Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HD DA 16-85 Failure

My 16-85 has mostly stayed on my K-3 since I purchased it direct from Amazon this past December. This morning I put the camera on a tripod to shoot a Rhododendron bush in my yard, and it wouldn't focus. Manual focus doesn't work, either, and there is a catch in the zoom at the wide end!
I will send it to Precision on Monday, I guess. Looking for the box now. Is it necessary to ship in oem box? Or just wrap it in bubble wrap? I'm a Pentax repair center noob... Anyone hear of this problem? The lens has never been dropped or abused.

04-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Had the same issue with mine. Sent to Precision on 5 April. Nothing since.

Contacted Ricoh this week and they looked into it for me. As far as they can tell Precision sent it to Japan and that is where it is at now.
04-30-2016, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Personally, I like to keep my original box and would not ship the lens in it to Precision. I don't know if they would keep track of shipping boxes. I keep the original box in case I ever want to sell the lens.
04-30-2016, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Personally, I like to keep my original box and would not ship the lens in it to Precision. I don't know if they would keep track of shipping boxes. I keep the original box in case I ever want to sell the lens.
I'm pretty sure they DISCARD all packing material. The box considered packing material... I wouldn't risk it.

04-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Precision sent it to Japan
04-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Yeah.

I find that unusual... to ship the lens TO Japan.. usually they ship parts FROM Japan.

I wonder if Pentax HQ wants to study the failure in your lens in order to determine if improvements need to be made to the design or manufacturing? But, even if this ends up being the case, WHY wouldn't they just ship you a new one versus holding you up like this?

Are you sure they didn't order parts from Japan?
04-30-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Are you sure they didn't order parts from Japan?
Quite sure. At least that is the exact wording in the email and I have a high respect for the source which was RIcoh, not Precision. So unless Precision is lying to Ricoh my lens is in Japan.

Maybe they want to study it as you say. But that is just speculation I've no idea. On the Precision website there is no option for the 16-85 so I had to hand write the details in, maybe that is an indication no one at Precision has been trained on repairing the 16-85 or maybe some tool or equipment is not available. But again that is just speculation. All I know is Precision told Ricoh the lens is in Japan.

---------- Post added 04-30-16 at 07:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
From past experience I send nothing but the lens, I use third party caps and do not send any of the original caps, hood, box or packing. You are very likely to lose anything you send along, including the box or the caps.
05-01-2016, 06:53 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

What a shame! That is the lens I was thinking about, in the future. Please keep us up to date on your lens, and I'm wishing both of you the very best of luck in getting your lenses back soon, and in working order!

Also thanks to those recommending not to send the original box, end caps, hoods, etc., in; that's very good to know!

05-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Caught my eye.....and I have to ask....if you....

Bought a Toyota last December and the transmission went out, you had it towed to the dealer, and the dealer notified you they had sent it to Japan, would that be acceptable to you...or anyone???

It would be if it was accepted, which is why we keep getting such poor service from Pentax. I'd be on the phone immediately with my credit card provider to have that charge removed at once.

They should have provided you with a new lens and an apology that yours crashed. That is what genuine service is like.

I love Pentax, support Pentax, and enjoy Pentax...but that is not a license for receiving poor service. As long as we accept it, it will not get any better.

Regards!
05-01-2016, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
What a shame! That is the lens I was thinking about, in the future. Please keep us up to date on your lens, and I'm wishing both of you the very best of luck in getting your lenses back soon, and in working order!
I'd say don't let one report of failing AF put you off. As far as we know, DC motors are still a lot more reliable than SDM, and even some (many?) SDM lenses don't have problems at all. But then I don't know what kind of warranty you get in the US. Here in The Netherlands consumers are quite well protected, even outside of any official warranty.

Anyway, I wouldn't think of sending any of my lenses in the thin cardboard boxes they came in. My advice: wrap it in bubble plastic, put it in a box that can withstand some throwing around, and fill up that box with something like styrofoam or other protective material. Take pictures of the inside of the box, showing the level of protection, and send it insured. If something goes wrong, and you want to claim money from the shipping company, you can provide the pictures as evidence that you took ample measures to protect the lens.
05-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
'd say don't let one report of failing AF put you off.
It is not putting me off from still considering this lens; however I hate to see problems arising with it.
05-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
It is not putting me off from still considering this lens; however I hate to see problems arising with it.
As do I.
05-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Bought a Toyota last December and the transmission went out, you had it towed to the dealer, and the dealer notified you they had sent it to Japan, would that be acceptable to you...or anyone???

It would be if it was accepted, which is why we keep getting such poor service from Pentax. I'd be on the phone immediately with my credit card provider to have that charge removed at once.

They should have provided you with a new lens and an apology that yours crashed. That is what genuine service is like.

I love Pentax, support Pentax, and enjoy Pentax...but that is not a license for receiving poor service. As long as we accept it, it will not get any better.

Regards!
Well, they do have to have the lens in hand before any kind of action can take place. Sure, "the customer is always right", but they have to do their forensics, so to speak, to rule out water, dirt, drops, and other abuse before it's a warranty repair. I remember back when I was a Minolta repair tech, and someone sent a camera that they had obviously dropped into the ocean, but only mentioned that it had "stopped working", lol. Many seem to think Pentax is "water proof", but it isn't- only weather resistant.

---------- Post added 05-01-16 at 05:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
I'd say don't let one report of failing AF put you off. As far as we know, DC motors are still a lot more reliable than SDM, and even some (many?) SDM lenses don't have problems at all. But then I don't know what kind of warranty you get in the US. Here in The Netherlands consumers are quite well protected, even outside of any official warranty.

Anyway, I wouldn't think of sending any of my lenses in the thin cardboard boxes they came in. My advice: wrap it in bubble plastic, put it in a box that can withstand some throwing around, and fill up that box with something like styrofoam or other protective material. Take pictures of the inside of the box, showing the level of protection, and send it insured. If something goes wrong, and you want to claim money from the shipping company, you can provide the pictures as evidence that you took ample measures to protect the lens.
Good points! I didn't mean I was considering shipping the lens in only the oem box, lol.
05-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Caught my eye.....and I have to ask....if you.... Bought a Toyota last December and the transmission went out, you had it towed to the dealer, and the dealer notified you they had sent it to Japan, would that be acceptable to you
Sure why not? Especially if I think they could fix it better there why should I object? I don't understand your point.
. I'd be on the phone immediately with my credit card provider to have that charge removed at once.
Since it is a warranty repair there is no credit card charge. And the warranty says no where that they will use only a USA repair shop. Why would they?

I really miss the point of your post Rupert. My lens failed and they are repairing it under warranty. I was surprised it went to Japan, but not upset. The 16-85 has (so far) been almost trouble free. In fact I think my post is the first one noting a lens failure. So maybe they want the lens back in Japan to see what happened to it. That implies to me a desire to improve and check up on their production and QC. Maybe the lens is new enough and there have been so few issues that no one at Precision has been trained on it, or they don't have calibration equipment for it. Who knows that is all speculation. But nothing here implies poor service, quite the opposite in my opinion.
05-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #15
mee
Site Supporter

Regards!
Completely agreed, Rupert.

They tout a 5-7 day turn around. If they can't meet the terms on their website, they need to find an agreeable form of accommodation or stop touting 5-7 day return times.

In this situation, lack of communication on Precision's part is the key element for me. That and they really should have just offered a new lens imo.

BUT, perhaps, they think they've found a defect in the manufacturing or design and don't want to send him another lemon if something needs to be updated.. that, again, is where communication comes into play.

Either way.. staying silent and having to prod the repair facility is not a way to handle repair services. The only way to stop this is to both complain about repair services in public places and keep bugging Ricoh about it until they get tired of hearing about it.

I'd go one further and avoid Pentax lenses when possible... unless you can eat the cost of buying new lenses whenever they poop out.

---------- Post added 05-01-16 at 07:29 PM ----------

I just thought of one plus though -- if Ricoh Japan is repairing it, it might actually be a competent repair performed! THAT might be worth waiting for!!