Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #1

Self-Repairable Pentax 18-55mm?

This is a follow up to my post about the fall I took with camera in hand; this time about the lens. The 18-55mm took the brunt of the impact, apparently. Here are some pictures:

I have no experience repairing any lens of any camera, but this looks like I ought to be able to unscrew those 5 small screws around the the part that is broken and put on a new one. It does not look like the part itself should be very expensive, even with a hefty markup.

But am I wrong? Will springs fly and pieces fall onto the floor as soon as I remove the part?

Next question: Where does one get parts like this?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images

04-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hjourzt Quote
Will springs fly and pieces fall onto the floor as soon as I remove the part?
Yes.
Where does one get parts like this?
You don't. Pentax does not sell parts to consumers. You could try for a donor lens on ebay and attempt to swap parts. Personally I would just source ebay for a new lens, the 18-55 is plentiful and not expensive. I hate to lose a piece of gear as much as anybody and I have repaired a number of lenses over the years but in this case, IMHO, not worth the effort. You could swap all the parts successfully and then find that there is internal damage to the optical alignment and have a paperweight anyway.
04-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

In your case, the fact that this lens has a plastic mount probably saved your K-50 from suffering damage, and also isolated the damage to the lens itself.

A DIY mount transplant should be doable, assuming nothing else is wrong with the lens. Here are a few previous discussions on the subject:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/127674-pent...placement.html
SMC Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

You also have the option of replacing the plastic mount with a metal one, but to keep things simple I wouldn't go down that route with this lens.

Next question: Where does one get parts like this?
Since you'll want the mount to be more or less identical, you'd need a donor lens. Ebay is a good place to find those. Retail parts are no longer available.

Then again, a second-hand lens like this one in good working order should be well under $100...so while it might be fun, fixing the lens probably wouldn't be economical.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Then again, a second-hand lens like this one in good working order should be well under $100..
12 listings on ebay ranging from BIN $49 and up. Average seems to be in the $65 range.

04-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Like Adam said, the fact that this had a plastic mount probably saved your camera. I had the exact same thing happen to me with my DA L 18-55 a few years ago and it saved my camera. The 18-55 is not too expensive, so getting a used one would probably not cost very much. I hate to see a good lens go to waste too and had entertained the idea of buying a similar dead lens for a little money and just do a transplant of the mount, but what got me getting another one in the end was also the fact that when the plastic mount broke, some of the little 'ball bearings' that formed the connection between the lens and the camera flew out.

Good luck with your search!
04-11-2016, 06:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks gang. I'll get used if I can find a good looking one. Seems that this was much less of a disaster than at the time I was pulling myself up off the rocks.