Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2016, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #31
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
OK, so it seems that the Repair section of the Ricoh website is broken. I can't seem to get to where the address of the facility is- only a mailing address that says not to ship to that location. Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair
This lens isn't listed, so you have to select "my model is not listed" from the list of lenses. It then takes you to this page Contact Us
So I tried the email "click here", and was taken to a page that suggested I was lost... :/
Oh, and I called them this morning only to be told to go to this same page to find the address.

This is what I got in email when they finally responded to my questions:

QuoteQuote:
The amounts you see online is a base rate given by the manufacturer that includes parts, labor and return shipping. The cost may increase if we need to order an excessive amount of parts, but you will be contacted for your approval first. If you would like to send your lens in for repair, please provide your name, address, and contact information. As well as the make model and serial number of the unit, and a detailed description of the issue the equipment is having. Wrap your information around the lens and secure with an elastic band. If this is covered under a manufacture warranty please include a copy of your sales receipt with your first and last name on it to validate the age of equipment and we will bill your manufacture. Barring any unforeseen issues the turn time on repair is 5 to 7 business days.

You can ship the lens to or drop off your unit at:
Precision Camera Repair
7 Anngina Drive
Enfield, CT 06082
Monday - Friday - 9am - 5pm
They also provided a quote (which was the same on their [Precision's] website).

If its warranty, it shouldn't cost anything unless the damage is beyond the scope of the warranty (drops for instance).

05-02-2016, 10:31 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
This is what I got in email when they finally responded to my questions:

They also provided a quote (which was the same on their [Precision's] website).

If its warranty, it shouldn't cost anything unless the damage is beyond the scope of the warranty (drops for instance).
Thanks!
05-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, a development. They only received my lens last Thursday, but it was shipped back on Tuesday, and will arrive tomorrow! I fear that they did nothing and may claim that I damaged the lens, although I don't see how. The camera was on a tripod when it failed. Even if they did, wouldn't they have contacted me and discussed options? Can't see how they would have had time to look at it, much less repair it...
05-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #34
mee
Pentaxian

Hmmm.. go here and enter the phone number you included with your camera: Precision Camera | Repair Status Lookup

See if it shows you a status.. maybe that will provide a clue. Beyond that, you'll (we'll) discover tomorrow why. I'm interested myself.. that is an awfully short turn around.

05-12-2016, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update!! Lens arrived today, repaired and functioning perfectly! Under "explanation of repairs", all it says is that it was repaired and cleaned. For me, Precision is batting 1000 about now.

05-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #36
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent news!
05-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #37
mee
Pentaxian

Update!! Lens arrived today, repaired and functioning perfectly! Under "explanation of repairs", all it says is that it was repaired and cleaned. For me, Precision is batting 1000 about now.
Yay. That's a rather vague explanation (I was curious what specifically broke) but at least it is repaired to your satisfaction.
05-14-2016, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Their turn-around time was surreal. They must have weekend or 24 hour shifts! I was already planning to substitute my Tamron 17-50 on one of my cameras to take to the air show today, and so was thrilled to have this lens back in time for that event. It is a much nicer lens than the Tammy in every way.

05-26-2016, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter

I promised to update everyone when my lens returned, which it did today.

To summarize, the auto-focus failed while I was on vacation and I sent it to Precision for warranty repair on April 5th. After several failed attempts to contact Precision for an update I contacted Ricoh on April 27th who checked the status and reported that the lens was in Japan. It arrived back today.

The lens now works again and testing shows it is fine. It does now require a +7 AF adjustment whereas it was at zero before.

The repair ticket shows "A complete repair and return all functions to factory specs." It also shows parts used as "Zoom Roller, Lens Element". Now why they needed a "zoom roller" and a "lens element" for an AF issue I've no idea but then I'm not a lens repair tech.

Anyway, lens is back, repaired under warranty, has more frequent flyer miles than I do and I'm glad this is over. 51 days door to door.

A lot has happened since I sent it in to Precision. When I packed it up the k-3II was my main camera and the 16-85 my main lens. Used almost every day for work or personal, over 2,000 images taken on my last trip. Now the k-3II is a backup and so is the 16-85, completely overshadowed by the K-1. Somehow seems sad the 16-85 was not there to get officially retired..............
06-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I promised to update everyone when my lens returned, which it did today.

To summarize, the auto-focus failed while I was on vacation and I sent it to Precision for warranty repair on April 5th. After several failed attempts to contact Precision for an update I contacted Ricoh on April 27th who checked the status and reported that the lens was in Japan. It arrived back today.

The lens now works again and testing shows it is fine. It does now require a +7 AF adjustment whereas it was at zero before.

The repair ticket shows "A complete repair and return all functions to factory specs." It also shows parts used as "Zoom Roller, Lens Element". Now why they needed a "zoom roller" and a "lens element" for an AF issue I've no idea but then I'm not a lens repair tech.

Anyway, lens is back, repaired under warranty, has more frequent flyer miles than I do and I'm glad this is over. 51 days door to door.

A lot has happened since I sent it in to Precision. When I packed it up the k-3II was my main camera and the 16-85 my main lens. Used almost every day for work or personal, over 2,000 images taken on my last trip. Now the k-3II is a backup and so is the 16-85, completely overshadowed by the K-1. Somehow seems sad the 16-85 was not there to get officially retired..............
Maybe mine was repaired so quickly because they practiced on yours
Have you tried it on the K-1 to see how much vignetting is there? I almost dread getting a K-1 because I know I'll use it all the time... and need a new 3TB drive...
06-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Maybe mine was repaired so quickly because they practiced on yours
Maybe, if so glad I could help

Have not tried it on the K-1, I have the 24-70 on the K-1 and the 16-85 on the K-3II for now. Will have to work out how these two will complement each other. When I used the K-3II and K-5IIs I could switch back and forth without much fuss. I usually went with the DA*16-50 on one body and the DA*60-250 on the other. With the K-1 I find I really don't want to use the backup camera.