Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2016, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The bigger question, I have, is why are you always such a skeptic of anything even remotely negative about Pentax support on these forums? Things don't improve until we admit the truth. And the truth is Pentax support in the US stinks horribly.
I often do so for posts that make claims such as something always being the case when evidence is to the contrary. I am more likely to do so when the comment is off-topic and in the form of a rant. Doing so is marginally more useful than to simply boriscletoTM without giving the user a chance to redeem themselves by explaining, but still worth it. My experience has been that very few people are always off-base or systematically worth ignoring.

You may be surprised, but now that you give a few details, I do remember posts from last year regarding a 2015 eBay K-r purchase that gave you reason to believe that defective stuff from the Pentax warehouse (reportedly closed not too long before) was making its way onto eBay. I looked this evening, but could not find more than the isolated comment here and there, but I do remember.

For what its worth, I have frequently expressed my dismay regarding the disconnect between Pentax customer service and the repair service at Precision and am a strong proponent of Pentax setting up its own U.S. repair facility and working (once again) with local repair shops as a system of authorized warranty service and repair shops. Qualifying the need for repair or replacement need not funnel through the receiving dock at Precision and neither should repairs that don't require specialized instrumentation.

Edit: I should probably qualify that I have consistently gotten timely and useful response from Ricoh/Pentax customer service and have had no personal issues with Pentax cameras/lenses/accessories with the exception of a K-50 purchased for a friend that suffered aperture control block failure a month out of warranty. I contacted customer service and was assured that Pentax would cover the repair and they did. I should probably also mention that I am appalled by the current state of product quality for interchangeable lens cameras industry wide, where as many as two in 26 boxes from a major maker (not Pentax) go back for repair or replacement.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-11-2016 at 09:08 PM.
09-07-2016, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon doesn't supply parts either so Pentax uses that as an excuse. Nikon, however has many authorized repair centers. It certainly would make it easier for professionals if a local guy could work on things, let alone people who want to do it themselves.
09-07-2016, 10:39 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I know why Pentax wants to do all the repairs. Years ago Pentax didn't want anyone but them to work on the LX. The reason was that the covers were put on with black silicone seal around the covers etc. to enhance weather resistance. If they didn't work on all the cameras, they might not be sealed and Pentax might look bad. Almost all current Pentax DSLR's are weather sealed. If someone works on the camera and the seals aren't right people will blame Pentax. Years ago I repaired a little Pentax digital WR camera that my son dropped. I ordered in a new LCD and a new gasket. Would everyone have replaced the gasket? Probably not. Hmmm. ( I still would like to be able to get an aperture control assembly).
09-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregSMC Quote
I know Pentax used to have a parts center in Colorado.

With the new K-1 breaking into the pro market Pentax really needs parts availability more than ever.

My Pentax K-50 purchased new with 5600 actuations which has been babied and appears new, developed an aperture issue. It's my belief it's probably just a small inexpensive horseshoe solenoid. I took the camera apart cleaned and lightly lubed the solenoid plunger and it worked perfectly for several hours, the next morning the problem recurred. It's extremely frustrating not to have parts available.

It would bolster Pentax reputation for quality and I feel market share as well as resale value to back up their products with replacement parts, service guides etc. I understand the K-5 had a problem with an inexpensive button that popped off and certainly the K-30 and K-50 have some reliability issues even at low shutter counts, of course people drop there and damage cameras and they just plain wear out as well.

Can we please petition and/or write group letter to Pentax decision makers to make replacement parts available in the U.S. at the very least the most common parts perhaps like LCD screen, knobs, switches, buttons, grips/adhesive, lens parts/front-rear elements and other parts commonly needed.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/329685-new-a...verything.html