Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2 Times to Precision & Nothing

I sent my K-3ll in on May 4th, 2016. I got it back the 1st time May 19th. They never addressed why I sent it in. The hdma out does not work. I tried several cables which work fine with my K-1 which uses the same as the K-3ll.

I called, & after a day calling 4 times, they sent me a return label. This time, I included a nice letter with the camera, saying once stating again the problem. I even made sure that the person made a note of it.

I got it back today along with a note, "Camera Check OK" & " At this time we are unable to duplicate or pinpoint any malfunction in your unit."

Unreal. I'm not sure which way to go at this point. Anyone have any ideas?

I think at this point they should send me a return label for one day service, fix it & send it back to me with one day service. Am I just wishful thinking here.

06-07-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Am I just wishful thinking here.
Yes.

Call Ricoh direct. Explain that you have tried to have the camera repaired and Precision has not been able to do so. Ask them to step in and help you.
06-07-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would triple check the HDMI out. If they included that note it sounds like they actually tested the port and verified that it was working.

Otherwise yes, call or e-mail Ricoh, hopefully they'll be able to help ensure that the camera is given the proper service.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would triple check the HDMI out. If they included that note it sounds like they actually tested the port and verified that it was working.

Otherwise yes, call or e-mail Ricoh, hopefully they'll be able to help ensure that the camera is given the proper service.

I've checked the HDMI with the same HDMI cable that works with my K-1. I've had the camera for about 6 months before I got a HMDI Cable for it. It didn't work, so I returned it to Amazon & it didn't work. I sent that one back. I took it over to Best Buy and it just didn't work. I got my K-1 and ordered another HDMI cable. It worked and still works perfectly. The most the K-3ll did one time was show white noise and black lines and then nothing.

I had read the horror stories of Precision, & wanted to wait to see if Pentax was going to go with another repair company. However, I started reading some posts where it seemed like they were getting their act together. However, that's not the case.

The last lady I talked to at Precision (3rd call & 5 minutes before they closed for the weekend) told me that despite requesting a return label 2 times that day, she had just gotten a note with my name on it but nothing else. She said she was going to wait till Monday, but processed me a return label & make notes of what was wrong.

So do I call Ricoh or Pentax? Are they here in the states still? Anyone have a number?

Thanks for letting me vent. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Last edited by glee46; 06-07-2016 at 08:52 PM. Reason: 3 calls & not 4. My bad..
06-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The Pentax Customer Service number is:
(800) 877-0155 (Toll-free)
approximate hours: M-F, 8:30-4:30, Mountain Standard Time

If you want to communicate per the Ricoh page (live chat/telephone), this is a link to that page:

Customer Care | Ricoh Imaging
06-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The Pentax Customer Service number is:
(800) 877-0155 (Toll-free)
approximate hours: M-F, 8:30-4:30, Mountain Standard Time

If you want to communicate per the Ricoh page (live chat/telephone), this is a link to that page:

Customer Care | Ricoh Imaging

Thanks. I'm sure in the long run, it will get fixed. For some reason, I like my K-3ll more than my K-1. Maybe its cause I just miss holding it.

I'm sold on Pentax & wouldn't go to any other maker. I just don't want them to know that.
06-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What he said. HDMI is sort of tricky. In theory, two compatible devices connected with a good cable should be able to detect available bandwidth and auto-negotiate the signal resolution. That being said failure is not uncommon. The variables are:
  • The ability of the cable and fittings to carry signal to the satisfaction of the devices on both ends
  • Settings for the devices on each end
  • How picky the devices are on both ends when establishing handshake
  • The physical design of connectors, particularly the small type D connector where some devices have inadequate clearance for the connector on some cables to plug engage fully
The cable is the weakest link and success/failure on one device is not an indicator of whether it will work with another. How do I know these things? Check out this thread from about two years ago:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/276891-k-3-hdmi-cable-requirements.html

Yes, I started that one and yes, warranty service of my K-3 was very seriously considered as was a service call for my big screen plasma TV before fault was definitively pinned on the cable. Before you send your camera in again, check it against both another cable and another device on the other end.

Steve

06-07-2016, 10:24 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

But all of that is seemingly moot.. because he's used the same cable with his K-1 and it works fine there. And it is likely the exact same port (part wise) on the K-3II that is on the K-1 for the HDMI connector so it should work on both.

To just satisfy that end though, try a different cable. If it still doesn't work with a new cable then it is time to get Ricoh involved at that point imo. Even if Precision did happen to test the HDMI and noted it working, they sure didn't detail that to you.
06-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said. HDMI is sort of tricky. In theory, two compatible devices connected with a good cable should be able to detect available bandwidth and auto-negotiate the signal resolution. That being said failure is not uncommon. The variables are:
  • The ability of the cable and fittings to carry signal to the satisfaction of the devices on both ends
  • Settings for the devices on each end
  • How picky the devices are on both ends when establishing handshake
  • The physical design of connectors, particularly the small type D connector where some devices have inadequate clearance for the connector on some cables to plug engage fully
The cable is the weakest link and success/failure on one device is not an indicator of whether it will work with another. How do I know these things? Check out this thread from about two years ago:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/276891-k-3-hdmi-cable-requirements.html

Yes, I started that one and yes, warranty service of my K-3 was very seriously considered as was a service call for my big screen plasma TV before fault was definitively pinned on the cable. Before you send your camera in again, check it against both another cable and another device on the other end.

Steve
I'll read the Thread you sent with a link.

However, This is from Post #4 above:
I've checked the HDMI with the same HDMI cable that works with my K-1. I've had the camera for about 6 months before I got a HMDI Cable for it. It didn't work, so I returned it to Amazon & it didn't work. I sent that one back. I took it over to Best Buy and it just didn't work. I got my K-1 and ordered another HDMI cable. It worked and still works perfectly. The most the K-3ll did one time was show white noise and black lines and then nothing.

I've tested with 3 cables here at home, & 2 or 3 at Best Buy. I use to repair computers for a hobby and know that connections are funny things at times. However, since I tried every option before having to sent it to Precision. (Trust me, it was the last thing I wanted to do) However, since both of the repair reports that they sent back to me each time, not once did they mention they checked the HDMI port.

I would think, they would have stated "We checked HDMI port with HDMI cable & it works fine" But, Nothing! Crickets...

Update: I started to read your post & realized I had read it before when I was looking for a solution. Thanks for your time and everyone else here as well.

Last edited by glee46; 06-07-2016 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Update
06-08-2016, 01:22 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There is a menu setting that lets you select the HDMI output framerate and resolution. It might be a good idea to toy with those settings, rather than the default of "auto", just in case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-08-2016, 02:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks. I'm sure in the long run, it will get fixed. For some reason, I like my K-3ll more than my K-1. Maybe its cause I just miss holding it.

I'm sold on Pentax & wouldn't go to any other maker. I just don't want them to know that.
Do you have the camera settings set to ntsf?
06-08-2016, 07:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Thgis is a good suggestion. I've had similar HDMI problem with a non camera device and it was some incompatible setting on the device. In north america, make sure it's set for NTSC 60Hz playback. And double check any other settings you can find...
06-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There is a menu setting that lets you select the HDMI output framerate and resolution. It might be a good idea to toy with those settings, rather than the default of "auto", just in case.
That was one of the 1st things I checked. I tried it in 1080,, 720 and the rest. I'm going to give Ricoh a call this morning and see what they can do.

---------- Post added 06-08-16 at 07:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Thgis is a good suggestion. I've had similar HDMI problem with a non camera device and it was some incompatible setting on the device. In north america, make sure it's set for NTSC 60Hz playback. And double check any other settings you can find...

Niceshot: I think you mean NTSC. I'm using monitors and a Samsung 55 inch TV. They have all worked with my K-5 & my K-1. I've looked at the port itself with a Microscope to see if the pins are damaged, and they look fine.

The last thing I wanted to do is send it off to Precision due to the horror stories I was hearing. Hence, I went over everything I could find on the camera & the forums to see if I missed something. Well, I'm make some calls and see where it goes.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
06-08-2016, 07:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

You're welcome.

I have a K-3II also. I just bought it in approx. October of last year, so I have not invested in any other camera yet. The K-1 is a standout in the FF category and serves its purpose though, so I see it as something that I may get if the time/need is appropriate. The K-3II is a really nice aps-c camera (performance/features).

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-08-2016 at 07:51 AM.
06-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, so I talked with Eli at Precision a few minutes ago. I told her what was going on. She talked to some of the techs, and told me to call Ricoh because they only work on camera's and not cables. Yikes!

I explained to her the steps I had taken and she checked with someone. She's sending me a one day shipping via UPS. She also asked me to put ATTENTION: Eli. She said she would walk the camera through every step as soon as she gets it and hopefully it gets fixed. They will then 1 day ship it back to me Via UPS.

That's about the best outcome I could ask for at this point in time.

I can't say it enough, but thank you to everyone who had a suggestion.