Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter

AF540 FGZ ii - battery connection

Hi,

I am having what appears to be a problem with the af540fgz ii flash.

I'm a little disappointed as it decided to start acting up on a paid (albeit small) job.

What I am seeing is the following - I put in 4 new AA alkaline batteries (duracell or Kirkland). Flick the power to on.

Nothing happens.

I squeeze ever so slightly on the battery door and the flash turns on!

I have another af540 mark 1 and these same batteries work fine with that one without needing to squeeze etc...

The flash itself appeared to be working fine for the past two weeks or so and the only difference is that locally it has gotten much warmer.

What I am wondering is whether rising temperatures where I live may have caused the battery contacts to expand and as a result not make proper contact.

Has anybody else had this problem with the mark 2 AF 540 FGZ???

Thanks.

07-15-2016, 02:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've heard of issues with the battery door outright falling off on the original 360, but I'm not sure about the 540. It's certainly possible that wear and tear plus ambient conditions could be affecting the contacts. Do you have any way to clamp the door or adjust the springs to compensate?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used the both the original 540 and the 540II extensively and have not experienced a similar problem. Could you maybe wrap a tight rubber band around the flash and battery door to apply pressure? I know it is not ideal but maybe it could get you by for now. Or you can possibly order a new battery door from Pentax and replace it.
07-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Make sure the contacts are clean, it doesn't take much. If nothing else works you could carefully put a small drop of solder on each contact to build them up, or use conductive tape.

07-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've heard of issues with the battery door outright falling off on the original 360, but I'm not sure about the 540. It's certainly possible that wear and tear plus ambient conditions could be affecting the contacts. Do you have any way to clamp the door or adjust the springs to compensate?
I tried a duracell AA battery and for whatever reason it works fine and no issue - issue looks to be with Kirkland (cost co own brand) AA batteriers. The crazy thing is that these are supposed to be rebranded batteries!

I've since picked up eneloop's to use with the flash which would be better anyway

I'll update with how I get on. I had thought that AA batteries were a standard size???
07-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by tomO2013 Quote
I tried a duracell AA battery and for whatever reason it works fine and no issue - issue looks to be with Kirkland (cost co own brand) AA batteriers. The crazy thing is that these are supposed to be rebranded batteries!

I've since picked up eneloop's to use with the flash which would be better anyway

I'll update with how I get on. I had thought that AA batteries were a standard size???
QuoteOriginally posted by tomO2013 Quote
They're supposed to be- but I wouldn't be surprised if off-brand batteries cut corners on the standards or the QC.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: