Columns | PentaxForums.com
03-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there is usually an electronic wire attached to that so called washer. is yours dis attached?
03-21-2016, 08:30 AM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@Rupert - a search on PentaxForums brought up an old thread here (scroll down to post #11 in the thread). Quoting that post, part A105 is a flexible copper plate and is called a "Mount Spring".

EDIT: ... and further reading in that thread yielded a suggestion from @panoguy that this may be a grounding element, which would explain the wire connection that @niceshot was referring to above.

I don't know any of this - I'm just getting it from that thread

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-21-2016 at 08:38 AM.