Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #1

Everything Super Over Exposed, Do I need a Repair?

I've got a rather annoying issue that popped up on my K-7 a few months ago. Everything is super over exposed. I can compensate for it using manual settings but I have to hit the extreme ends of the settings to make it work most of the time.

I have done a factory reset on the settings to make sure there wasn't something buried that I mistakenly toggled. Mostly I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything like this and if I need to send my camera in for repair. Below are a couple of photos. One is from June of last year, one I took today. I went through in manual mode to make sure the settings matched as closely as possible. Both photos are in similar indoor lighting conditions from a foot or so away from an object. The old photo may have used a different lens, though I get the same results no matter which lens I use.

Camera Data:

Old Photo:

New Photo:

03-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first question might be, "What lens are you using?" followed by, "Can you confirm that the body stops this lens down to the set aperture for exposure?" The second question may be answered by setting the aperture e-dial to f/16 and the shutter e-dial to 2s. If the lens does not stop down or only stops down partially, there is an issue with the stop-down mechanism of either the lens or the body. The lens may be tested for smooth operation by taking it off the body and moving the aperture actuator manually by flicking it with your finger. The blades should open/close with a snappy motion and not binding or hesitation.

Steve
03-23-2016, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

My K10D had an issue where it would no longer stop down (most of the time, once in a while it did). I'm assuming you've tested multiple lenses? So test as Steve says -- if you get proper exposure when the lens is set to be wide-open (and so there is no stopping down to be done) and it gets worse the smaller you set the aperture (because it really is remaining wide-open), then that is probably your problem. If it is that much over-exposed ALWAYS, well I don't see how that would even be possible unless it is somehow stuck at some super-high ISO...
03-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
if you get proper exposure when the lens is set to be wide-open (and so there is no stopping down to be done) and it gets worse the smaller you set the aperture
Thanks for mentioning this approach.

Steve

03-24-2016, 12:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!
03-24-2016, 04:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
I'm using the standard Pentax 18-55 Lens that originally came with the camera for the current test photos. I've gotten the same issue using my other lenses, one is a Sigma 70-300 and the other is an older Ricoh 50mm. Manually actuating the lens seems smooth on both lenses.

I set up the settings you suggested with the following results on the 18-55mm lens.

With Flash

Without Flash:

I tested with the 50mm lens as well, the 50mm lens without the flash was more or less like the above "with flash" and the 50mm lens with flash was a solid white screen.

Also I know using the flash is not always the best practice etc, I've gotten responses about that other places I've asked about this issue. I've been using the flash because it does make this issue more pronounced and obvious. I know from using this camera for years that putting it in fully automatic with flash should give some sort of "ok" photo under most circumstances. Suddenly everything started becoming super washed out as shown here. I also tested using an external flash with the same results.
03-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Use a more deliberate procedure to see what is going on. Don't complicate it with flash, just shoot outdoors where there is plenty of light. (We want to isolate the problem.) Put it in Av mode and force it to use widest aperture for the lens. It should adjust shutter speed and/or ISO (put it on auto ISO) to give you proper exposure. I'm guessing it will look fine. Now set the aperture to be several stops closed down from wide open. It should adjust shutter to be slower and/or ISO to be higher. Does it seem to be making these exposure adjustments to shutter/iso as it should? Assuming yes, if resulting picture is blown out, it is probably because it is not stopping down.

With most lenses if you turn the lens around to face yourself, you can see the aperture open and close -- set it to a slow shutter speed so you can see it (1 second or more) with the aperture at f/22 (so there will be something to see) and watch through the lens if it is closing down or not.

I think it is a little weird it is SO blown out in your earlier above pictures at only (supposedly) f4.5, especially on the 18-55 where that is at most one stop from wide open but if you were using the flash there maybe. But still, first you must see if it is stopping down properly. If it is, well then something must be seriously wonky with the metering or your flash has gone crazy or something. (So first verify you have same problem without flash.)
03-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Use a more deliberate procedure to see what is going on.
Yep...you don't even need to make an exposure. All you need to do is to confirm that the aperture mechanism is working.

Steve

03-25-2016, 04:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
I'll check out the aperture mechanism today and get back later.
03-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Yeah, dismount the lens and check its aperture lever, if it works normally. And then put it on the camera, select M and choose something like f11 or f16 and a relatively slow shutter speed, then take a photo and look into the lens, to see if the aperture blades move as they should
Also, make sure the lens' and camera mounts are all clean, free of grime or particles.