Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #1

Cracked housing on K1 at the top of Pentaprism?

Tripod tipped over and camera landed right on the point of the pentaprism. Top of housing has a small crack running near the top of that pyramid shape.

Does this go back to Pentax to be fixed?

I did a number of shots to see if there are any issues. Seams fine, is there anything I should be worried about. I'm assuming dust and water are now a big issue, I mainly shoot in the studio. I put a small piece of table over the crack to keep dust out for now.

08-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #2

Yes, you would have to send it in for service. I'd imagine the parts would not be readily in stock so you may have to wait some time. Damage would not be covered under warranty either.

Seems like you are not the first the crack the case though.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/325423-ugh-i-broke.html
08-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That sucks! If it's $$$$$ to fix, you could just put some gaffer tape over it or a tiny amount of epoxy and call it good to go.
08-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel your pain. In your shoes I might wait and try to send it when they have the part if that is even possible.
I think mine was more broken than yours.

08-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I feel your pain. In your shoes I might wait and try to send it when they have the part if that is even possible.
I think mine was more broken than yours.
Yeah. I just talked to my main photographer in the studio and we decided to wait until Dec. that way we can shoot product for the holiday season, by December we aren't doing any marketing material so we're taking way less photos. I have a peice of electrical tape over the crack to keep out dust for now, and it almost never leaves the studio so water is not a concern.

My back up is a dust filled KX with a shutter count over 300 000 so basically no back up at all.

Do you happen to know the part number for that top housing shell?
08-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, I'm so sorry about yours & Matt's accidents! I hope you both can get them fixed; I know it would devastate me if that happened.
08-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Wow, I'm so sorry about yours & Matt's accidents! I hope you both can get them fixed; I know it would devastate me if that happened.
Thanks. It's annoying but also just part of doing work. It could have been worse.

08-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, these things happen.. sometimes the best you can do is patch it and keep on using the gear. I bet it'd be fine for years to come with the tape on it.
08-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Yeah, these things happen.. sometimes the best you can do is patch it and keep on using the gear. I bet it'd be fine for years to come with the tape on it.
That's the plan. Our studio is very dusty due to the work we do. Hopefully tape will keep out the dust till we have a lull and I can get this repaired.
08-26-2016, 05:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K5IIs crashed and was heavily damaged...so Mrs Rupert bought me the K1. I loved my K5IIs and adore my K1...but my devious mind does wonder....if my K1 crashed and was destroyed....would she buy me a 645Z? I guess it doesn't hurt to think ahead?

Seriously, I feel for those that incur camera accidents. I was sick when my K5IIs was badly damaged, it broke my heart. Best of luck to you guys with repairs. I have felt your pain. Hope you also find a silver lining!

Regards!