Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 16-50 won't focus

So my 2.5 year old lens stopped focusing. I assumed it was the SDM motor and fortunately I had purchased a 3 year Square Trade warranty. Sent it to them and just heard they are not repairing it because they said

The issue that you had with your lend had a specific part which could not be replaced easily. Our repair facility were unable to repair it and thus offered a total reimbursement.

What could possibly have been messed up that could not be replaced. I loved that lens and used it all the time. I know I can get another but have no idea what happen to it

07-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax may not sell parts to them. It may just be a stock answer. It is easy to convert to screw drive btw.
07-10-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Pentax may not sell parts to them. It may just be a stock answer. It is easy to convert to screw drive btw.
I would have gotten it converted by you if it wasn't still under warranty. I am assuming that you haven't figured out how to convert the 60-250. My husbands SDM went out and will need to get it repaired
07-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I would have gotten it converted by you if it wasn't still under warranty. I am assuming that you haven't figured out how to convert the 60-250. My husbands SDM went out and will need to get it repaired
Still no luck on 60-250's.

07-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Is the reimbursement enough to buy a new one, or to get the lens fixed at Precision?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
it's enough to buy it when it goes back on holiday sale which is the price i got it for, $850...plus i had to send it in and they don't return it
08-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Hey, I just got the same message from STM about my K-5IIs. Unrepairable, they said, and a refund is coming. I had only sent it in because the SD card stopped springing out of its slot. A minor thing, but the warranty was expiring in a few months and I wanted to get everything ship-shape in time. I never suspected my camera would be totaled!

No matter, I got the use of it (heavy pro use, at that) for 18 months for free. Now, I'm forced (against my meager supply of will power) to buy a new Pentax. Looks like I could step into a new K-3 at no net cost. But I'd still be wanting that K-1. Whichever, I'll be buying a Square Trade warranty, just in case they want to buy me a free camera in two more years.
10-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I just converted my 60-250 using the instructions in this post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...ml#post2737443

It works. I was able to do it with my K-5 following the instructions.

My 16-50, not so much, now it just hunts and hunts. I need to switch it back or not try to use AF with the lens.

Edit: After further testing with the 60-250, it's not quite as fixed as I thought. When I first turn the camera on, the camera makes a hunting sound with the screw drive if the lens is wildly out of focus. Move it into focus and the SDM motor takes over, and works as it should. If the lens is already near focus, the SDM works. So if it's way out of focus, I just need to get it close and it'll work.

I consider this an improvement as the SDM never worked very well since I bought it, and I'd need to press the AF button multiple times, and try to move the focus ring to get the SDM to work at all. Somehow, the editing lens has partially fixed the SDM. Not completely, but far better than it was.

Last edited by alohadave; 10-03-2016 at 10:46 PM. Reason: More details
10-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
I just converted my 60-250 using the instructions in this post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...ml#post2737443

It works. I was able to do it with my K-5 following the instructions.

My 16-50, not so much, now it just hunts and hunts. I need to switch it back or not try to use AF with the lens.

Edit: After further testing with the 60-250, it's not quite as fixed as I thought. When I first turn the camera on, the camera makes a hunting sound with the screw drive if the lens is wildly out of focus. Move it into focus and the SDM motor takes over, and works as it should. If the lens is already near focus, the SDM works. So if it's way out of focus, I just need to get it close and it'll work.

I consider this an improvement as the SDM never worked very well since I bought it, and I'd need to press the AF button multiple times, and try to move the focus ring to get the SDM to work at all. Somehow, the editing lens has partially fixed the SDM. Not completely, but far better than it was.
Yes that result is typical assuming sdm is working at all. The sdm and screw drive fight occasionally. It is deeply odd.