Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2016, 06:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Small broken lens issue-can it be fixed?

This is the first time I have broken a lens and I was wondering if it could just be glued. My camera fell out of my bag a few weeks ago and it landed on asphalt. I just noticed it a few days ago so it must getting looser.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
09-05-2016, 06:42 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What lens is it? If it's a fairly expensive lens, might be worthwhile to check into having it fixed professionally. If not; you could try a super glue of some kind (others can recommend which is best), and be able to clamp the broken part while the glue dries.

Sorry this happened to you.
09-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
What lens is it? If it's a fairly expensive lens, might be worthwhile to check into having it fixed professionally. If not; you could try a super glue of some kind (others can recommend which is best), and be able to clamp the broken part while the glue dries.

Sorry this happened to you.
It's the Pentax 18-135. The camera also has some black flecks in the viewfinder but otherwise works fine. The lens also seems to be ok other than this crack.
09-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be worthwhile to see what a repair would be from Precision, or from KEH; before trying to glue it; as this is a nice lens.

09-05-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

...and, if the impact was sufficient to break the plastic it might also have caused misalignment in one or more of the lens elements, so check out shots made with this lens for signs of optical problems.
09-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a real shame. Honestly, I'd be surprised if an impact sufficient to cause that damage didn't also damage the mechanism for moving the lens barrel in and out, as well as potentially knocking the optics out of alignment.

If it's economically viable to do so, I would put the lens in for repair somewhere.

At the very least, I'd run some tests to make sure it focuses accurately at the wide, mid and tele parts of the range, and isn't unusually soft in any parts of the image frame. The last thing you'd want is to take a bunch of photos in the coming weeks and months, then find later that they're unusable because of IQ issues.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on...
09-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
...and, if the impact was sufficient to break the plastic it might also have caused misalignment in one or more of the lens elements, so check out shots made with this lens for signs of optical problems.
I was told at a young age that a dropped camera or lens, particularly one with obvious physical damage, should be considered broken until it has been professionally evaluated and fixed. The inner workings of a modern zoom provide multiple opportunities for breakage and shifting of alignment.

Steve

09-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I have been using it about 4 weeks now since the drop but I just noticed this. I have been using it nearly everyday and I have noticed no issues with my photos, but I will look through again. I only noticed this while putting on my lens cap one day. It may have not been from that fall but it seems more likely since I can't think of anything else that would have caused it.
09-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Assuming you donʻt have it under some accident/drop warranty, and that youʻve run tests and canʻt discern any optical or mechanical problems, I would try just a bead of Superglue and clamp it.

However, if you use filters or a screw-in lens hood, and plan on taking them off and on from time to time, then youʻre best off sending it for pro repair.

Last edited by Alex645; 09-05-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: aquadomeʻs comment
09-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

A UV curing glue would be best, like 5-Second Fix. Super Glue would probably be okay. Don't use Gorilla Glue. It expands and oozes into places you don't want it to go, and it doesn't really stick to plastic very well.
09-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Super Glue would probably be okay.
The vapors are not safe around many plastics, and will craze some optics...just a cautionary note.

Steve
09-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The vapors are not safe around many plastics, and will craze some optics...just a cautionary note.

Steve
It also may discolor the black plastic, as no matter how careful you are, it goes where you don't want it to go.
With a lens of this quality, I'd send it in for repair. This crack may expand, and start letting dust, moisture in.

"It may have not been from that fall but it seems more likely since I can't think of anything else that would have caused it."

That took quite a blow to cause that much damage; so I would say definitely the fall caused it.