Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #1

Pentax MX stiff shutter

I have recently repaired one of my Pentax MX cameras (I have two) and it works very well, but the shutter button is very stiff. I mean that when I try to fire the shutter you encounter resistance when you try and press it. You have to press harder until it goes down and fires the shutter. My guess was that it is getting stuck on something, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Is there anyone here who have encountered anything similar on Pentax cameras from this era?

I have not had the main body of the camera apart, only the top and bottom cover.

/Gheed

04-26-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

Original Poster
That is awesome! Thanks for the info!

Cheers

---------- Post added 04-26-16 at 09:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The front of the MX is pretty easy to remove.

Pry off the little plastic dot on the self timer and remove the screw holding the timer handle on. You can then peel off the front leatherettes and get access to the 4 screws that hold the front plate on. The front then pulls up and off. Just be careful not to break the meter wires, which will remain attached. You should then have access to pretty much the entire shutter linkage and might be able to see what's wrong.

Here's a thread where I provided some pics showing how the front removes:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/311985-locat...ontacts-2.html

You can see the shutter linkage shaft below the MX logo in the 3rd pic.

When you reassemble, just be careful

One question though, what do you use to reattach the leatherettes? I am assuming the glue wont be good for reattachment.

Cheers