Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is your experience with Pentax authorized repair in Enfield CT?
Happy with repair performed, communication, and speed of service 1225.53%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in communication 612.77%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in speed 36.38%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in speed AND communication 919.15%
Unhappy with repair performed, service speed and communication were good 12.13%
Unhappy with repair performed and communication, service speed good 12.13%
Unhappy with repair performed and service speed, communication good 24.26%
Unhappy with repair performed, service speed, and communication. 1327.66%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2016, 05:30 AM   #16
Emperor and Senpai

They have had my 150-450 for over a week now and no communication, though their self check shows they received it.

09-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
They are an odd company to me.. Because either you'll have no trouble with them or you'll have a ton of trouble. Some people here have reported no communication but their item returned (usually repaired) after weeks gone. But 8 weeks to me seems way out of the norm for them to have without any contact.

There was one guy who had a lens shipped (from Precision) to Japan apparently. That one took awhile (it was a 150-450mm too). I'd get on Ricoh CS though to get information. 8 weeks is way too long not to know.
Sent a request to Ricoh CS this morning. Will keep you posted.
09-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
They have had my 150-450 for over a week now and no communication, though their self check shows they received it.
They've had mine since August 1 & today they told me it was sent to the "factory". Did your lens jam?
09-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #19
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
They've had mine since August 1 & today they told me it was sent to the "factory". Did your lens jam?
Nope, the tripod food fell off. Looks like the metal in it had some micro-cracking since it had always had some flex and I didn't think much of it.

09-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope, the tripod food fell off. Looks like the metal in it had some micro-cracking since it had always had some flex and I didn't think much of it.
Well that shouldn't take too long to fix. Hope you get it back soon!
09-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
They are an odd company to me.. Because either you'll have no trouble with them or you'll have a ton of trouble. Some people here have reported no communication but their item returned (usually repaired) after weeks gone. But 8 weeks to me seems way out of the norm for them to have without any contact.

There was one guy who had a lens shipped (from Precision) to Japan apparently. That one took awhile (it was a 150-450mm too). I'd get on Ricoh CS though to get information. 8 weeks is way too long not to know.
Ricoh just called to tell me my lens had been shipped to Japan for repair, is back at Precision today & should be back to me in a few days. He didn't have the tracking number as it hadn't been created yet. Maybe I'll have it back by next week
09-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to wonder how much of the communication issue is just that there is nothing to communicate while Precision waits for parts from Ricoh.
09-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
Ricoh just called to tell me my lens had been shipped to Japan for repair, is back at Precision today & should be back to me in a few days. He didn't have the tracking number as it hadn't been created yet. Maybe I'll have it back by next week
Good to hear.

09-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They fixed my flash in a week or two. It was quick.

But I feel I dodged a bullet or just got lucky with a very simple repair, based on what everyone else has said about the company.
09-29-2016, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

After my call from Ricoh this morning Precision called me to give me a tracking # & to let me know it is a 2 day delivery. Wow, did my contacting Ricoh a few days ago cause this response or would it have happened just this way anyway? I'll never know! The main thing is the lens is on it's way home & both companies corresponded - some better than others Thanks to MEE for suggesting I contact Ricoh. Pentax Rocks!!
10-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #26
Forum Member

Not Happy all around

Mine was, and still is a head scratcher. I had bought a new K-01 from Adorama on 1-30-2013. Not quite a year after that, the camera just bricked, never to power up again. At the time Pentax instructed me to send it in for warranty repair, to CHRS, as Precision was not yet the repair center, Until August of 2014, (According to Ricoh). So, I send it off in January 2014 for repair, and it disappears for 6 months.Then I get an email mid June 2014, stating that All the repairs, tooling and parts were being sent to Precision, as CHRS was no longer an authorized repair facility. So, more time passes. I reach out to Precision to inquire if they had my camera, never got a reply. Then 2 weeks into August 2014, a box shows up at my house, with my still dead camera in it. No paperwork or explanation of any kind. I made a few attempts to contact Ricoh / Pentax with no success. So the camera sits bricked on my shelf. i did try recently to re open this nightmare with Ricoh, with no results yet again.
The response: Good evening James,

Sorry, I was travelling last week.
I got your receipt. thank you.

As per our Director operation, Precision has been appointed as our repair center in August 2014 not in 2013.
Any dealing in 2013 has to be sorted out in 2013.
So with that said, unfortunately there is nothing much that we can do.

Very Sincerely,

Yuliana Kwok
Customer Service and Purchasing Manager NA

RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION
Cell: 416-882-0357
Fax: 905-286-5586
yuliana.kwok@ricoh-imaging.ca
yuliana.kwok@us.ricoh-imaging.com

Way to take care of the customer....
10-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #27
Emperor and Senpai

They have had my 150-450 in "in repair" status since September 19. I've used the contact form and got a reply that they would forward my request for an update to the repair department, but still no communication.
10-07-2016, 06:27 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

They have had my 150-450 in "in repair" status since September 19. I've used the contact form and got a reply that they would forward my request for an update to the repair department, but still no communication.
They communicate so poorly it is almost comical.
10-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #29
Site Supporter

I had a non functioning diaphragm on a 100 mm DFA macro, still under warranty. It took about two months to come back, which Precision blamed on needing parts to come in from Japan. The lens has worked fine since July when it returned to me, but communications were minimal at best and I think that Pentax needs to do a better job on this if they expect to keep customers happy. It doesn't seem too much to ask that their authorized repair service keep replacement parts in stock, and that they actually bother to send e-mails when they know that things will be delayed. When it became apparent that they weren't returning this lens very quickly, I bought a used Pentax FA replacement since I use this lens a lot for art repro work so at least now I have back up.
10-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

I've detailed this before but I'll be brief and remind folks of how bad communication can get.

Sent camera a week or so after the swap to the new company for warranty work. Advised to delay to this point to avoid sending to old place and then cross shipping.
Camera there 2 months - no contact. Follow up multiple times - no answer on phones for 30-40 rings or more.
Finally get someone - they have no record of my camera.
Dig out paperwork from USPS - signature confirmed delivery. Pass this along.
Next they claim no receipt sent for proof of warranty. I fax a new copy of what they already have.
Magically my camera appears to be in Repair from out of nowhere - no contact from Precision.
Shows this way for a few days maybe a week.
As I follow up the next day, the camera shows up at my house fixed.
Later that week it shows shipped - long after it was here.

To be fair that is not a recent experience but it is also not unique. I have heard from other people outside of Pentax that that's just the way this place runs. They are apparently good at repairing things most of the time but they are no good at communications.