Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canadian repair service - Sun Camera ?

Hey folks,

Just got back (email) with The Camera Store (where one of my cameras was purchased) and they said to contact Sun Camera, an authorized Pentax repair shop.
More specifically "it is the Pentax licensed repair depot", supposedly. I've never dealt with them before, so I thought of asking.

For those who used their services, have you any complaints?

Thanks !

05-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I dealt with them. It was definitely not a pleasant experience, but my lens got repaired, so that's already something going for them.
Communication was as bad as one could possibly fear for, honestly, I once was transferred 5 times before I could even have someone aware of the fact that I had a lens of mine in their possession.
That was a while ago, I guess they figured some stuff out since then.
05-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
I dealt with them. It was definitely not a pleasant experience, but my lens got repaired, so that's already something going for them.
Communication was as bad as one could possibly fear for, honestly, I once was transferred 5 times before I could even have someone aware of the fact that I had a lens of mine in their possession.
That was a while ago, I guess they figured some stuff out since then.
That's not too comforting, is it ?
And, besides the confusion within their walls, how long did it take to get your lens back?

Thanks!
05-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
GPZ
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I sent my dead K-5 two weeks ago, using the form available on Pentax Canada web site. One week later - a Saturday - I received an email with a quote for the repair. I approved the quote, exchanged 2-3 emails with the guy about their warranty and the nature of the problem, and on the next Thursday, 10 working days after I sent my camera, I got it back and repaired. So I guess I can call this good service.

05-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GPZ Quote
I sent my dead K-5 two weeks ago, using the form available on Pentax Canada web site. One week later - a Saturday - I received an email with a quote for the repair. I approved the quote, exchanged 2-3 emails with the guy about their warranty and the nature of the problem, and on the next Thursday, 10 working days after I sent my camera, I got it back and repaired. So I guess I can call this good service.
Thanks !
That sounds better.
I will give them a call tomorrow before I send a form in ... I'd rather talk to someone directly first, if possible.
Is this where you picked up the form:
Repair Information?Support?RICOH IMAGING CANADA

JP
05-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I sent them my dead *ist-DL, long after I should have. The cordial reply was that the nature of the problem was clear and the fix would be simple but the parts were unavailable. My bad. Since the camera was a brick, I told them they could get rid of it rather than charge me for mailing it back. They did so. Despite the failure to repair, the whole service experience was pleasant.
05-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I sent them my dead *ist-DL, long after I should have. The cordial reply was that the nature of the problem was clear and the fix would be simple but the parts were unavailable. My bad. Since the camera was a brick, I told them they could get rid of it rather than charge me for mailing it back. They did so. Despite the failure to repair, the whole service experience was pleasant.
Thanks !
Seems like they have fixed their earlier lack of organisation !

05-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You should look at this recent thread. The guy seems quite satisfied with Sun, one week repair for a K5ii and fair price.
05-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #9
GPZ
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks !
That sounds better.
I will give them a call tomorrow before I send a form in ... I'd rather talk to someone directly first, if possible.
Is this where you picked up the form:
Repair Information?Support?RICOH IMAGING CANADA

JP
Yes, this is where I downloaded the form.
05-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
You should look at this recent thread. The guy seems quite satisfied with Sun, one week repair for a K5ii and fair price.
Just read the thread ... very good !
Thanks for the link!

---------- Post added 05-10-16 at 10:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GPZ Quote
Yes, this is where I downloaded the form.
Great ...!
That means tomorrow the camera is going on a trip.
JP
05-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #11

Hey folks,

Just got back (email) with The Camera Store (where one of my cameras was purchased) and they said to contact Sun Camera, an authorized Pentax repair shop.
More specifically "it is the Pentax licensed repair depot", supposedly. I've never dealt with them before, so I thought of asking.

For those who used their services, have you any complaints?

Thanks !
I took my DA*50-135 to a local shop in Victoria this January, who ultimately decided that the repair would need to go to the authorized pentax repair place (so I'm assuming Sun)
They got me a quote, sent it there, the lens came back just under a month later, with the damage fixed, and as a bonus they turned my SDM-dead (working on screwdrive) lens back into a working SDM lens.

Used it every day last month for Single-in, and it's working like a charm. So they fixed it right, and on budget (and fixed the SDM which I wasn't asking them to fix - all within the initial quote)
05-11-2016, 02:23 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Thanks CarlJF for linking my thread here.

As i wrote on this thread, Sun Camera did very well and fast. My K5II was out of warranty and i feared it was lost for the summer. From the day i shipped (express post and signed) and the day i received the body repaired took 7 days!
They also sent it back to me express and signed.
Repairs was top part of the body and LCD inside viewfinder (focus points display), clean, focus point adjust and test. Prices for parts was very reasonable, thanks to Ricoh!
The address on the form you downloaded goes directly to Sun Camera.
05-11-2016, 03:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

At a level of remove, one of our younger Canadian members had the aperture control issue with his K-50. I think he had it back in working order in less than two weeks from the time of dispatch, and he was lucky enough to have it fail within warranty. They even cleaned it for him.
05-11-2016, 04:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I sent my 60-250 to them after a drop, and they had it back to me in two weeks even though they had to wait for parts from the US. It came back clean and looking like new. They also sent me a part I needed to fix my 60-250 when the SDM contacts broke put it in the mail the next day. They aren't the most communicative, I don't think they have a full time phone person, but I have no problem with the service. My only criteria is did they fix my lens quickly and do a good job. Yes on both counts. I like hand holding, but I don't need hand holding. I'm not an anxious kind of guy.
05-11-2016, 05:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's not too comforting, is it ?
And, besides the confusion within their walls, how long did it take to get your lens back?

Thanks!
Once I approved the repair, everything indeed went rather fast, it was a SDM motor replacement, they probably had the motor in stock. The problem was trying to communicate about the problem. Once they quoted me that the SDM motor needed replacement, I wasn't so sure that it would solve the problem and so I tried to get more information. The lens had a weird problem where it wouldn't acquire focus between 90mm and 135mm while working fine below 90mm. Where I was most confused, is that the problem was exactly the same when I converted it to screwdrive focus. Thus the confusion about the fact that replacing the SDM motor would suddenly solve everything. When I tried to explain that the problem still persisted using screwdrive focus, all the technicians I spoke to would just tell me that the lens had an in lens focus motor and that it couldn't focus using screwdrive. I then linked to the forum thread about sdm to screwdrive conversion, and also explained that if they had an old Pentax digital body laying around, they could also force the lens to use screwdrive and then see for themselves that the problem was probably something else/in addition of the SDM motor. My hope was that they would just fix the "unable to achieve focus" problem without replacing the SDM motor, because I was fine using screw drive. Actually, now that I think of it, the SDM motor was still working when I sent them my lens - but when I asked them whether they understood the problem I was describing, they would say that they had no way of testing the inability to acquire focus at certain focal length because the lens motor was not working at all for them, thus my recommandation of using an older Pentax body - and bla bla bla. I was a little confused that the SDM would just suddenly die on them while it worked for me, but I guess it happens.
I just couldn't get them to tell me anything at all nor to acknowledge that the lens was indeed capable of focusing using the screwdrive motor in the camera body. It was a frustrating experience - I wish I just sent the lens with the firmware modified for screwdrive focus.

Happy to see that a lot of people here had a good experience with them, they seem to be doing a good job in general.