Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Has your repaired Aperture Control Block stayed fixed?

I am facing a repair of the Diaphragm Control Block on my K-S2, same as many K-30 and K-50 owners....

If you had your camera repaired, did it stay repaired? Or did they install the same flawed design of ACB and it will eventually fail/has failed again?

05-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I am facing a repair of the Diaphragm Control Block on my K-S2, same as many K-30 and K-50 owners....

If you had your camera repaired, did it stay repaired? Or did they install the same flawed design of ACB and it will eventually fail/has failed again?
Seem to be a major defect in the Pentax cameras these days
05-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
My friend's K-50 was repaired for that issue Jan 2015 by Precision and continues to operate with no problems. If you have concerns about the quality of replacement parts, perhaps the good folk at Sun Camera Repair (authorized repair for Ricoh/Pentax Canada) can set your mind at ease.

Steve
05-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine did but I have no idea how long it lasted as I eventually traded it. It worked for about 6 months originally then was repaired and then worked 6 months before I got a K-3.

05-31-2016, 06:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has used the same aperture control block design in their entry/mid-range bodies since at least the K100D, and it has worked reliably in thousands of cameras for over a decade. However, based on what we've learned in the linked thread, it appears that a solenoid used in the ACB of the K-30/50 is failing more often than previous versions. The solenoid in question is a standard part made by multiple vendors for use in cameras and DVD players.

This does not mean that ALL (or even most) of the solenoids used in the K-30/50 will fail eventually, nor does it mean that a replacement solenoid from a different batch or a different supplier will NEVER fail. What it should mean is that a repaired unit should have a failure rate no worse than a new camera.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/321871-k-30-k-50-ape...available.html
05-31-2016, 11:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Pentax has used the same aperture control block design in their entry/mid-range bodies since at least the K100D, and it has worked reliably in thousands of cameras for over a decade. However, based on what we've learned in the linked thread, it appears that a solenoid used in the ACB of the K-30/50 is failing more often than previous versions. The solenoid in question is a standard part made by multiple vendors for use in cameras and DVD players.

This does not mean that ALL (or even most) of the solenoids used in the K-30/50 will fail eventually, nor does it mean that a replacement solenoid from a different batch or a different supplier will NEVER fail. What it should mean is that a repaired unit should have a failure rate no worse than a new camera.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/321871-k-30-k-50-ape...available.html
My theory is if you catch it in time clean or replace it it will save the aperture motor from failing.If the black frames start and you dont address it it will smoke the motor
05-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

Been holding fine on mine for over a year now.
06-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks folks. I have opted to go ahead with the repair.

06-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I sent my then two year old K-30 in for repair, I got it back 19 months ago and so far so good (knock on wood).
08-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

My 1st K-30 failed at 50K.....warranty repair lasted 3 months and it failed again.......sold that one on Ebay for Parts.
2nd new K-30 (backup Body) failed at 7K just out of warranty......tossed that one in the Trash Can and Moved on to K3 then to K3II , and also the K-1.....Problem solved !
Really sucked because I Loved my K-30's.........
Life is Too Short to worry about repetitive problems with this model......Ditch it and Move On to something more reliable. Also BUY the longest extended warranty you can possibly find.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 08-15-2016 at 04:12 PM.
08-15-2016, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #11
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
My 1st K-30 failed at 50K.....warranty repair lasted 3 months and it failed again.......sold that one on Ebay for Parts.
2nd new K-30 (backup Body) failed at 7K just out of warranty......tossed that one in the Trash Can and Moved on to K3 then to K3II , and also the K-1.....Problem solved !
Really sucked because I Loved my K-30's.........
Life is Too Short to worry about repetitive problems with this model......Ditch it and Move On to something more reliable. Also BUY the longest extended warranty you can possibly find.
Oh please tell me you didn't really throw the broken K-30 away..
08-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Oh please tell me you didn't really throw the broken K-30 away..
I absolutely did....Showlow Arizona.......tossed it (Slam Dunked it actually) right in the Campground dumpster at 10AM and Immediately ordered a K-3II from B&H.......they expressed shipped it to the campground Host and I got it within 36 hours !
Problem forever solved......
08-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #13
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I absolutely did....Showlow Arizona.......tossed it (Slam Dunked it actually) right in the Campground dumpster at 10AM and Immediately ordered a K-3II from B&H.......they expressed shipped it to the campground Host and I got it within 36 hours !
Problem forever solved......

Aww.. I would have paid you something for it. I wanted one that still turned on that I could potentially break forcing a K-50 firmware onto it.

When I had a K-30 I noticed it was possible to feed it a K-50 firmware by simply renaming the file to that of a K-30's. Too scared to try it though at the time (since it was only a few months old). Wanted to see if it would work.. if it bricked the 'broken' camera, it wouldn't be a problem.

You don't suppose you could go back to that campground and fish out the K-30?
08-16-2016, 12:14 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Aww.. I would have paid you something for it. I wanted one that still turned on that I could potentially break forcing a K-50 firmware onto it.

When I had a K-30 I noticed it was possible to feed it a K-50 firmware by simply renaming the file to that of a K-30's. Too scared to try it though at the time (since it was only a few months old). Wanted to see if it would work.. if it bricked the 'broken' camera, it wouldn't be a problem.

You don't suppose you could go back to that campground and fish out the K-30?
From what I hear one of the local Black Bears has it and is trying to use it with an old 50mm Super Takumar in M mode .......

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 08-16-2016 at 12:21 AM.
08-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #15

I have mine in as I type, if they fix it, I hope it stays fixed, I like my camera...