Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2016, 06:25 PM   #1

Please petition Pentax to supply replacement parts

I know Pentax used to have a parts center in Colorado.

With the new K-1 breaking into the pro market Pentax really needs parts availability more than ever.

My Pentax K-50 purchased new with 5600 actuations which has been babied and appears new, developed an aperture issue. It's my belief it's probably just a small inexpensive horseshoe solenoid. I took the camera apart cleaned and lightly lubed the solenoid plunger and it worked perfectly for several hours, the next morning the problem recurred. It's extremely frustrating not to have parts available.

It would bolster Pentax reputation for quality and I feel market share as well as resale value to back up their products with replacement parts, service guides etc. I understand the K-5 had a problem with an inexpensive button that popped off and certainly the K-30 and K-50 have some reliability issues even at low shutter counts, of course people drop there and damage cameras and they just plain wear out as well.

Can we please petition and/or write group letter to Pentax decision makers to make replacement parts available in the U.S. at the very least the most common parts perhaps like LCD screen, knobs, switches, buttons, grips/adhesive, lens parts/front-rear elements and other parts commonly needed.

08-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

They may not have the part you need right now, but have you seen this site?

DSLR Camera Parts

Worth book marking

Also I found
http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-pentax-camera-parts.html
08-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
They may not have the part you need right now, but have you seen this site?

DSLR Camera Parts

Worth book marking

Also I found
http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-pentax-camera-parts.html
Do you know of a place to get parts for Pentax film cameras?
08-10-2016, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Try
Pentax Camera Repair Parts
and
PENTAX Film Camera Parts | eBay

08-10-2016, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
Pentax Parts Center

Thanks so much for the replies and references Steve.Ledger and Donlass.

I was a high school photographer in the late 1970's and am relearning digital photography as a hobby. I picked up lenses and cameras locally off Craigslist, swap meets, resale shops etc. and Ebay and resold the extra items on Ebay where I was a top rated plus power seller, but Ebay reps were crooked jerks that went off on womens rights tirades, verbally assaulted me, ripped me off and posted false negatives. Worse I built custom bicycles I sold on Ebay and am now stuck with $30,000 of bicycles parts and tools.

The parts sources would have been useful if I was not quitting the camera equipment hobby due to Ebay fraud but I really appreciate them you folks are the best. I had planned on selling the K-50 to get a K-5 or K-3 I really need the battery grip for larger lenses and it suddenly developed the aperture issue so I'm glad no one else got ripped off but unhappy I'm stuck with a broken low use camera I purchased new and took good care of.

I would still like to find a way to get Pentax to sell parts in the U.S. and would like to know if the Pentax community wanted to draft a request and come up with the contact info, in my opinion it would be a boost to Pentax and Pentax users. I'm a former auto, bicycle, truck, motorcycle, snowmobile. HVAC/electrical and industrial equipment/electrical mechanic I place a very high value on serviceability and parts availability. A group effort would be more persuasive.

Thanks again.
08-11-2016, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Your experience with eBay is exactly why Pentax is unlikely to make replacement parts available.

For every person like you who is both skilled and conscientious in fixing cameras, there are people who are unscrupulous or unskilled in repairing delicate microelectronic and precision mechanical systems. Making replacement parts available would lead to badly repaired cameras showing up on eBay and other used camera shops. That would damage Pentax's reputation. The only way for Pentax to ensure the quality of used equipment is to restrict availability of parts to authorized repair shops.

As much as the policy sucks for those with the skills to fix their own cameras, that policy helps protect those who might buy used Pentax equipment.
08-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It would be great if these parts were for sale from Pentax.
08-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #8
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Your experience with eBay is exactly why Pentax is unlikely to make replacement parts available.

For every person like you who is both skilled and conscientious in fixing cameras, there are people who are unscrupulous or unskilled in repairing delicate microelectronic and precision mechanical systems. Making replacement parts available would lead to badly repaired cameras showing up on eBay and other used camera shops. That would damage Pentax's reputation. The only way for Pentax to ensure the quality of used equipment is to restrict availability of parts to authorized repair shops.

As much as the policy sucks for those with the skills to fix their own cameras, that policy helps protect those who might buy used Pentax equipment.

Considering a large number of camera bodies and lenses of various states (oil spots on K5 sensors, SDM not working, loose optics in lenses, or nothing wrong at all) were sold on ebay en masse a year and a half ago, from the Pentax warehouse in Colorado, I doubt this is an issue to them.

Having a K-50 break down with light use is more a mark on their reputation than anyone botching a repair on their own.

However, I'm sure that is the reason they would provide, since that reason guarantees them more money in their pockets from funneling more repairs their way at inflated pricing (parts AND labor). ebay itself just has used parts from cameras pulled apart.. much like an auto salvage yard. That is much different than buying new parts from a parts warehouse to me.

I'd love if they reopened the parts warehouse. At the very least, if they opened a parts warehouse to all other repair facilities that would allow for more competition in the repair services. But, again, I understand why they don't do that because it would mean less money in their pockets (from increased competition).

I'm not sure a petition is going to change anything. The sheer number of complaints against Precision hasn't phased Ricoh. They just hand resolve the bad cases and keep kicking the can down the road.

08-11-2016, 07:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't personally need parts, but the authorized repair shops can't even seem to get them (in a timely manner). So it is a definite problem, at least in the USA. Pentax service is just poor, it must be said. (And has actually gotten worse under Ricoh.) I had heard rumors of them supposedly opening their own U.S. repair facility -- any action on that?
08-11-2016, 11:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter

It's bad.

Last edited by donlass; 08-11-2016 at 09:51 PM.
08-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where would Pentax USA get the money to maintain a local parts inventory, order fulfillment system and employee staff when they can't even afford an in-house Webstore or Customer Service Department?
08-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I believe there is a misunderstanding regarding how parts sales were done by Pentax Corporation (not Hoya, not Ricoh), back in the days when they did repairs and maintained a parts warehouse in Golden, CO.
  • Yes, Pentax would sell certain small parts to end users. This practice continued until fairly recently.
  • No, they did not sell everything in the parts catalog to end users/hobbyists
  • No, they did not stock all parts
  • Parts sales were intended then, as now, to support authorized Pentax repair shops, of which there were many
The above information is based on personal experience and conversations with authorized Pentax repair persons here in the Portland area. In my opinion, it is not in Ricoh/Pentax best interest to make parts available.

Steve
08-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Considering a large number of camera bodies and lenses of various states (oil spots on K5 sensors, SDM not working, loose optics in lenses, or nothing wrong at all) were sold on ebay en masse a year and a half ago, from the Pentax warehouse in Colorado, I doubt this is an issue to them.
Is this rumor or can you verify the origin of that junk? Are you aware that Costco and other big box stores sell returned/defective goods as bulk lots to companies that specialize in that class of goods?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-11-2016 at 01:57 PM.
08-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is this rumor or can you verify the origin of that junk? Are you aware that Costco and other big box stores sell returned/defective goods as bulk lots to companies that specialize in that class of goods?

Steve
It is my understanding that the contents of the RIAC returned Merch area was sold as a block to KEH, who graded and sold it on their own website (perhaps some of the items were eventually sold in their eBay Webstore, but not in open auction on eBay).

I have this understanding from a non-impeachable source.
08-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #15
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I did a long time ago in the big thread about it. I bought one of the many K-r bodies available back then. It had an SD card still in it that had images of the inside of the warehouse.. and a worker making a PB sammich. I also spoke with one of the auctioneers about it..

The bigger question, I have, is why are you always such a skeptic of anything even remotely negative about Pentax support on these forums? Things don't improve until we admit the truth. And the truth is Pentax support in the US stinks horribly.