Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #1

Part needed for AF-540fgz

Hello,

I am painfully aware of the Pentax repair part availability. As a long time Pentaxian, (my first SLR was a Honeywell Spotmatic) I remember when we could get some repair parts. In any event, times have changed and I am in need of the rear housing for the base of my flash. I have never had an issue with the battery door but when someone at work knocked the flash, which was in its case, off my desk and onto a box two of the tabs on the housing broke off. this was a fall of about two feet. I assume the weight of the batteries must have been a contributing factor. The flash works fine if I tape the door closed but it is intermittent at times and not reliable for tripod or consecutive shoots. What I would like to find is a cadaver unit with a good back half of the base that I could cannibalize to replace the broken one on my unit. I have checked eBay but have not had any luck. I would greatly appreciate any ideas any of you might have. I am an engineer with experience in repairing electronics and micro-electronics so I am capable of accomplishing the task. The flat rate charge from precision Camera coupled with the shipping is about $200.00 plus a very long wait time so I am looking for other options. I would greatly appreciate any ideas or suggestions any of you might have.

Thank you all in advance,

Best regards,

SEWIS

09-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe 3d printing would work? Otherwise I would post a wanted ad in the wanted section (requires support membership) and hope someone has one. I have seen one or two busted AF540FGZ's flow through the forums over time.
09-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #3

Do you still have the tabs? You might be able to DIY repair with JB Plastic Weld. I fixed a broken tab on a Yuzo flash. There was plenty of room on the receiver slot for the tab so I glued a shim/splint on the tab made from the erase protect tab of a VHS tape cassette. Plastic Weld is a polymer epoxy that is designed to stick to many plastics (hint: as per instructions rough the surfaces up with sandpaper first). It also has better flexible strength then regular JB Weld epoxy. The only problem is that it dries a cream / off-white color but you shouldn't see it with the door installed.
09-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
or use sugru - bonds with plastics and turns solid like rubber. Lots of colour options.

09-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for your suggestions. I had not considered 3D printing...that may be worth pursuing. Posting in the "wanted" section is a good idea as well. Unfortunately gluing the tabs is not an option as they have disappeared. I put them in a small plastic zip bag on my desk and when I returned in the morning to a nice clean desk they were not there and I was unable to track them down. I may try to make some.

Thanks again,

Best regards

SEWIS
09-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/62-do-yourself/296343-flash-door-diy-repa...g-legos-2.html
09-13-2016, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Now that is very clever! I still think that the all the money that I spent on Legos for my sons was the pest toy money ever spent. The hours that they spent in creative play was great.

Best regards

09-13-2016, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #8

Pentax Genuine AF 540 FGZ Battery Cover Assy Replacement Spare Repair Part | 65854-0-y17 | uscamera.com
09-14-2016, 05:51 AM   #9

Original Poster

The cover is fine...it's two of the tabs on the body that have broken off.

Best regards