Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Manual lens aperture ring won't turn to the "A" position

I picked up a Voigtlander 125mm fairly cheap on Ebay last week, but the aperture ring stops just short of the "A" when I turn it and so always reads "f-". Also, I'm not sure but the "A" button seems stuck in the down position. I can return the lens, but I was wondering if the lens' problem is an easy/inexpensive fix. Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

06-16-2016, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #2

If the mechanism is similar to the Pentax SMC-A 50mm f/1.7 repair shouldn't be too difficult if all the parts are there. Sounds like one of springs is broken or missing.

See this thread on the Pentax lens to get an idea of what's involved for the Pentax

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/88051-pen...ng-repair.html
06-16-2016, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I picked up a Voigtlander 125mm fairly cheap on Ebay last week, but the aperture ring stops just short of the "A" when I turn it and so always reads "f-". Also, I'm not sure but the "A" button seems stuck in the down position. I can return the lens, but I was wondering if the lens' problem is an easy/inexpensive fix. Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
It might be fixable and it might not. Whether you attempt a repair depends on how much you paid, whether the listing was BIN or auction, and the stated condition of the lens. At the very least, I would suggest a discussion with the seller. FWIW, a failure of this sort is fairly rare in a lens at the V/C 125's original price point and quality and suggests the lens was abused.

Steve
06-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It might be fixable and it might not . . . a failure of this sort is fairly rare in a lens at the V/C 125's original price point and quality and suggests the lens was abused.

Steve
That's my worry too. I am afraid if I don't return it I will be stuck with a bad lens (I have 14 days, which is a bit short for getting it to and from a repair service).