Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K-30/ K-50 Aperture DIY Repair

Hi all,

I've had a K-30 fail and be repaired, correcting the aperture motor dark frames problem that plagues these models.

I'm considering buying another K-30 known to have this issue, but outside of any warranty cover. Figure could be good for spare parts, or for use with manual focus only lenses where I can fix the aperture manually anyway.

My question is though, does anyone have any insider knowledge on what the repair actually entails?

The notes on my service state:
REPLACED DIAPHRAGM MECHANISM- ADJUSTED & CALIBRATED- CLEANED- CHECK & TEST

Can this Diaphragm Mechanism be purchased separately from somewhere.

Does anyone have access to the Pentax repair instructions etc?

Just wondering what's actually involved in repairing this, and if the parts alone can be obtained from somewhere etc.

Thanks.

07-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
Forum Member

closest I have seen is this site. turned up in a thread a bit ago.

You'll need to use google to turn into from Russian gibberish

???????? ? ?30! - ?????? ?????-?????

But it is a start as it has piccies. Not sure about where to get pentax parts except from a donor camera.

cheers

---------- Post added 07-07-16 at 04:08 PM ----------

Not sure why the link is all ?? characters - it is not a bad url - this is most of it below

???????? ? ?30! - ?????? ?????-????? помогите -с-к30/page__st__180

It has Russian characters in it.

Hope this one is a bit clearer

cheers

---------- Post added 07-07-16 at 04:09 PM ----------

maybe it is just my browser ?? can you see the link ok ?
07-07-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by freddyisaac Quote
can you see the link ok ?
https://translate.google.co.nz/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie...-text=&act=url

Yeah I've got enough of a link to start digging. Thanks.
07-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
The notes on my service state:
REPLACED DIAPHRAGM MECHANISM- ADJUSTED & CALIBRATED- CLEANED- CHECK & TEST
Pretty much what it says. There are several mechanical pieces that work together to operate and coordinate mirror movement and diaphragm actuation. They constitute a single sub-assembly. For some repairs, the controller circuit board is replaced as well.

Can this Diaphragm Mechanism be purchased separately from somewhere.
I don't know about N. Zealand, but in N. America and Europe, Ricoh Imaging does not offer repair parts to other than authorized service facilities. FWIW, it is the opinion of some forum users that Pentax has been using the same or a very similar mechanical assembly in its dSLR bodies for nearly a decade. The exceptions are the K-3/K-3II which have separate units for mirror and aperture. whether the unit from say, a K-5, will work in a K-30 as a drop-in replacement is not known.

Does anyone have access to the Pentax repair instructions etc?
You can buy a copy of the K-30/K-50 manual:

PENTAX K-30, K-50 Series Service Manual

As you are aware, there are some folk in Russia who claim they have a fix. There is a long discussion thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/321871-k-30-k-50-ape...available.html

The thread has a lot of conjecture and sort of wild talk, but may help you on your way.

Steve

07-07-2016, 04:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

The guy tens to use a period without a space in the bullet points and this throws the translation a bit but it is understandable
07-07-2016, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am in the middle of doing this to my camera, to the best of my knowledge you need a donor camera like the Pentax DL or k-7 or 10d or something like that. they dont sell these parts.it is a lot of work. I will tell you what i learned,if your camera wont fire at all it is your shutter mechanism, Other wise it is your mirror motor on the aperture mechanism. I it quite the job to get there thoughOH dont get your hopes up about that magnet thing it it a load of hogwash. you need to replace the whole aperture mechanism because the motor gets tire and the aperture block gets sloppy .I have my aperture block apart to examine how it works. my advice is if you go for it also replace the shutter bloclk

Last edited by niceshot; 07-07-2016 at 05:02 PM.
07-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can't see that it's completely the same mechanism as previous/other models, given the high failure rate in the K-30/K-50 models.

If it is the same, then I'm out. Pentax have only stood by this for the initial warranty period and walked away from users who experienced the fault later on. That's essentially saying we back our product to last for the warranty period only.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll do some more digging. Second body is appealing, for video work etc where I can manually set the exposure values myself, and the mirror is up continuously etc. Macro tube work comes to mind also.

07-07-2016, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't see that it's completely the same mechanism as previous/other models, given the high failure rate in the K-30/K-50 models.

If it is the same, then I'm out. Pentax have only stood by this for the initial warranty period and walked away from users who experienced the fault later on. That's essentially saying we back our product to last for the warranty period only.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll do some more digging. Second body is appealing, for video work etc where I can manually set the exposure values myself, and the mirror is up continuously etc. Macro tube work comes to mind also.
do you know what give me a little time to locate a Pentax DL and i prove it to you. I think if you want you can just replace the mirror motor on the aperture mechanism they cost about 25 dollars. but for my money i would locate a donor camera ans switch the shutter black and the aperture mechanism. This is my intent and i will document every thing when i finish cause I will master this thing OH her is a gick look at the aperture block insides.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
07-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Loving it. Keep up the good work then I say

Thanks.

---------- Post added 07-08-16 at 01:27 PM ----------

Loving it. Keep up the good work then

Thanks.
07-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok I have rebuilt the aperture control block today and found out what cause the problem. their is a spring inside the aperture control box that becomes un sprung and causes it not to engage. I have also replace the mirror motor
07-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Ok I have rebuilt the aperture control block today and found out what cause the problem. their is a spring inside the aperture control box that becomes un sprung and causes it not to engage. I have also replace the mirror motor
Pictures or it didn't happen

Congrats. Looking forward to a how to guide
07-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looks like I have won the faulty k-30 auction. Won't know what I've really got until it arrives.

Will see how it performs in love view/video, but will probably attempt a repair at some stage, if there is something I can address myself, and any necessary parts are available to me...
07-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like I have won the faulty k-30 auction. Won't know what I've really got until it arrives.

Will see how it performs in love view/video, but will probably attempt a repair at some stage, if there is something I can address myself, and any necessary parts are available to me...
I can tell you what I HAVE LEARNED, if it has complete black frames it is the shutter, if not it is the mirror motor on the aperture block. I am currently waiting on a new shutter mechanism to compare to my repairs one. I electronically test the new one, as the old one doesn't respond to electrical test. Maybe the electronic magnet is shot . I will keep you informed . I need a donor body for the aperture block mechanism, as I am not completely sure I have reassembled it correctly, and dont want to go through putting the camera back together until I am sure. From what I can see is usually the mirror motor gets weak and then the iris on the lens wont open up, that is the first problem.The second problem if it wont fire at all is the shutter block which has its own power by way of electro- magnets
07-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well have won the camera auction, so will see what I have when it arrives. Thanks.
07-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well have won the camera auction, so will see what I have when it arrives. Thanks.
Did you win that K-7? Hope so O H i see you won the K-30 , well when you get it give a shout