Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

Extended warranty free CLA service with Precision Camera?

I'm debating whether to send in a K-30 to Precision for the extended warranty's free cleaning/adjustment. It seems to be working fine, so I'm wondering if it's worth the effort and potential hassle. (It's "now or never," as the warranty soon expires.) Can anyone report on their experiences doing this? Thanks much.

04-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K-3 was taking longer than before to AF and my viewfinder was dusty. I sent it last week. Got it back yesterday. So far happy with their job.
04-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
My K-3 was taking longer than before to AF and my viewfinder was dusty. I sent it last week. Got it back yesterday. So far happy with their job.
Despite my problems with their communications and their ability to track items through the lifecycle of repair they seem to do mostly good work. A few lens repairs have been a disaster for forum members but most camera repairs have been successful if slow at times.
04-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
A few lens repairs have been a disaster for forum members but most camera repairs have been successful if slow at times.
Slow might be waiting on parts. The lens issues might have been techs not fully trained up on Pentax. Trying to be positive on this but it does seem as if lately there have been far fewer issues, and reported turn around time seems really fast. That just might be statistical anomaly with us only seeing good reports lately but I am hopeful. Certainly Ricoh has heard loud and clear that things were not good with Precision last fall. If they have stepped up their game I'm happy.

I have my 16-85 at Precision right now. AF failed to function. Unfortunately there is no way to write up an online repair ticket for that lens because there is no selection for the 16-85 on Precision's web site. I asked Ricoh what to do and they said just send it to Precision with my return address, a copy of the sales receipt and a note about what was wrong. That feels a whole lot like just dumping my lens in a black hole but I'm trying to stay positive.

04-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lititz Quote
...It seems to be working fine...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Precision has poor customer communications. If anything happens during the cleaning your camera might sit there for weeks or months.
04-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Slow might be waiting on parts. The lens issues might have been techs not fully trained up on Pentax. Trying to be positive on this but it does seem as if lately there have been far fewer issues, and reported turn around time seems really fast. That just might be statistical anomaly with us only seeing good reports lately but I am hopeful. Certainly Ricoh has heard loud and clear that things were not good with Precision last fall. If they have stepped up their game I'm happy.

I have my 16-85 at Precision right now. AF failed to function. Unfortunately there is no way to write up an online repair ticket for that lens because there is no selection for the 16-85 on Precision's web site. I asked Ricoh what to do and they said just send it to Precision with my return address, a copy of the sales receipt and a note about what was wrong. That feels a whole lot like just dumping my lens in a black hole but I'm trying to stay positive.
My K50 went in with the same kind of documentation - they didn't have their online system fully up when I sent it. They received it claimed they had NOT - I had to make multiple phone calls and provide a tracking number for them to "Find it" and then they put it in queue. It was received by me repaired before they took it out of waiting for repair status. So I would start calling if I were you to make sure that they know they received it - a tracking acknowledgement isn't enough.
04-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I had a camera repair/cleaning fairly recently by Precision. The camera was sent, serviced, and received by me repair/cleaning complete within 5 days. I have never had any difficulty contacting customer service or tracking an item on their web site during processing. My camera is clean inside/out and I have not had function problems since I received it back. The service was completely covered by my Pentax/Ricoh warranty. I am actually satisfied and proud of what Precision has done for me.

---------- Post added 04-12-16 at 02:47 PM ----------

Pentax customer service advised me to include a phone number when I send anything to Precision. I was told Precision uses the phone number as a reference when posting repair status tracking.

04-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I had a camera repair/cleaning fairly recently by Precision. The camera was sent, serviced, and received by me repair/cleaning complete within 5 days. I have never had any difficulty contacting customer service or tracking an item on their web site during processing. My camera is clean inside/out and I have not had function problems since I received it back. The service was completely covered by my Pentax/Ricoh warranty. I am actually satisfied and proud of what Precision has done for me.
That is good to hear.
04-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Pentax customer service advised me to include a phone number when I send anything to Precision. I was told Precision uses the phone number as a reference when posting repair status tracking.
Thanks, yeah I did that. Two copies of all my info in the box, one wrapped around the lens. Sent it signature required.
They received it claimed they had NOT - I had to make multiple phone calls and provide a tracking number for them to "Find it" and then they put it in queue.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I was going to give them a week and then call for an update.

Sadly, as I closed the box my only thought was "poor 16-85, I'll never see you again." Still hoping for a positive outcome though.

The 16-85 and the 12-24 are the only DA lenses I've kept. (Except for the DA*60-250 and DA*300) So I'm really missing the 16-85 right now.
04-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, yeah I did that. Two copies of all my info in the box, one wrapped around the lens. Sent it signature required.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I was going to give them a week and then call for an update.

Sadly, as I closed the box my only thought was "poor 16-85, I'll never see you again." Still hoping for a positive outcome though.

The 16-85 and the 12-24 are the only DA lenses I've kept. (Except for the DA*60-250 and DA*300) So I'm really missing the 16-85 right now.
On the plus side they seem to be really getting better...
04-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the plus side they seem to be really getting better...
Yes, only good reports recently. A couple posts saying 1 week turnaround? That is extremely good. If they can do that consistently they will make a believer out of me.
04-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not going to be adding any new viewpoints to the thread, but I'll add my anecdote so that eventually, the anecdotes can become data.

I sent in my K30 about a week ago for the aperture lever issue under warranty. The automated status thing on their website says that it's held up waiting for parts. Nothing surprising there based on other comments on this board. I emailed them to ask when they are expecting to get the parts in, for my own planning purposes (I'm moving in a few months, and while I thoroughly expect it to be back by then, I like being reassured). No response. Also, nothing surprising based on other comments on the board. We'll see when I get the camera back and if it's all systems go.
04-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Thanks, yeah I did that. Two copies of all my info in the box, one wrapped around the lens.
You're welcome.
04-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

Yes, only good reports recently. A couple posts saying 1 week turnaround? That is extremely good. If they can do that consistently they will make a believer out of me.
I like the positivity, but I am not in that camp just yet. It seems their issue was never much in the way of body cleaning or much even in body repair (outside of them once using the parts from one customer's K-3 inside another customer's other K-3 and not mentioning it to either of them -- there is a 'fun' thread on that one if you missed it) but instead in lens repair.. I wouldn't have a big issue sending a camera body there. I'd still really ponder before sending a lens to them though..

1 week turn around is their touted repair timeline.. so if they are actually meeting that (with true repairs) then good on them. Ricoh is probably putting a fire under their hineys. If so, double good!! But color me skeptical at this point that they're in the clear and have turned another leaf.. and if they were as bad as some of us experienced, what is to say they don't go back? There was talk that their contract is up in the summer (around June). So maybe they are picking up the pace to renew that contract to which then they will fall back to old habits? You might think that is pessimistic, but I dealt with the 'dark' side of Precision so one bitten..

That said, to the person who asked, what do you think you'll get out of a CLA from Precision? They'll dust the body, remove any smudges, and maybe blow out the mirror box. Mostly just the C in CLA. There's no real need for the L these days on a camera body and I doubt they do any of the A. Soo.. why risk it? One can do this themselves within an hour.
04-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I like the positivity, but I am not in that camp just yet.
Since they have my 16-85 maybe it is just wishful thinking............... hope?
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'd still really ponder before sending a lens to them though
No choice, it is warranty repair..............