Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can't get Precision Camera to answer the phone.

I was directed by Ricoh to call Precision Camera about the tripod foot on my DFA 150-450 falling off and was told to ask for a quote on a repair.... for a lens that should be under warranty. The tripod foot broke off on it. Not 100% sure how. It was attached, then gave way, and the metal itself is broken where the tripod foot attaches to the collar.

Anyway, I have tried on numerous occasions to call them and get to the customer service line, and it simply goes to the same guy's voicemail each time. This isn't looking like a good start to this process.

09-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,
I live down the street from them. I call them regularly for whatever camera needs or questions I may have. Have you tried the local number: 512-467-7676? Tamra is my go to person. She might be off today and the service guys may only respond to Voicemails, those guys are BUSY! I suggest giving the shop a call and asking for Tamra or any other sales person. Give them your story and hopefully they can get you addressed,. PM me if you don't get contacted by Thursday. I'll reach out to Tamra and see what we can do.

Regards,
Rodney
09-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's very generous of you, Rodney, but the Precision Camera we're referring to is in Connecticut. Be glad you don't live next to them!

QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
Hello,
I live down the street from them. I call them regularly for whatever camera needs or questions I may have. Have you tried the local number: 512-467-7676? Tamra is my go to person. She might be off today and the service guys may only respond to Voicemails, those guys are BUSY! I suggest giving the shop a call and asking for Tamra or any other sales person. Give them your story and hopefully they can get you addressed,. PM me if you don't get contacted by Thursday. I'll reach out to Tamra and see what we can do.

Regards,
Rodney
09-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #4
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, it is the one in Connecticut that plenty have complained about on here in the past.

09-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Yep, it is the one in Connecticut that plenty have complained about on here in the past.
Shoot them an e-mail just in case. It's unacceptable that they can't answer the phone, but whatever increases the speed of a reply is good, I guess

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ask for a quote on a repair.... for a lens that should be under warranty.
I'm assuming Ricoh was aware that this lens "should" be under warranty. If so, why would you need a quote on a repair?

With the little switch/knobs falling off, and now this; I hope other owners don't experience any of these problems! Very fortunate the lens & camera didn't drop if it had broken during use!
09-13-2016, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

...I have tried on numerous occasions to call them and get to the customer service line...
In my experience for 2 warranty repairs, Precision neither answers the phone nor returns emails. The only way to deal with them is through a form on their website, plus paper when you ship your lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
...I'm assuming Ricoh was aware that this lens "should" be under warranty. If so, why would you need a quote on a repair?...
You visit the website for the only authorized USA warranty shop, Precision Camera (Enfield, CT, not affiliated with the one in TX). Precision has a form where you fill out some basic information and provide a credit card # agreeing to pay them. Then you mail them the lens, and they decide whether to charge your credit card or cover it under warranty after they look at the lens.

09-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
where you fill out some basic information and provide a credit card # agreeing to pay them.
For people that don't have credit cards, then they are simply out of luck, under warranty or not?
09-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

More examples of failed service situations. How can we put some heat on Pentax to get us some decent service? If these were autos the Govt would shut them down in a heartbeat.
Does anyone think we don't deserve decent and reasonably timed service?

Regards!
09-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a letter writing campaign to Ricoh/Pentax USA demanding better service from Precision in CT might be in order. I don't use social media, but does Ricoh/Pentax USA have a Facebook page? If so, it might be the place to start...
09-14-2016, 05:31 AM   #11
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I ended up filling out the contact us thing for a repair quote. Now we see what happens.
09-14-2016, 05:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm delighted to hear that the Precision Camera in question isn't the one in Texas. These guys are awesome. Good luck then!
09-14-2016, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I would like to see a survey poll here of those that have actually sent off their camera/lens for warranty repair and the rating they give for time of service and quality of the repair.

Warranty service does not apply to everyone, since I am assuming most people are like me and have been fortunate on many bodies not to need it, but any of us could at any time.

A survey/poll would reflect the true condition of service in a graph much better than in a bunch of posts, if each poster verified his result was authentic. This could be done with a list of questions regarding service reliability and approval/disapproval.

I am not a designer of polls or graphs, but I bet someone is?

Regards!
09-14-2016, 06:35 AM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I would like to see a survey poll here of those that have actually sent off their camera/lens for warranty repair and the rating they give for time of service and quality of the repair.

Warranty service does not apply to everyone, since I am assuming most people are like me and have been fortunate on many bodies not to need it, but any of us could at any time.

A survey/poll would reflect the true condition of service in a graph much better than in a bunch of posts, if each poster verified his result was authentic. This could be done with a list of questions regarding service reliability and approval/disapproval.

I am not a designer of polls or graphs, but I bet someone is?

Regards!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/329799-what-...d-ct-poll.html
09-14-2016, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Wow! That was faster than a speeding squirrel!

For that quick service, Otis Squirrel just upgraded you to Site Supporter with the accompanying benefits!

Congratulations!..... and he thanks you for your dedication and service here!

Remember guys/girls....Donate when you can to help keep this great Forum going strong! Otis can only steal so much to pay for these upgrades!

Best Regards!