Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New K-S2 Dust in the Viewfinder

Hello,

Just bought a K-S2 from B&H and I noticed some dust in the viewfinder. I am wondering whether to have it exchanged or to have it sent for an repair. I still have the box intact but I have updated the firmware from 1.10 to 1.20. I will need it for my photography class so I would like to have the issue resolved ASAP even if it means that I have to pay a rush fee (as long as I can afford it). Would like to hear suggestions.

Sincerely

09-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No repair needed- just grab a rocket blower and get the dust out of there. It won't affect your pictures.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No repair needed- just grab a rocket blower and get the dust out of there. It won't affect your pictures.
I have tried this but it didn't work, so I suspect that the dust is trapped between the focusing screen and the prism.

Sent from my Android phone, please forgive any possible typos.
09-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
I will need it for my photography class so I would like to have the issue resolved ASAP even if it means that I have to pay a rush fee
Dust in the viewfinder has no impact on the actual image so no real reason to do anything except the annoyance factor.

As Adam suggests try a rocket blower to clear it. To be honest dust in the viewfinder is basically a fact of life for DSLRs. You can clean it but it will be back and it does not show on the image so I just ignore it.

09-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have tried this but it didn't work, so I suspect that the dust is trapped between the focusing screen and the prism.

Sent from my Android phone, please forgive any possible typos.
You paid good money and dust in the viewfinder optical path (between screen and prism) is not the norm. You can contact B&H and see what they suggest.

Steve
09-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You paid good money and dust in the viewfinder optical path (between screen and prism) is not the norm. You can contact B&H and see what they suggest.

Steve
Haven't done that yet, but I did send an e-mail to Ricoh USA and I'd like to see what they say.

Last edited by butangmucat; 09-06-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Typo
09-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't done that yet, but I did send an e-mail to Ricoh USA and I'd like to see what they say.
Your dealer is responsible for issues with a camera new out of box. B&H will pay for airfreight both ways to get you a replacement. Ricoh will likely offer warranty service to clean the camera with you paying for shipping. Note that it is important for you to make every effort using a hand blower (no canned air!!) to remove the dust.

Steve
09-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I am not sure if it was there from the 1st day, as I have just noticed it (three days after getting it). Talked to some other users, some have reported that it is very likely for dust to trap between the prism and the screen and there is no easy way to clean it (except sending it to Ricoh or Precision). That's why I contacted Ricoh first.

Sincerely

P.S. I have update the firmware, and I might have misplaced some accessories, so I thought I might have a better shot for a repair.

Last edited by butangmucat; 09-06-2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: P.S. extra info
09-06-2016, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Probably a bit late; but always change lenses (quickly) with the body hole facing downwards...
09-06-2016, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not sure if it was there from the 1st day
Then it is unlikely it was there from the factory. If it bugs you, you can have a local camera repair clear it out.

Steve
09-06-2016, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

no easy way to clean it (except sending it to Ricoh or Precision). That's why I contacted Ricoh first.
You said you were in a hurry to get this resolved. Sending it in to Precision for repair may not be a quick turnaround; depending on how many cameras are there before yours. Also count on about a week shipping each way.
10-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #12

Try removing the focusing screen

As implied here, the dust lies between the focus screen and the prism. There is a guide at http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/k5en.htm that shows you how to remove the focus screen. What you need to do is get at the inner surface of the focus screen, and the outer surface of the prism. It does seem like the K-S2 is more susceptible than most to this problem.

I did carry this out (used a rocket blower to get rid of the dust), but I was a little careless and I've got a small scratch near the upper edge of the screen (should have used plastic tweezers rather than metal), but all the dust is gone.

So basically, if you are confident enough to clean the sensor, or to change the focus screen, then go for it. If not, send it off for cleaning, or take it back to the dealer.

Last edited by fredcman; 10-14-2016 at 06:45 PM. Reason: In-correct statement