Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Shipping costs for repair

Hi everyone,

I have a simple question: does anyone know how much I will be charged (approximately) by my retailer to send back a lens to the manufacturer. I'm talking about the shipping costs only, not the actual repair.

03-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It all depends

You have a couple of different options. USPS priority mail is usually the cheapest if the lens weights less than 2 lbs and it usually less than 12 dollars. If the lens weights more than 2 lbs than the the Flat rate box are usually cheaper, but you are limited to the pre-sized boxes and the cost varies from 10-15 dollars. Over 3 lbs than UPS or FedEx ground is usually cheaper but takes longer. The retailer will often charge a "handling fee" but it shuld not be more than 20.
03-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply, but I was talking about what a reseller would charge me to send it back.

I have a Sigma lens whose firmware needs an (free, according to Sigma) update. The "only" thing I'll have to pay for is shipping. But my dealer could not give me the price...
03-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Azergoth Quote
Thanks for your reply, but I was talking about what a reseller would charge me to send it back.

I have a Sigma lens whose firmware needs an (free, according to Sigma) update. The "only" thing I'll have to pay for is shipping. But my dealer could not give me the price...
Are you located in Belgium? Belgium is serviced by Sigma Benelux, which is located Houten in the Netherlands. Not that far away

See contact details here:
Contact | Sigma Benelux

So your retailer shouldn't charge you more than what it would cost to send a package there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not that hard to do the firmware update on your own. It shouldn't take more than 30 mins.
03-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you located in Belgium? Belgium is serviced by Sigma Benelux, which is located Houten in the Netherlands. Not that far away

See contact details here:
Contact | Sigma Benelux

So your retailer shouldn't charge you more than what it would cost to send a package there.
I already contacted them and they told me to go to a reseller. They also told me the update would be free

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
It's not that hard to do the firmware update on your own. It shouldn't take more than 30 mins.
I suppose Sigma will do that even faster. If it took them 30 minutes, it won't be free and I wouldn't do it :-)
03-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I already contacted them and they told me to go to a reseller. They also told me the update would be free

I suppose Sigma will do that even faster. If it took them 30 minutes, it won't be free and I wouldn't do it :-)
Might your lens be one of the new products that are designed to work with the Sigma USB Lens Dock? If so, the dealers are supposed to offer firmware updates free of charge and are supposed to have a dock on site.

Steve

(...has the 17-70/2.8-4 Contemporary which is known to have a firmware-fixed AF issue...been lazy getting it fixed...may yet buy a Dock...)
03-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Might your lens be one of the new products that are designed to work with the Sigma USB Lens Dock? If so, the dealers are supposed to offer firmware updates free of charge and are supposed to have a dock on site.

Steve

(...has the 17-70/2.8-4 Contemporary which is known to have a firmware-fixed AF issue...been lazy getting it fixed...may yet buy a Dock...)
Hi :-)

No, it's an older lens ;-) The 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM (not Art). So I'll have to send it back or live without live view

By the way, my dealer asks 20€ for an update with their dock... :/

Last edited by Azergoth; 03-27-2016 at 11:52 AM.
03-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter

By the way, my dealer askes 20€ for an update with their dock...
Hmmm...if that is how it is, I may just buy a Dock!

Steve
03-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hmmm...if that is how it is, I may just buy a Dock!

Steve
Maybe your dealer will do it for free... you could ask him ;-) Or find a friend who has one ;-)

The problem is that Sigma doesn't make Pentax lenses anymore. So the dock won't be very useful for the future.
03-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter

The problem is that Sigma doesn't make Pentax lenses anymore.
Someone better tell Sigma. They don't support all mounts on all lenses and haven't for many years, but when they rolled out their most recent lines, Pentax was supported at a higher level than Sony, for example.

Steve
03-28-2016, 02:11 AM   #12

Original Poster
Someone better tell Sigma. They don't support all mounts on all lenses and haven't for many years, but when they rolled out their most recent lines, Pentax was supported at a higher level than Sony, for example.

Steve
Maybe better than Sigma, but they recently released an official adaptor, which is not as good as native lenses, but still.
As far as I know, there is only one single Art lens for Pentax.