Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter

35-105 Dissasembly (small fungus on front element)

Hello all! I got my 35-105 Pentax M from fleabay today and I noticed a small bit of fungus on the front element. I don't notice it in the photos it takes, but I want to nip it in the bud. I'm very new to camera repairs, but I've been taking care of computer equipment for years now so I'm used to working with delicate things (and I'm only getting to the front element, not going into the barrel any).

Any tips on how to go about getting into the darn thing? What to watch out for when I do?

07-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Radical Dreamer Quote
Hello all! I got my 35-105 Pentax M from fleabay today and I noticed a small bit of fungus on the front element. I don't notice it in the photos it takes, but I want to nip it in the bud. I'm very new to camera repairs, but I've been taking care of computer equipment for years now so I'm used to working with delicate things (and I'm only getting to the front element, not going into the barrel any).

Any tips on how to go about getting into the darn thing? What to watch out for when I do?
There is no M 35-105mm. Did you get the A 35-105mm?

I recently took apart a cheap Takumar-A zoom lens, and getting to the front element required a considerable amount of disassembly. The little ball inside the aperture ring is also super-easy to lose and difficult to replace if you're not careful.

As the 35-105mm is a pretty good lens, my recommendation would be to either get it cleaned professionally by someone like Eric, or to just let the fungus be. Since I haven't taken apart this particular lens, though, perhaps it's easier than the one I tried.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is no M 35-105mm. Did you get the A 35-105mm?

I recently took apart a cheap Takumar-A zoom lens, and getting to the front element required a considerable amount of disassembly. The little ball inside the aperture ring is also super-easy to lose and difficult to replace if you're not careful.

As the 35-105mm is a pretty good lens, my recommendation would be to either get it cleaned professionally by someone like Eric, or to just let the fungus be. Since I haven't taken apart this particular lens, though, perhaps it's easier than the one I tried.
Yeah, it's the A. I forget it even has auto aperture to be honest.

I think I'll take it in to get professionally cleaned. It looks in remarkable shape other than the fungus and I'm still hoping that the fleabay buyer I got it from will pay for it. I have a feeling I'm asking for trouble if I do it myself.
07-18-2016, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The front group (it's a cemented pair) on this lens can be easily accessed by removing the retaining ring. However, you'd be best advised to get a proper lens spanner for removal of the ring as in most case for this lens, it's screwed in fairly tightly. One slip and you're likely to do some damage.

Having experience in both as a computer technician (over 25 years) and lens repairer (last 5 years), I can tell you that working with lenses require much more dexterity, care and patience. You really can't compare both. They are two totally different fields. :-)

07-18-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tom1803 Quote
The front group (it's a cemented pair) on this lens can be easily accessed by removing the retaining ring. However, you'd be best advised to get a proper lens spanner for removal of the ring as in most case for this lens, it's screwed in fairly tightly. One slip and you're likely to do some damage.

Having experience in both as a computer technician (over 25 years) and lens repairer (last 5 years), I can tell you that working with lenses require much more dexterity, care and patience. You really can't compare both. They are two totally different fields. :-)
That's actually really cool that you got into lens repair as well! I'm stuck behind a desk pushing financial papers.

I think I'm just going to take it to a professional. I really like the lens and I don't want to break it.
07-19-2016, 04:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
+1 for everything that tom1803 said.
07-19-2016, 04:55 AM   #7
Marketplace Reseller

A word of warning:

Despite the element being theoretically accessible from the front by removing the retaining ring, in the 5 or 6 of these I've worked on, the ring/front element combo has always been cemented in so tightly that no amount of solvent of heat was able to loosened it up enough to get it out safely. If that's the case, then you have to remove the entire front barrel, which is actually a threaded helical. IIRC, you have to remove the grip and remove some guides through various access holes to take it out. If you attempt this, make sure to mark the thread entry point, or it is going to take a lot of trial and error to put it back correctly..

QuoteOriginally posted by tom1803 Quote

07-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
A word of warning:

Despite the element being theoretically accessible from the front by removing the retaining ring, in the 5 or 6 of these I've worked on, the ring/front element combo has always been cemented in so tightly that no amount of solvent of heat was able to loosened it up enough to get it out safely. If that's the case, then you have to remove the entire front barrel, which is actually a threaded helical. IIRC, you have to remove the grip and remove some guides through various access holes to take it out. If you attempt this, make sure to mark the thread entry point, or it is going to take a lot of trial and error to put it back correctly..
This lens should be sent to either Eric or dcshooter as Adam said. I wouldn't give mine up and certainly not attempt surgery. It's that good.