Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Recommended profession glass cleaning?

Hello,
I recently bought the K-1 and am looking to buy some vintage lenses to go with it because I prefer the look of pictures produced by them over that of the digital coating enhanced newer lenses. Unfortunately, a good percentage of the harder to find K mount lenses that are available on ebay seem to have haze and/or fungus problems, which is probably why those are still listed. There are several choices that claim that it is along the sides and does not affect image quality but, if I decide to buy any of them, I will want to take care of the fungus before it can get worse. My expertise in healing human bodies, not camera (lens) bodies, so I would rather have someone who knows what they are doing take care of it. So, who should I have do it?

I see that there is a "Precision Camera" company that is posted online but they have a horrible rating on yelp (I don't see any other sites for them). Is there any reputable companies known through folks on here?

Also, what is considered a reasonable lens cleaning fee? In my case it will be for cleaning primes.

To hopefully thwart a few critics, I understand the risk of buying a lens where fungus has etched the glass/coatings.

Sorry if this is a repetitive thread, I tried to search for it already.

Last edited by pkokity; 07-04-2016 at 01:38 PM.
07-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I believe Eric Hendrickson will clean old lenses as well as repairÉ

Home
07-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You're far better off buying lenses here on the marketplace than on eBay.

if you're patient, just check the 'for sale' threads daily. Sooner or later the lens you want will show up. If you're in a hurry for something, post in the 'wanted' section.

You'll get better glass at better prices here than on eBay 9 times out of 10.
07-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pkokity Quote
a good percentage of the harder to find K mount lenses that are available on ebay seem to have haze and/or fungus problems, which is probably why those are still listed.
You can probably find lenses without those problems. Leave the broken and damaged and infected lenses for those who know what to do with them. Better spend a little more and get a decent lens in working order. Keep in mind, these lenses might be 20, 30, 40 years old. They might need maintenance even if they appear to be in good condition. Really depends on how they were kept throughout the years.
eBay is one source, keh.com is another, then you have the marketplace on these forums, and some other sites as well. Also look at local listings, flea markets and yard sales and other stores that sell older, used things. Sometimes you can find real gems like that, but often you won't find anything lol that's how the hunt is

Cleaning and adjusting would be around $40-60, but you might have to add shipping costs, and extra fees if it is a more difficult job. Fungus infections probably cost more than glass that is nice and pristine. And you should notify them in advance.
Most of these stores will give you some sort of estimate on the final price, at least ballpark.

Yes, apparently US has a problem with good Pentax repair centres (cris, precision), but Erik has a good reputation. For cleaning old glass you don't need an official dealer, and there are many other shops that do this kind of stuff. Just have to ask around locally. Maybe call a local photo club or a specialized photography store?

07-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.

Thanks for the referral, Bertwert.

Johnyates, I have been mostly comparing here, ebay, KEH, and craigslist.

Na Horuk, My services are in high demand with me often performing 45-50 massage hours/week. Spare time is valuable time that I would rather spend enjoying the lenses instead of hunting for them. I am not necessarily in a rush but there are a few lenses I am watching that look beautiful but have haze or fungus that "doesn't affect pictures". Some of the more coveted options are at least $400 less than their excellent/mint options. My reasoning: what if I buy them, possibly save $200 or more, and know that I helped restore some vintage glass. As you state, these are older lenses that I may eventually need to spend some money their maintenance anyway.
07-04-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Put a wanted ad up here. (reqires a support membersip) and the lenses will find you.

Haze and fungus lenses are risky. Fungus eats lenses and coatings and can be cleaned but the damage done is not always able to be repaired.

DCSHOOTER is a user here who also may be able to clean up lenses for a few. Send him a private message.
07-04-2016, 11:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Based in US, there would appear no reason to go beyond PF as there always seem to be a good supply of old lenses. I'm sure Ebay would be good but you need to be careful and avoid any lens with issues particularly fungus. Just need to wait for the right lens to appear. Also as someone else has suggested put up a wanted ad on PF.

07-05-2016, 04:06 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Haze also might be of different nature. This should be taken into account. Some haze might be cleaned but some especially caused by lens separations will be difficult if not impossible to fix.
But if you still decide to go for lenses with problems I will highly recommend Eric. He cleaned FA20/2.8 for me from fungus and it was excellent and very fast service.
07-05-2016, 05:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You can find anything you like without haze or fungus. If your time is truly valuable, buy lenses that don't require repair.

I second the dcshooter recommendation. He's much easier to work with than Eric, and his results are top-notch.
07-05-2016, 06:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Put a wanted ad up here. (reqires a support membersip) and the lenses will find you.
Actually I believe you don't need to support to post a wanted ad.
07-05-2016, 06:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe Eric only cleans "Pentax" lenses, and doesn't deal with any other brands of Pentax-compatible lenses. I inquired about his lens cleaning services a few months ago.
07-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Actually I believe you don't need to support to post a wanted ad.
That may be correct. Maybe to see them?
07-05-2016, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That may be correct. Maybe to see them?
To see them you need to support/be a Pentaxian.
07-06-2016, 04:23 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had good luck with Focal Point in Colorado. Here is a link to their site.

Focal Point, Inc. | Professional Lens Repair & Cleaning, Camera & Photographic Optics
07-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I have contacted dcshooter and Eric. Both were quick and friendly in their replies.