Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

Lens tripod foot

I have a Pentax DA 60-250 lens that needs a tripod foot. I have contacted Pentax, Precision Camera repair and checked with B&H. I finally was able to get a reply from Precision on the second attempt. They claim that the only way to get the part is to send in the lens for repair.There is no repair required! The foot is designed to be removable, the lens is perfect, I just need the foot. Anyone have any ideas?

07-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was someone selling a tripod foot that they were making for that lens. Not OEM, but it looked nice. Not sure if it is still available but a search might find it it.

---------- Post added 07-07-16 at 08:06 PM ----------

Here is a link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/218882-fanotec-tripod-foot-p...da-lenses.html

Not sure if it is still available but you could contact them and see.
07-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
There was someone selling a tripod foot that they were making for that lens. Not OEM, but it looked nice. Not sure if it is still available but a search might find it it.

---------- Post added 07-07-16 at 08:06 PM ----------

Here is a link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/218882-fanotec-tripod-foot-p...da-lenses.html

Not sure if it is still available but you could contact them and see.
Thanks, I'll check into that!
07-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #4

I was in a similar position with a DA* 300. I ended up purchasing the Pentax Tripod Mount 38100 (KQ Adapter) on ebay for about $30 including shipping. The length of the "foot" is slightly shorter when compared side-by-side to the tripod foot that comes with the DA 60-250.

07-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Cox Quote
I have a Pentax DA 60-250 lens that needs a tripod foot. I have contacted Pentax, Precision Camera repair and checked with B&H. I finally was able to get a reply from Precision on the second attempt. They claim that the only way to get the part is to send in the lens for repair.There is no repair required! The foot is designed to be removable, the lens is perfect, I just need the foot. Anyone have any ideas?
Hmm, never knew this- at least there's a way to get the exact replacement foot if you currently done have one.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I got this one: Photography Accessories | Panoramic Photography | Tripod Head - Nodal Ninja
Plus a plate for my DA* 300, love it! If I remember right I got the LP70 to use it with.

Last edited by max_pyne; 07-08-2016 at 02:13 AM.
07-07-2016, 11:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Cox Quote
They claim that the only way to get the part is to send in the lens for repair.
Absurd. And this is supposedly a high end pro grade lens. Why would Ricoh Pentax not stock this easy to loose part for retail sale? What ever happened to customer service?
07-08-2016, 01:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

The Q's Q to K lens adapter uses the same foot, and needs to be purchased separately (from Pentax), if I remember correctly, as it does not come with the adapter. That was the original reason for the FanoTec foot (which PanoGuy convinced Fanotec into initially designing and fabricating) - which has a ArcaSwiss rail machined right in to the bottom of the foot - if I remember right. The original Pentax version was also somewhat expensive, which enabled FanoTec to design a more functional part and offer it for a bit less. I also think I remember FanoTec was going to only make an initial batch - because the demand was there but limited.

QuoteQuote:
Absurd. And this is supposedly a high end pro grade lens. Why would Ricoh Pentax not stock this easy to loose part for retail sale? What ever happened to customer service?
I never really understood why Pentax never included the part with the Q to K lens adapter, either.

Last edited by interested_observer; 07-08-2016 at 01:49 AM.
07-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Easily found on eBay, there are few sellers offering it from Japan. This is at moment the cheapest:

New Japanese Pentax Tripod for K Mount Lens Adapter Q | eBay

It's lower than those original on DA 60-250, but equal as those on DA 300, perfectly interchangeable.
07-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

From Pentax (USA) earlier this year:

Thank you for contacting RICOH.

The tripod foot is not a readily available replacement part but if you should need to replace we would have to escalate the request to our corporate office to see what they can do. RICOH does not sell parts to consumers so we do not have a price quote available.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.
07-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
From Pentax (USA) earlier this year:

Thank you for contacting RICOH.

The tripod foot is not a readily available replacement part but if you should need to replace we would have to escalate the request to our corporate office to see what they can do. RICOH does not sell parts to consumers so we do not have a price quote available.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.
Thanks for the information. That is more response than I was able to get. It seems that their policy is NO parts, not even the ones that are user serviceable.
07-09-2016, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

I think a tripod foot should be an "accessory" and sold as such on their website and elsewhere. No different than a lens hood, it is a user detachable accessory, not a "part".

Perhaps a fine distinction but it would allow corporate to sell us what is needed and still abide by the "no parts to consumers" rule.
08-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks to responses to this question I ordered the DA300 tripod foot from a dealer in Japan. The foot is not as long as or as deep as the one for the DA 60-250, but all other aspects are the same. Just received the part and repair was very easy. Required the removal of one screw and the exchange of the broken tab. i still don't understand why the entire lens would have to go to Precision Camera?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
08-10-2016, 03:44 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Glad you found a solution.

A tripod foot should be sold just like replacement lens caps and hoods. USA service is deficient, in part because of outsourcing to Precision. Shipping your lens to get a detachable part is nonsense.