Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2016, 04:30 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Praise for Precision

The autofocus on my K-3 stopped working. A bunch of DPR folks said the AF sensors were probably dirty. Tried cleaning them. Nope. So, despite scores of negative comments about Precision, I sent the camera off to that shop because it was the only choice. The camera was still under the extra two years of Pentax warranty I'd bought from B&H.

I figured it would take weeks and maybe months before the fix was done, so went off to Iceland for two weeks. Less than halfway through the trip I got an email from Precision that the camera had been fixed and shipped back. They had turned it around in THREE DAYS.

I had to scramble to get my local UPS depot to hold the package until my return. UPS already had tried to deliver it three times and was about to send it back to Precision.

The parts replacement involved replacement of the AF drive block and the AF module. New firmware was downloaded, corrections, recalibration, realignment and adjustments made, and a complete cleaning executed.

Now the K-3 works perfectly.

All it cost me was the UPS Ground charge to send the camera to Precision.

Kudos to them.

06-27-2016, 04:45 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice to hear some praise for Precision to balance out the negative reports a little. It's rare that people take the trouble to comment on good service, and common for them to post when problems occur (perfectly understandable, as that's when emotions run high). Glad to hear your camera is working perfectly again!
06-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

See also

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/323522-so-fa...precision.html
06-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree with Mike; rarely do we take the time to post about excellent service, but are very quick to post about negative service!

It's good to hear praise for Precision!

06-27-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I still hope they can update the process on line so we can see the status of the repair. But I also noticed precision's repair service is better than when it just started Pretax service business. I guess things are getting better after they sorted things out and get parts in stock.
06-27-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is the way it should be nuff said
06-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
That is the way it should be nuff said
Agreed - but nice to acknowledge it when it happens

06-27-2016, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Agreed - but nice to acknowledge it when it happens
Absolutely. Problem threads continue on for many pages, so a few posts to acknowledge some good service isn't asking too much.
06-27-2016, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Absolutely. Problem threads continue on for many pages, so a few posts to acknowledge some good service isn't asking too much.
Right. It's refreshing to hear some positive news once in awhile .
06-27-2016, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

My K3ll is going back for the 4th time, however this time it's going to Pentax Corporate Office. Even after 3 times of not fixing the problem, I'm not throwing hate toward Precision.

They have some very caring & competent people working for them. Both Elie and Sharlene went above & beyond to try to get my camera fixed.

They must have some talented people working there because when they sent my camera back this last time they had taken pictures of some of the techs and lots of every brand name camera's. I'm guessing, but there is someone, or something in the way they process their work which needs some fine tuning.

A lot of people are getting fast turn around times and are more than happy with the results. The other problem could be just too much work and not able to find experience techs to do the quality work in a timely manner.

I'm happy for the OP & I hope we hear more great stories in the future as well. My K3ll & my K-1 has a lot of warranty left on them & I want to hear praise & great outcomes with them.
06-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
My K3ll is going back for the 4th time, however this time it's going to Pentax Corporate Office. Even after 3 times of not fixing the problem, I'm not throwing hate toward Precision.

They have some very caring & competent people working for them.

I'm not sure how 'going back for the 4th time' and 'competent people' mix in this situation. If they were competent, your camera would have been repaired the first time. Second at very worst.

Going back and back and back doesn't exude competence in my book. I think you're just an exceptionally patient and forgiving person.
06-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm not sure how 'going back for the 4th time' and 'competent people' mix in this situation. If they were competent, your camera would have been repaired the first time. Second at very worst.

Going back and back and back doesn't exude competence in my book. I think you're just an exceptionally patient and forgiving person.
If you knew me 20 years ago, patient and forgiving never cross my mind. One day, I just got tired of the fighting, the anger & making a donkey's ass out of myself. (At times I still do)

I worked for Toshiba back in the late 70's. I worked in the parts, shipping/receiving department and worked closely with the techs. I saw stuff come in and shipped it out. I saw 1st hand when one clown who oversees a department can make it hard on employees and customers. There were people who had the responsibly but not the authority to do what was right for the customer.

So, I guess I'm saying, "I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water" with Precision. I have worked for large corporations, small companies, to having just one business partner, to working on my own. And from the largest to where it was only me, there was always one big jerk there.

I also see how short life can be, so when I 1st sent it off I made up my mind that I was going to try and not lose my cool. From all the posts I read, I expected them to mess it up at least twice. If mine came back fixed within a 1 1/2 weeks (Which it did) I might have gotten so excited I would had a stroke.
09-05-2016, 12:51 AM   #13

34 Days so Far

I sent my camera to Precision at the direction of Amazon. It has been 34 days since they received the camera. They advised 7-10 business days for parts and 3 business days for the repair. Way past that now. The only problem it has was the SD card would not lock into slot 1 and terrible front focus. Sent them a mail, hope to hear from them soon.