Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the feedback on my question. I had a good experience, some years ago, with the extended warranty free cleaning/adjustment service from CRIS (when they were the Pentax repair center). The documentation they sent back with the camera (a K-X) indicated that they both cleaned the sensor and recalibrated the autofocus, in addition to whatever else they checked. So I was wondering if that's what Precision does now, or if the service level was more cursory (given other recent comments about Precision). As the AF seems fine and I clean sensors myself, maybe it's not worth the effort to send it in.

05-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Nothing like a dSLR with an extended warranty

Send it in!

Sent in my K-5 Jan 2016 just a few weeks before the extended warranty ended. I also did the same some years ago for my K20D. The K20D did need service however during the extra two years.

Buying the extended warranty was a no brainer. At the higher price, think about it, then do it if you can. dSLRs are precision instruments. Don't fool yourself. They do fall out of spec. My K20D autofocus was off. Here is what Precision Camera did for my K-5. The camera gets hooked up to a very special computer than can perform all kinds of adjustments through the firmware AFAIK. I could tell they did clean it as the view finder was really clear, they cleaned the focus screen and sensor and exterior! Even though the warranty is more now its still worth it. You get an extra two years of warranty (USA) and at the end send in your dSLR and get it back knowing its as good as the first day you bought it. You have to have some trust.

[IMG][/IMG]
06-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #18
Forum Member

Focusing screen

I recently sent my K-30 in for the free cleaning. It arrived today and they cleaned and calibrated the camera. They also replaced the focusing screen. However, it's poorly calibrated and back focused in the viewfinder. The phase detection autofocus works just fine. I have a lot of manual lenses though, so this is not a solution.

I guess I'll have to give them a call and see what they can do. At this point, I wonder if I should have sent it in at all.
06-10-2016, 06:14 AM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
You have to have some trust.
Reading the post right after yours, kind of tests the trust. If my K3 is still working properly towards the end of the warranty, I'm not sure I'll chance sending it in for cleaning.