Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I call that pathetic! Disgustingly pathetic! Pentax must do better on customer service or risk losing business due to the poor reputation they are building.
Regards!
I wouldn't go quite that far. We really don't know the reasons why Pentax require the repair to be done at the factory.
On the surface it would seem simple enough to replace a switch, so maybe the fix is to use a redesigned switch that requires some rework not able to be done at local repair centres.
I don't really know, but guess the reason it has gone back to Japan is unlikely to be trivial.
One does hope, however, that the fix is a permanent one.

Cheers,
Terry

07-12-2016, 05:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
I wouldn't go quite that far.
I would go even further....It is a total lack of consideration for the Pentaxian that has to suffer the loss of what may be his/her most used and important lens while Ricoh floats it back and forth on a "slow boat to China".

If they gave an interim replacement then they could play with their defect as long as they wanted...but they didn't offer that...did they?

Think of the ridiculousness of this......your new Lexus needs a new ignition switch and has to be sent back to Japan so they can engineer one that actually works. You don't mind walking to work for a few months while they fool around and try to figure out what they did wrong.....Those that accept this sort of nonsense are the reason we have such poor service to begin with. Shame on them.

For me, I pick up the phone, call my Discovercard and have the charge removed and not reinstated until I have a quick remedy...and if not the seller can take it up with Ricoh, but my cash is back in my hands where I can decide to repurchase or maybe go with a a brand that offers real service to its customers.

I'll buy your line of thought when you can tell me you don't mind walking to work for a few months.....the principle is the same.

Regards
07-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
I wouldn't go quite that far. We really don't know the reasons why Pentax require the repair to be done at the factory.
On the surface it would seem simple enough to replace a switch, so maybe the fix is to use a redesigned switch that requires some rework not able to be done at local repair centres.
I don't really know, but guess the reason it has gone back to Japan is unlikely to be trivial.
One does hope, however, that the fix is a permanent one.

Cheers,
Terry
I am assuming that the reason it was sent back to the factory is because it is going to require a serious overhaul to fix what is clearly a design flaw. However, I only assume this, because I've not been able to get info any information from either Precision Camera or Ricoh. The first time I talked with Ricoh, I was told by the customer service rep that he had never heard of such an issue with the lens, and that I need to just send it to Precision. Oh, and he wasn't too subtle in implying that I may have mistreated the lens somehow. I called Ricoh again last week to try and get some information on why the lens had to be sent to the factory, and when I might expect it back. This time, the customer service rep wasn't as surprised by the issue. However, he didn't go as far as acknowledging that it is a known flaw with the lens. He also didn't know why it would have need to go back to the factory for the repair. I'll I got was, "I'll elevate this with corporate, and ask for expedited service. I'll contact you when I hear something back." That was a week ago, and I've not heard anything. I'll be calling back today.

While I wait, I'll be driving around the old Sigma 150-500 (glad I didn't sell it immediately). It is slower to focus and the IQ isn't as good, but at least I have it in hand.

Impatiently waiting for my lens to return from a trip to Japan,

Tim

Last edited by tmlawes; 07-12-2016 at 02:59 PM.
07-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
Impatiently waiting for my lens to return from a trip to Japan,
Far too many stories like yours or worse. You have my sympathy....I would not have your patience. We have consumer laws here that stop that sort of behavior by mfgs and retailers that do not deliver on products or service and in a timely manner. I very seldom use them, but have, and they work promptly.

Regards & Good luck on your repair.

07-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update - I heard back from Precision Camera last Friday, and my lens has been shipped back to me via regular ground UPS. I should expect it by the end of this week. Other than being a little annoyed that they didn't provide an option for expedited shipping, I'm glad that the lens is at least on the way back. I hope it is fixed right, and I don't have any more issues with faulty switch attachments.

Tim
07-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #21
mee
Veteran Member

Update - I heard back from Precision Camera last Friday, and my lens has been shipped back to me via regular ground UPS. I should expect it by the end of this week. Other than being a little annoyed that they didn't provide an option for expedited shipping, I'm glad that the lens is at least on the way back. I hope it is fixed right, and I don't have any more issues with faulty switch attachments.
I'll be interested in knowing if they repaired your lens or shipped you a brand new one.
07-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I don't know the last time that I was this angry with a company! I just got my 150-450mm lens returned from Precision Camera after 5 weeks. Hooray... Oops No. The lens came with an invoice acknowledging all of the accessories that I sent with the lens (i.e. lens hood, case, box, etc.), but none of the accessories. Just the lens wrapped in bubble wrap with a broken tri-pod mount.

The good news is that the zoom lock switch was repaired and the lens seems to be working right. But WTF! How are Precision Camera able to repair a lens and return it in worse condition than when they got it?

Their offices are closed now, but I'll be calling first thing tomorrow morning.

Tim

Attached Images

07-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

Well, I don't know the last time that I was this angry with a company! I just got my 150-450mm lens returned from Precision Camera after 5 weeks. Hooray... Oops No. The lens came with an invoice acknowledging all of the accessories that I sent with the lens (i.e. lens hood, case, box, etc.), but none of the accessories. Just the lens wrapped in bubble wrap with a broken tri-pod mount.

The good news is that the zoom lock switch was repaired and the lens seems to be working right. But WTF! How are Precision Camera able to repair a lens and return it in worse condition than when they got it?

Their offices are closed now, but I'll be calling first thing tomorrow morning.
Are you sure it is the same lens? I mean, does it have the same serial number as the lens you sent?

When I sent in a DA* 16-50 to them, on the 3rd trip to Precision, they wanted my camera body too to test the lens (infinity focus issue). They sent the camera back fine except it was missing the rubber viewfinder loupe thingy. They were able to find and return it to me (or one like it) after I made mention of it missing.

Thanks for keeping us informed of your journey with Precision..
07-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

So how did this end up ..any updates?
08-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wish I had an update that had any information. Last week, I sent the lens back to Precision for them to "evaluate" the damage. It arrived and was signed for at their loading dock on Thursday morning, but I called today and it still hasn't been entered into their system as received. Also, the accessories they supposedly shipped back 7 days ago haven't arrived. I asked for a tracking number, but they don't have any record of that either.

So here is where I'm at with my Precision Camera experience:

1 - They returned my $2000 lens in worse shape than when they originally received it due to careless handling and packaging.
2 - They asked me to return the damaged lens so they can decide if they are going to try to fix it or replace it.
3 - They have signed for the returned package, but have no record of where the lens is at now.
4 - They told me that they have shipped the lens accessories that they forgot to return earlier, but have no detailed shipping records.

All I have is an apology from the customer service representative today, a claim that he didn't know why so many mistakes were being made, and a promise to expedite trying to locate the lens. What I don't have is my lens for the past two months and a growing anger at Pentax and Precision Camera Repair. I am angry at Pentax for creating a situation where I had to use Precision Camera in the first place. Because they obviously don't know how to operate a functioning business, or care about the equipment they are working on.

Not sure where to go next to try and force some quality response from Precision.

Tim

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-02-2016 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Edited mild vulgarity
08-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you contacted Pentax directly? Refer them to this thread and ask them what they are going to do about it. Precision is their agent and under the laws of agency in the US, Pentax is responsible for their actions. Then demand to know what procedures Pentax is going to demand to be put in place to prevent this (expletive deleted) in the future. And that you expect a new fully functioning lens to be delivered to your door next day air.

This is complete BS.
08-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did contact Pentax/Ricoh directly by phone and was basically just told to write a complaint on the Ricoh Imaging Webform. I did that, but another forum member sent me the email address for a senior executive at Ricoh USA. I plan to contact her directly too.

Tim

Last edited by tmlawes; 08-01-2016 at 04:51 PM.
08-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #28
mee
Veteran Member

That is another boondoggle by the hands of Precision Camera Repair. At this point, I'd consider asking Ricoh Imaging USA to resolve the issue since Precision themselves are too incompetent to resolve it themselves.

What a(nother) mess!
08-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Precision finally came through after 2 months of frustration. The lens was returned with repairs and all accessories last Friday. They shipped it overnight delivery (packaged correctly), and it seems to be working correctly. I took it out looking for shorebirds on Saturday.
Attached Images

08-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow...I'd like to say that's good news, but frankly that's appalling. 2 months out of action, 2 months of warranty down the drain and it taking more abuse than you would ever have given it in use...after paying that sum of money for an product, I would be furious.