Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2016, 06:49 PM   #46

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't think anyone is defending Ricoh or the current state of the repair system. Ricoh is not really involved except to pay Precision for the repair. And to step in if Precision drops the ball. But that has not happened here. The camera will be repaired when the parts are available. Filing consumer complaints against a company that has done nothing wrong is the issue.
I'm sorry, but I think you're wrong in this. Ricoh has restricted us to one place that is allowed to repair the camera (in the US). If you look at reviews of other repair houses before Ricoh limited us to Precision Camera, you'd see people were happier. These other places probably charged more, which is why Ricoh took them off the approved repair houses. Why else would Ricoh take off a repair house people were happy with?

04-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ohmic314 Quote
I'm sorry, but I think you're wrong in this. Ricoh has restricted us to one place that is allowed to repair the camera (in the US). If you look at reviews of other repair houses before Ricoh limited us to Precision Camera, you'd see people were happier. These other places probably charged more, which is why Ricoh took them off the approved repair houses. Why else would Ricoh take off a repair house people were happy with?
Let me be perfectly clear. You are out of line.

Done and Done.
04-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #48
mee
Veteran Member

In the world of big contracts, lowest bidder generally wins.

I'm pretty dissatisfied with having 1 authorized repair facility here, but I wouldn't consider BBB or chargebacks or even mention them to anyone until at least mid April after Precision has had ample time to get parts. .

Yes, I know that's a loooooonnng wait. But if the parts are on order then it is just a sit and wait matter. No amount of discussion with anyone is going to speed it up.

THAT SAID, I would still (politely) let Ricoh know how this makes you feel as a customer of a mid level camera looking to upgrade to bigger lenses and camera bodies in the future. It is pretty much the norm (There have been articles written on the same delays in parts with Nikon for instance) but the norm quite frankly stinks. That said, outside of parts, Nikon has multiple authorized repair facilities stateside. I think Canon does too.

I think this is one way how they keep prices down and allow us to have dirt cheap 300 dollar camera bodies though.. skimp on repair services..
04-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I think before prescicion the repair center was criss camera(?), if a recall correctly they were better at repair and comunication, but they suffer the same problem of not stocking parts for repairs.

04-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #50
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I think before prescicion the repair center was criss camera(?), if a recall correctly they were better at repair and comunication, but they suffer the same problem of not stocking parts for repairs.
Yes C.R.I.S. in Arizona

They had some issues but all in all I never read the pages of issues by numerous people like we read from Precision. They did have a warehouse in Colorado.. I think that closed a year or so after I joined here so I wasn't very familiar with it. I do believe one could just order parts and have them shipped (if you were willing to get your hands dirty). But I don't know just what kind and how many parts they had.
04-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if a recall correctly they were better at repair and comunication, but they suffer the same problem of not stocking parts for repairs.
And if I remember correctly much of the parts outages were during or immediately after the purchase by Ricoh. There was a lot of confusion at that point which I think is understandable. But CRIS got the bad rep for that which I think was unfair.

That said, RIcoh then pulled their business from CRIS and sent it to Precision so who knows what was really going on in the background. I had several things repaired at CRIS and felt the communication and responsiveness was much better.
04-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #52
Veteran Member

And if I remember correctly much of the parts outages were during or immediately after the purchase by Ricoh. There was a lot of confusion at that point which I think is understandable. But CRIS got the bad rep for that which I think was unfair.

That said, RIcoh then pulled their business from CRIS and sent it to Precision so who knows what was really going on in the background. I had several things repaired at CRIS and felt the communication and responsiveness was much better.
Sorry i wasnt talking about the repairs or the mess of Ricoh when theymade the switch to precision... I remember a few threads about the waiting for parts, a few delays in the order of months (mostly lens parts).

04-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Let me be perfectly clear. You are out of line.

Done and Done.
Mono did it ever occur to you that maybe you are out of line. You seem very personally invested.

Last edited by MikeD; 04-02-2016 at 04:29 AM.
04-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry i wasnt talking about the repairs or the mess of Ricoh when theymade the switch to precision... I remember a few threads about the waiting for parts, a few delays in the order of months (mostly lens parts).
So was I. I talked to folks at CRIS at that time and was told that they were waiting on parts from Pentax but that because of the purchase and handoff that the parts pipeline was very confused. I guess you could blame Hoya or Ricoh, but any kind of change of that magnitude is likely to have issues. I heard later that Ricoh was re-doing the entire parts supply chain / warehouse system but that was third hand so no idea if true or not.
04-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #55
Veteran Member

So was I. I talked to folks at CRIS at that time and was told that they were waiting on parts from Pentax but that because of the purchase and handoff that the parts pipeline was very confused. I guess you could blame Hoya or Ricoh, but any kind of change of that magnitude is likely to have issues. I heard later that Ricoh was re-doing the entire parts supply chain / warehouse system but that was third hand so no idea if true or not.
Maybe was you, i dont remember very well, i believe was a DA* lens... But anyway, my point is you cant blame Cris at that moment or Prescicion at this for the delay for parts that they dont stock or ran out of stock, the order of parts have been made your camera is on hold for the parts and Ricoh is honouring the warranty, not in the time everyone wants, but i hope they repair the camera asap and return it to you working properly.
04-02-2016, 03:44 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Mono did it ever occur to you that maybe you are out of line, of course not. You seem very personally invested.
I don't believe his story. What's the point of coming on here and ruining the K-1 experience for everyone else over a rather normal, so far, repair experience. I mean, we're not Ricoh Customer Service are we? He's either here to make us all miserable because he can't get what he wants or he's paid to be here spewing this line. In normal circumstances people don't behave that way.

I have at times been far more critical of Ricoh than this guy. And the funny thing is, I've NEVER, EVER had a problem contacting Ricoh or getting a quick response about anything.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-02-2016 at 04:01 AM.
04-02-2016, 04:57 AM - 3 Likes   #57
Veteran Member

I don't believe his story. What's the point of coming on here and ruining the K-1 experience for everyone else over a rather normal, so far, repair experience. I mean, we're not Ricoh Customer Service are we? He's either here to make us all miserable because he can't get what he wants or he's paid to be here spewing this line. In normal circumstances people don't behave that way.

I have at times been far more critical of Ricoh than this guy. And the funny thing is, I've NEVER, EVER had a problem contacting Ricoh or getting a quick response about anything.
What K1 experience? they haven't even started shipping. And last I checked this whole site was not about the K1, nor was it the K3II a yr ago. Yes it is the hottest topic which is natural. Seems you and I are reading his post in two completely different ways. I read a post from a guy who seems to be getting the run around from two different sides and "assuming his story is true", he is. It should not take months to get something simple fixed. A 30 day turn around from when Precision gets the camera should be plenty of time assuming they can get the parts, which according to him Ricoh says they have. You read his post and say he is a lier. He didn't say he had a problem contacting Ricoh, he said he couldn't get past the first line of customer service and hasn't gotten a response from his email which they said he should send. I'm going to make an assumption and a guess you have a K1 on order and can't sleep at night so it's making you cranky
04-02-2016, 04:59 AM   #58
Veteran Member

He's either here to make us all miserable because he can't get what he wants or he's paid to be here spewing this line.
I also think his expectations are out of line, but why the conspiracy theories? I think you need to go and tell Jim Malcolm about it
04-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #59
mee
Veteran Member

When I asked Ricoh CS about the old parts warehouse, I was told Ricoh is a B2B company and I couldn't (as an individual customer) get parts. My GUESS is closing of the warehouse was part of the contract agreement with Precision to ensure they got more work. Low ball the contract price (in favor Ricoh) but funnel all the work to Precision (in favor Precision) seems likely to me. Win-Win for them

Now it seems the parts come from overseas and there seemingly is no parts warehouse stateside..

---------- Post added 04-02-16 at 09:33 AM ----------

If you think he is ruining the K-1 experience for 'everyone else' by discussing issues with his K-50's repair, then I think you're too invested in this forum and the Pentax gear as a significant part of your life..

This seems to be someone who is used to a more responsive CS experience in general that wants that experience to translate over here.

Either agreeing with him being reasonable with his complaints or not, it is much too far a stretch to claim hes here to make us all miserable or that he is ruining some chimerical K-1 experience.
04-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
My GUESS is closing of the warehouse was part of the contract agreement with Precision to ensure they got more work.
It was my understanding that the "parts warehouse" we discussed was in Japan and supplied globally, nothing to do with USA. But they never said that, just what my impression was at the time and maybe I misunderstood. This was not long after the Ricoh purchase and things seemed to be a bit confused all around.