Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Are the 2-year Pentax extended warranties still available ?

When I purchased my two previous cameras, K-7 and K5, I purchased a $20 2-year extended warranty.

Currently I am thinking about purchasing a K-3. Are these warranties still available? An online chat with Adorama offered a Leaf 3-year for $25, but I am not sure how it compares.

04-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyL Quote
When I purchased my two previous cameras, K-7 and K5, I purchased a $20 2-year extended warranty.

Currently I am thinking about purchasing a K-3. Are these warranties still available? An online chat with Adorama offered a Leaf 3-year for $25, but I am not sure how it compares.
Yes they are, but the price has gone up to $50:
Pentax Extended Warranty ENTWARRANTY-ENTRYMIDILC B&H Photo Video

If the Leaf warranty covers drops and spills, I'd go for it instead.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When did the Pentax warranty go up? that sucks
04-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Tri State Camera still sells supposedly the earlier version of the "PENTAX - 2-Year Extended Warranty For All Current Digital Cameras (3 Years Total)".

The price is $14.95 and shipping is free. It is most likely intended for K series DSLRs earlier than the K-1 and the specs mention it is not intended for the 645D.

The web address to it is below:

PENTAX | 2-Year Extended Warranty For All Current Digital Cameras (3 Years Total) *FREE SHIPPING* | 85716 | Tri-State Camera, Video, and Computer

04-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes they are, but the price has gone up to $50:
Pentax Extended Warranty ENTWARRANTY-ENTRYMIDILC B&H Photo Video

If the Leaf warranty covers drops and spills, I'd go for it instead.
The B&H site says it is for cameras with an MSRP less than $1000 So it won't be for the K-1.
04-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I actually bought the warranty I mentioned in my earlier post for my K-3II in approximately October of last year (2015).
04-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The B&H site says it is for cameras with an MSRP less than $1000 So it won't be for the K-1.
Correct, the one for the K-1 is $110:

Pentax Extended Warranty for Advanced ADVWARRANTY-ADVILC B&H

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Tri State Camera still sells supposedly the earlier version of the "PENTAX - 2-Year Extended Warranty For All Current Digital Cameras (3 Years Total)".
If you manage to get this old warranty, you'll be grandfathered in under the old price- but note that you still have to buy it within 30 days of the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

New Leaf 3 Year Extended Warranty, Cameras under $2000 DIG3U2K Looks like a much better buy than the Pentax warranty.. note it starts at day 1 of your purchase.. not after the 1 yr that comes with the camera body expires.

Still.. 50 bucks for 3 years seems nice on the surface.. repair or replace guarantee too supposedly. And maybe no dealing with Precision?

Seems way more reasonable than the new warranty. The one for sub 1000 dollar bodies is even less..

Has anyone dealt with this warranty service here before?
04-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Move to Canada.
Here Pentax comes with a two year warranty.
04-18-2016, 08:49 PM - 2 Likes   #10
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Move to Canada.
Here Pentax comes with a two year warranty.
Also maybe superior repair services?

Hmm but the trade off is the wintry weather in the winter and the accent would be troubling though don't ya know.. eh..
04-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know that not everyone trusts Consumer Reports, but their recommendation on extended warranties is that they are almost never worth the money. If the product is of such low quality that it will spontaneous fail within two or three years, it probably isn't worth buying. According to CR surveys, the number of purchasers who actually needed to use such a warranty for a diverse array of products was insignificant. 95% or more paid out but never had cause to use such insurance. Insurance is always stacked in favor of the seller. They know the probability of anyone collecting and adjust the rate such that a lot more money comes in than goes out.

As Calvin's dad explained to him: life insurance is a bet with a company about whether you are going to live or die in a certain length of time. If you live, you lose. The only way to win is to die.

Are you willing to pay $50 extra for a camera to get either peace of mind, or nothing, without foreknowledge of which?
04-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Also maybe superior repair services?
Yep mine was repaired in less than 2 weeks.
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Hmm but the trade off is the wintry weather in the winter and the accent would be troubling though don't ya know.. eh..
That's an advantage the snow...
04-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
If the product is of such low quality that it will spontaneous fail within two or three years, it probably isn't worth buying.
I guess that would apply to most cameras and computers. (See CU's reliability stats for cameras and computers...)

I generally agree with CU's advice, though with a few exceptions for expensive electronics intended for field use. When my daughter started university a few years back, I bought her a high-end Dell business-class laptop. I also added the available 3-year warranty extension for an extra $150 (or there abouts). That computer went in for repair twice and replacement once within the warranty period (4 years). It appears that students are hard on their laptops and while there were no overt drops or spills she still had problems.

I am typing on a Lenovo ThinkPad business-class laptop that for the most part has lived its life out on my kitchen counter with occasional excursions to exotic locations. It required a new display within the first three months of ownership and at about 24 months the on-board camera failed. The $100 two-year warranty extension would have been a bargain, but I neglected to do the purchase

I consider cameras to be in the same class of equipment and as a result was happy to pay out the $20 for the extension on my K-3. In my opinion $100 is still not overpriced, though if a 3rd-party policy that includes drops/spills is also available in the same price range is even better (assuming "replace with like" terms).

Steve
04-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many credit cards add a year of additional coverage too. Check your terms.
04-19-2016, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm glad OP asked this question. I bought my K-50 from B&H in March, but didn't have the funds to buy the warranty. I planned on getting that in April, which that idea fell through also. So knowing I'll have the funds in May, I'm glad to hear an extended warranty is still available to purchase. My other cameras were used versions and warranties were not available for two or more years cameras.