Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #1

K5 Dial jumps the shutter speed, opinion on repair?

I am sending a lens in to get repaired, but I also have an issue with my K5, it jumps shutter speed when Im changing it with the dial. It doesn't always do it but it does it often enough that I cant really use it in manual mode. I tried cleaning it which worked temporarily. Any suggestions? Should I send it in or repair locally?

08-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Senseriffic Quote
I am sending a lens in to get repaired, but I also have an issue with my K5, it jumps shutter speed when Im changing it with the dial. It doesn't always do it but it does it often enough that I cant really use it in manual mode. I tried cleaning it which worked temporarily. Any suggestions? Should I send it in or repair locally?
Does this happen in TAv mode also or only M mode?
Can you use Av mode and exposure compensation to get your exposure the way you want - it's not as direct but you can "back into" the exposure multiple ways.
08-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I seem to recall an issue with lubricant fouling contacts of dial controllers. A quick search in the forum should yield numerous posts... I believe it was specific to Kr but not exclusive.
08-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, as mentioned there was discussion in this forum about the problem. I have the problem on my Kx, and as I recall the discussion (and a solution) was about the Kx, Kr and/or Km.

08-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

IMO, two possible things causing it. First one, loss of contact, maybe from a grease issue already mentioned, and a second one, partially disconnected (or dirty, oxide covered...) flex cable. I never had the issue with the grease, but I have experienced the second problem on my k-30. Solved by reconnecting the flex cable that went from it. At first, it was not apparent that something was wrong, but I tried it anyway and voila. On my k-x I had to open the camera several times to reconnect the flex cable that fed the rear panel, any stronger blow or manipulation with heavy lenses was disconnecting it, in the end I glued it in place.

When you say that the cleaning helped, did you disassembled the camera to clean the potentiometer (or whatever it is), or you cleaned from the exterior? I've never disassembled the k-5, and would like to see its innards. Please document the effort if you are opening the beast.

I hope that you will get your issue resolved somehow. Best of luck.
08-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It will be a rotary encoder. I'm not sure which type it would be, but it will either be a magnetic or optical one, doubtful would be a conductive one as they are fairly obsolete now.
Optical ones work using an LED/Photodiode with a slotted plate passing between them - they are very susceptible to dust and dirt, so I would hope it isn't that...but it would explain the symptom. Cleaning would require disassembling and a good blast of air.
Magnetic ones are basically stepper motors in reverse and is the most likely type for it to be. However this means the most likely explanation for the symptom is a poor connection or short.
08-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm having the same issues with an old K100D, I know the K100D is old and probably not worth fixing, except this one has been modified to shoot IR and I have a bit of money into it. So is the only way to fix this is to take it apart? I've heard of people putting a little electronics cleaner on the dial and spinning it around to clean the contacts...but I wouldn't even know where to get said cleaner or if that is even a good idea.
08-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Try Radio Shack or Fry's for the contact cleaner....a small squirt, work the wheel in both directions....will probably remedy the issue in the short term, but quite likely it will return. WHEN is the only question....

good luck