Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Pentax 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 zoom lock switch fell off

I have had my Pentax 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 lens for less than two months, and I was out yesterday hiking around looking for birds. I stopped to unlock the lens to take a photo, and discovered the lens lock switch had fallen off. I can still unlock the zoom, but I'm a little disappointed by the quality of that switch. Has anybody else had this issue? Is it a sign of other quality control issues with my lens? Any advice on repair or replacement?

Thanks for any feedback,

tim

05-08-2016, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If it's under warranty I wouldn't hesitate to return it for repair/replacement. That's a lot of cash to have bits fall off within 2 months.
05-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
Any advice on repair or replacement?
Unless it is gray market or was purchased used, it should still be under warranty. Whether this event is evidence of overall poor quality is hard to say. The 150-450 has been on the market for almost a year and I don't believe there have been many reports of quality issues. It is always possible that your copy is a lemon. Let's hope that is not the case.

FWIW, I have wondered about the durability of the external switches featured on many modern zooms. Lenses tend to get banged around.

Steve
05-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have wondered about the durability of the external switches featured on many modern zooms
Not only the "modern" ones.

On about half of the Pentax 28-80 Power Zooms offered on German eBay the switch for the extended functions is already missing.
It also departed from mine when the lens fell about 20cm down to a very soft bottom.

05-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter

My first copy of the 150-450 had that button missing the day I unboxed it, thankfully while at the camera store. I called the Pentax/Ricoh rep on the spot to explain the situation. They shipped a new replacement and allowed me to use the defective lens during the interim (very good customer service). So far no problem with the replacement lens which I've had since around August of last year. The button does seem to be a vulnerable element of the lens.
06-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #6

I have had my Pentax 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 lens for less than two months, and I was out yesterday hiking around looking for birds. I stopped to unlock the lens to take a photo, and discovered the lens lock switch had fallen off. I can still unlock the zoom, but I'm a little disappointed by the quality of that switch. Has anybody else had this issue? Is it a sign of other quality control issues with my lens? Any advice on repair or replacement?

Thanks for any feedback,

tim
Same problem here two days a go.
I took the lens into CRK this morning and it will be repaired under warranty.
Problem is I may not get it back for up to two weeks

Cheers,
Terry
06-24-2016, 02:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What were the Pentax designers and engineers doing, to allow such a simple and obvious part of this lens to [apparently] fall off so readily?
06-24-2016, 07:13 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What were the Pentax designers and engineers doing, to allow such a simple and obvious part of this lens to [apparently] fall off so readily?
Because on every design team is an accountant for the manufacturing team lashing the design team about unit manufacturing cost. The fact that another group has to pick up the pieces. and the cost, is of no interest to him or her. After 40+ years in the business, I speak from a lot of personal experience

06-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote

Cheers,
Terry
I had some trips planned where I wanted to use my lens, so I limped along with the missing switch. I finally sent it in for repairs under warranty, and it has been at Precision since Monday. I haven't heard anything from them though. Not sure when I'll get it back, and I'll admit that I was very grumpy about covering the shipping costs to CT.
06-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

We are fortunate aircraft design and manufacture doesn't get away with this sort of thing
06-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Cheers,
Terry
I got impatient with the lack of information and updates on the Precision website and called them about the status of the repair. They told me my lens had to go back to the factory to replace the missing switch, and it could take 3-6 weeks before I get it back. I must not have sounded happy because operator tried to reassure me by saying that the lens was sent off a week ago, so I should expect it back within ONLY 5 weeks! If that is the case, I'll have been without the lens for nearly 2 months. I'm interested to know if you get yours back in two weeks.

Cheers,

Tim
06-28-2016, 11:42 PM   #12

I'm interested to know if you get yours back in two weeks.
So am I!
I don't expect that the lens will be sent back to the factory, as CRK are the Pentax distributor and I get the impression that they do all the repairs here, but you never know.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Terry
07-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #13

OK, latest update.
I took the lens into the distributor on Jun 24th, and was told it would be ready in 2 weeks.
I called today and was told that Pentax won't supply the parts for that repair and the lens has to be sent back to the factory in Japan.
Estimated 3-4 weeks!
No loner lens available.
Not happy.

(no cheers)
Terry
07-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, latest update.
I took the lens into the distributor on Jun 24th, and was told it would be ready in 2 weeks.
I called today and was told that Pentax won't supply the parts for that repair and the lens has to be sent back to the factory in Japan.
Estimated 3-4 weeks!
No loner lens available.
Not happy.

(no cheers)
Terry
I call that pathetic! Disgustingly pathetic! Pentax must do better on customer service or risk losing business due to the poor reputation they are building.

Regards!
07-11-2016, 08:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

it happened to me as well. But i still had the switch AND the weather seal, so a tiny drop of glue did the rest. Its working perfectly ever since.