Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FA31 Lost Infinity Focus

My FA31 fell from my bag right on the hood. It is now loose and the lens has lost the ability to focus at infinity unless I finagle with the hood and pop it into the right spot. I need to get it fixed. Are there options other than Precision? This isn't warranty. I'm willing to spend a bit more for good, quick service.

08-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
My FA31 fell from my bag right on the hood. It is now loose and the lens has lost the ability to focus at infinity unless I finagle with the hood and pop it into the right spot. I need to get it fixed. Are there options other than Precision? This isn't warranty. I'm willing to spend a bit more for good, quick service.
Ouch

Advance Photo in Portland might be able to do this. If you call them, be sure they are clear that you are not interested in having them send it on to Precision if the repair is beyond them.* Eric Hendrickson may also be able. See the list on the sticky for this forum:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/316284-penta...e-listing.html

Steve

* A common practice in the camera repair world.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-18-2016 at 04:55 PM.
08-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
a5m
Veteran Member

If I were you I would send it only to Brian (dcshooter). He treats lenses as if they were his own, and does a very thorough job with constant updates along the way. If one way of fixing it doesn't work, he'll try another, and another until he's tried them all.

Sorry to hear about the lens though but I hope you get it back to normal soon.
08-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
If I were you I would send it only to Brian (dcshooter). He treats lenses as if they were his own, and does a very thorough job with constant updates along the way. If one way of fixing it doesn't work, he'll try another, and another until he's tried them all.
Thanks, I sent him a message. I hope he'll take the job.

QuoteQuote:
Sorry to hear about the lens though but I hope you get it back to normal soon.
It happens. Fortunately, the lens isn't shattered. It also fell at the very end of my trip; it was missed a bit but I had FA*24 to fill in, although it's not quite as good. I debated heading over to Yodobashi Camera to buy another one for the rest of the trip but the 24 got me what I needed. (Since I shoot at f/10+ with wide angles anyway.)

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ouch

Advance Photo in Portland might be able to do this. If you call them, be sure they are clear that you are not interested in having them send it on to Precision if the repair is beyond them.* Eric Hendrickson may also be able. See the list on the sticky for this forum:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/316284-penta...e-listing.html
Thanks! If Brian doesn't take the job, now I have lots of people to turn to. This was what I was looking for.

08-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You know about Eric Hendrickson in Knoxville, TN?
That is his kind of repair and very affordable.
08-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #6
a5m
Veteran Member

Thanks, I sent him a message. I hope he'll take the job.
Not a problem. From my experience with the two lens repair guys referred to on this forum, I had more confidence in Brian and was more pleased with his work. I felt like I was getting more than my money's worth. He's a busy guy because he gets a lot of work but I don't see why he wouldn't take the job. He seems to have a real passion for this stuff so I'm sure he'll be up for the challenge.

It happens. Fortunately, the lens isn't shattered. It also fell at the very end of my trip; it was missed a bit but I had FA*24 to fill in, although it's not quite as good. I debated heading over to Yodobashi Camera to buy another one for the rest of the trip but the 24 got me what I needed. (Since I shoot at f/10+ with wide angles anyway.)
That's good to know that the damage wasn't too severe and that you still had another lens to get the job done. I'm a bit surprised, and relieved, to here the FA* 24 isn't as good. I had thought about getting it but now I think my FA31 is all I need.

All the best and hope to hear some good news soon.
08-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm a bit surprised, and relieved, to here the FA* 24 isn't as good. I had thought about getting it but now I think my FA31 is all I need.
I should write a review of it but the FA*24 is really an f/8+ lens, at least how I see it. I haven't used it a ton (and dropping the FA31 did give me a chance to use it more) but it definitely needs more sharpening. I pretty much use it at f/10, f/11, f/13. The results are pretty good. It needs a bit more spiffing in post but it's a solid performer, just not like FA31.

08-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Eric should be able to fix it for you, he's about to fix my FA 43mm on which the screwdrive AF and MF broke.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #9
a5m
Veteran Member

I should write a review of it but the FA*24 is really an f/8+ lens, at least how I see it. I haven't used it a ton (and dropping the FA31 did give me a chance to use it more) but it definitely needs more sharpening. I pretty much use it at f/10, f/11, f/13. The results are pretty good. It needs a bit more spiffing in post but it's a solid performer, just not like FA31.
Hmm that's interesting. Yes you should definitely write a review on it. If it needs to be stopped down that much it pretty much defeats its own purpose. You'd probably be better off getting the lighter and WR DA 20-40 Limited.
08-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You'd probably be better off getting the lighter and WR DA 20-40 Limited.
No good on K-1.
08-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #11
a5m
Veteran Member

No good on K-1.
Crop Mode . No but your right I didn't realize this was on a K-1. There's nothing else really comparable to the FA*24mm.