Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If memory serves, the warranty needs to be purchased within 30 days of the purchase date of the camera.

Edit: okay, on the B&H site it says 30 days, but over at us.ricoh-imaging.com/support/warranty/extended-warranty it says two months.

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I'm glad OP asked this question. I bought my K-50 from B&H in March, but didn't have the funds to buy the warranty. I planned on getting that in April, which that idea fell through also. So knowing I'll have the funds in May, I'm glad to hear an extended warranty is still available to purchase. My other cameras were used versions and warranties were not available for two or more years cameras.

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 04-19-2016 at 02:39 PM.
04-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
okay, on the B&H site it says 30 days, but over at us.ricoh-imaging.com/support/warranty/extended-warranty it says two months.
Do you know the price of this warranty from Ricoh? I've got the page up but no intention of doing it today though. I'd like to know if the price is the same as B&H before I commit.

And thanks for that information.
04-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
So one would think that either the quality of the product has down down significantly or the cost of servicing gone up like crazy. I would not think Ricoh is just greedy..
04-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Me too. In December. For about $18.

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I actually bought the warranty I mentioned in my earlier post for my K-3II in approximately October of last year (2015).

04-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
but over at us.ricoh-imaging.com/support/warranty/extended-warranty it says two months.
I was on the phone to Ricoh imaging support today and he (Randy) claims that to purchase the extended warranty I had to buy it from B&H. I told him B&H's policy on that was I had to purchase with in 30 days but that Ricoh's own policy is the purchase from date of purchase, I would have 2 months to purchase extended warranty. He asked where I read that and I gave him the url. When he read the same thing I was seeing, he said he would need to call cooperate and ask them. He attempted to contact them but assumed they were at lunch being it was lunch time. Anyway, he took my phone number, my name and email address and said he would call cooperate again and would find out what their policy is on this, then contact me about what they said. He said if it's on the webpage, that the policy is two months, they should honor that policy.

We'll see.
04-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Update: Randy got in touch with me, via phone. He said that the extended warranty is not available after 30 days. Apparently, the website posted above is an old page and cannot be accessed via Ricoh Imaging site. He advises anyone thinking about getting the extended warranty to buy directly from the site the camera was purchased on and during the 30 days.

I just wanted everyone to know, not to go the website posted above because there is no option on that page to even buy a warranty. It's a Pentax registration site.

This link:

http://us.ricoh-imaging.com/support/warranty/extended-warranty/
04-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info, photolady. Why is this so complicated? lol

FWIW, I emailed Ricoh a couple weeks ago and was told as long as the warranty was purchased within 30 days of receiving the camera (not the pre-order date, but receipt date), they would honor it. The person who answered my email was "Randall". Amazon doesn't have the extended warranties, at least not the last time I looked, so I would not be able to buy it from the place of purchase. I don't know why I couldn't buy it from B&H.

I've pretty much decided to take a chance and depend on my credit card's free extended warranty, which will give me two years total. $110 is a lot to spend when I'm already spending so much on the camera and other accessories, like a new bag, strap, etc.

04-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do you know the price of this warranty from Ricoh? I've got the page up but no intention of doing it today though. I'd like to know if the price is the same as B&H before I commit.

And thanks for that information.
The B&H pricing is correct.

When I told the new Ricoh reps at WPPI that a 3-year warranty used to only cost $20, they couldn't believe it! At the same time, I stressed the importance of making warranty terms and conditions very clear. They need to add an overview of the different warranties offered, and to make the terms crystal clear.

$110 really isn't a bad deal for the K-1. In comparison, Nikon wants $190 just for 2 years for the D800 family.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The warranty I was wanting is for the K-50. I can't afford the new camera and don't really want it anyway. It has a articulating screen and I never cared for those, yes, I know before someone tells me, it has a viewfinder but the other problem is, it's too big to fit my tiny hands.
04-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The warranty I was wanting is for the K-50. I can't afford the new camera and don't really want it anyway. It has a articulating screen and I never cared for those, yes, I know before someone tells me, it has a viewfinder but the other problem is, it's too big to fit my tiny hands.
For the K-50 and other DSLRs under $1000, the 3-year warranty price is now $50.

Pentax Extended Warranty ENTWARRANTY-ENTRYMIDILC B&H Photo Video

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For the K-50 and other DSLRs under $1000, the 3-year warranty price is now $50.
Thanks Adam but I was referring to the link, or more specifically the website QuarterMaster James provided earlier in this thread. It's an old page on Ricoh's site and isn't accessible from the Ricoh imaging site. There it states you can get an extended Warranty for any camera under $1000 but you have two (2) months to buy one. That isn't true of course, if you want the extended warranty you have to buy it from where you purchased the camera, according to the gentleman I talked to at Ricoh support today.
04-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks Adam but I was referring to the link, or more specifically the website QuarterMaster James provided earlier in this thread. It's an old page on Ricoh's site and isn't accessible from the Ricoh imaging site. There it states you can get an extended Warranty for any camera under $1000 but you have two (2) months to buy one. That isn't true of course, if you want the extended warranty you have to buy it from where you purchased the camera, according to the gentleman I talked to at Ricoh support today.
I'll work on getting all this clarified. It would be nice if an updated page with terms and conditions were available.

Adam

04-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It would be nice if an updated page with terms and conditions were available.
That's what Randy said. That Ricoh should have an updated page about extended warranty with terms and conditions.

I told him also about my being a moderator on PentaxForums. com and told him you owned it. I hope that was okay, because I also gave him your name.
04-23-2016, 06:23 AM   #29
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyL Quote
So one would think that either the quality of the product has down down significantly or the cost of servicing gone up like crazy. I would not think Ricoh is just greedy..

We can only guess..

My fav guess would be they are increasing the cost of the warranty because they're going to leave Precision for something better.. but I'm guessing that because I want that to happen, not because I know anything you don't.

Maybe a more accurate guess is the ~$20 warranty was sold at loss and they've crunched the numbers to see how much it really costs them today..

There are guesses as to why in there too.. having to ship items two or three times to Precision on their dime and have them spend man hours relooking at said items is probably also costly... then replacing the item completely with a new one when they realize they have no clue how to fix it. that's also costly..

Or maybe they're staying put but are hiring more people.. or maybe they are doing nothing extra and the money is going into their taco tuesday lunch fund.. don't know.
04-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #30
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
was happy to pay out the $20 for the extension on my K-3.
For me, the $20 extended Pentax warranty for my K3 was a no brainer. If I don't need it, I'm a winner, if I do need it; I'm still a winner.