Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

Lens grease for servicing Super Takumar?

I've got a vintage Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5 that I'm working on.

There is some lubricating grease in the iris ring (the part where the ball bearing lives and clicks against the outer ring) and I was wondering if anybody knows what grease this is and where I can get some more? I've got a couple of these lenses to work on and I want to make sure I get the correct stuff as I know the wrong kind of grease can goop it up, leak everywhere, or react badly with the metal and other parts.

Thanks.

09-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #2

Many people use Synco's Super Lube brand products but I'm not sure exactly which one.

Synthetic Greases
09-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try this:

https://www.amazon.com/Helical-Grease-250-15ml-HG-250/dp/B005X386SM
09-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #4

I find the helical grease a little to light for aperture rings, which is why some people use the Super Lube for that purpose. The helical grease works on aperture rings but doesn't give enough damping and feel as "smooth" to my liking.

09-09-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another popular grease is MicroLubrol Helimax-XP. While usually used for focus helicoids, it would probably work well for for aperture ring bearings. It is available from Amazon and eBay and probably other sources as well.

Steve
09-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

For aperture ball bearings, I am using the same synthetic grease as for my jackhammer, and it works very well and costs peanuts. It stays dense until about a hundred degrees Celsius or so. And as I won't be cooking or frying my lenses...

Helimax XP is more adapted for helicoids but it will work as well, I've tried it and it gives a loose feel to most lenses with ball bearing click mechanism, though this depends on the lens as well. On the helios 44-2 or Biometar 2.8/80 (no ball bearing, but kind of a metal clip), Helimax did magic to the diaphragm ring, before it was a tough one to turn on both lenses.
09-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. One of these has actually been declicked. Without the pressure of the ball bearing there is only the slightest, barely detectable play in the iris ring. Are the various greases being mentioned thick enough to eliminate this play or too thin?