Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Ricoh (Precision Camera) warranty service is bad

Here's yet another example of poor work by Precision. My DFA 100/2.8 WR developed a slow aperture 5 months after purchase. Images at f2.8 were fine. I was getting overexposure as the aperture decreased. With the lens off the camera, I could see the blades moved slowly when I flicked the aperture lever.

I sent the lens with a detailed description of the problem. Precision shipped it back claiming it was restored to factory specs. The aperture remains slow as if they did nothing.

Ricoh shares the blame. My warranty contract is with Ricoh, not Precision.

UPDATE: The lens has been fixed. Post #13 below has more info.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 06-04-2016 at 10:20 AM.
05-08-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
mee
Site Supporter

It is annoying but get Ricoh involved through their Customer Support side.. I had to send mine back a few times before they just replaced the whole lens.. but that process took two and a half months
05-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I noticed mine does not snap shut as fast as all of my other lenses when I flick the aperture level. It does snap shut but just not with as much force as all of my other lenses. Hard to say how much difference there is between yours and mine, but it may be normal for this lens. Mine is no worse than it was when I bought it about 4 years ago. Possibly it is due to the number of aperture blades, I think nine which is more than most lenses. For now I have no plan to send mine for repair. I had more of an issue with sluggish aperture blades on a DA 70 Limited that I bought used. I sent it to Eric Hendrickson who is well known on this forum and he fixed it by cleaning the blades.
05-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Ricoh shares the blame. My warranty contract is with Ricoh, not Precision.
And what does Ricoh say?

I agree that your first recourse in the case of inadequate warranty repair should be Ricoh. Precision may guarantee their work, but the warranty is with Ricoh. You should not have to jump through hoops nor should you be expected to shoulder additional shipping expenses. You may want to make a short video showing the "post-repair" sluggish aperture and offer to share it with the Ricoh support staff. The problem should be obvious.

Steve

05-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
CDW
Veteran Member

As a Pentax shooter who dearly misses the level of support I received from Canon Professional Services, when shooting with Canon, in my opinion it is time for Ricoh to step up and provide factory warranty service and repair. Outsourcing to inept third party repair shops is beyond comprehension.
05-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
As a Pentax shooter who dearly misses the level of support I received from Canon Professional Services, when shooting with Canon, in my opinion it is time for Ricoh to step up and provide factory warranty service and repair. Outsourcing to inept third party repair shops is beyond comprehension.
Agreed. I think they'd do a much better job just sourcing repair services in house. Then they could stock parts and stuff.. and maybe have functional repair services.

But I'm more and more coming to the understanding that USA is the Cinder Ella of the Pentax market... they just don't care too much... so they put the least foot forward in funding support.
05-08-2016, 11:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Sony uses Precision Camera as well and camera owners seem likewise unimpressed. I once sent my K3 back for a run-on shutter. It was fixed by Precision and sent back to me in about a week I believe. So i have no complaints, but others seem to.
05-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

What gets me is that Ricoh has repair centers or at least repair techs in every city across the USA. So why not utilize a current asset on the ground???

For example... when I worked at BellSouth.net (Internet) I had WAN's that I managed all over the place. When one went down, I had to send a BellSouth (telco) union guy from one of their hubs to go physically to the location to perform what was needed to get the router back up & running (under my supervision).

The union guys hated to do it. Long story short, I'd ask each location if there was someone who wanted to learn something new that would take my calls/jobs everytime. Within months I had trained techs and much speedier recovery times.

Moral of the story - Ricoh techs, a chosen number per hub, would learn camera repair. Shazaaam! Pentax would have 'local' coverage that would kick the you know what out of Canon! There are more details but I'm trying to keep it short.

Simple & elegant solution that trumps the competition. I'm sure there are corporate/political obstacles as there always are within or out of two companies under the same umbrella but they can be overcome if the will is there.

05-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
What gets me is that Ricoh has repair centers or at least repair techs in every city across the USA. So why not utilize a current asset on the ground???
You mean those for copy machines? Different company.

Steve
05-10-2016, 06:14 AM   #10

Yes thats what I meant, two companies under the same umbrella. Back in the late 90's (Telecommunications Act of 1996) BellSouth Telco had to form a separate company to be able to jump on the bandwagon to have an Internet company. We had to treat each other as two separate entities. Neither giving preference to the other. BS Telco had to deal with all Internet companies equally. BellSouth.net had to get in line just like everyone else. This is where I draw my example from... 2 companies, under the same umbrella so to speak, yet separate. It can work. We made it work til the Government allowed us to merge (which meant selling out to AT&T).
05-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
Yes thats what I meant, two companies under the same umbrella.
Sort like Canon copiers and Canon cameras? The logo is the same, but good luck getting service for your Rebel T5i from the copier repair guy (he comes to you!) unless, of course, the camera needs toner. The split between the office machine company and the imaging company is pretty deep for both Ricoh and Canon.

Steve

* Former brother-in-law was in Ricoh copier sales/service in the mid-1980s. He did not even know that Ricoh made cameras.
05-11-2016, 04:58 AM   #12

I understand better than you think. The Telco guys didn't want to have anything to do with anything Internet related. It was apples & oranges for them, the technicians, not to mention the corporate structures & mentality. Internet & Telco were, back then, as different as cameras & copiers are today for Ricoh or Canon management & ground troops.
06-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The problem was fixed after a 2nd trip through Precision. I contacted Ricoh and they emailed a prepaid shipping label to me. Precision was very fast this time, maybe because return repairs leap to the front of the queue, or maybe they've caught up on their backlog of work.

The repair process is very opaque:
  1. Precision did not send any status updates despite "enter your email address here to receive updates" on their website. I also gave them my email address with the lens. This lack of communication means my lens was sitting at my front door (which I rarely use) for 2 days because I wasn't expecting any UPS deliveries. [yes, I checked my spam email folder]
  2. The paperwork I received with the repaired lens says little more than "restored to factory specs", with no indication of what they adjusted or replaced. It would be helpful to know the history of my lens in event of future problems.
06-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
maybe they've caught up on their backlog of work.
I hope it's this. I have a K-30 I want to send them to fix the mainboard. If they have caught up to their backlog, that would be great for me!
06-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

My K3ll returns home after it's 2nd tour of duty at Precision. I got the same list of repairs. I sent mine in for 1 thing: HDMI is not working & clean the sensor. What cracked me up was they put down "Downloaded Firmware" Gee, I didn't know there was a Firmware for the K3ll. (There isn't) I'm not sure what they downloaded and installed, but they better send it back this time with the original issue that I sent it in for that they didn't even acknowledge in the repairs.