Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is your experience with Pentax authorized repair in Enfield CT?
Happy with repair performed, communication, and speed of service 1425.45%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in communication 712.73%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in speed 35.45%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in speed AND communication 916.36%
Unhappy with repair performed, service speed and communication were good 23.64%
Unhappy with repair performed and communication, service speed good 11.82%
Unhappy with repair performed and service speed, communication good 35.45%
Unhappy with repair performed, service speed, and communication. 1629.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #46
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Precision just called me again and are telling me that the warranty is void because of the tripod foot being broken off, which is why I sent the lens in in the first place. It failed when I had put the lens on a tripod. It had always had a little flex that I never even thought a thing about. Ohh, and the price tag increased to over 500 dollars for the repair! I don't think I will be able to recommend Pentax any more if this is not repaired under warranty.

10-25-2016, 10:32 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Precision just called me again and are telling me that the warranty is void because of the tripod foot being broken off, which is why I sent the lens in in the first place. It failed when I had put the lens on a tripod. It had always had a little flex that I never even thought a thing about. Ohh, and the price tag increased to over 500 dollars for the repair! I don't think I will be able to recommend Pentax any more if this is not repaired under warranty.
I don't blame you. Contact Ricoh immediately and calmly explain everything and see what they say. The sad truth is that there are people out there who take advantage of companies and make false claims that makes it so hard for those of us like you who are the victims of this.
10-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #48
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

I have called and have posted on their facebook page.
10-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have called and have posted on their facebook page.
Ugh. Here's hoping you get a response. For the failure itself to be called out as the reason you can't get warranty is insane. Tripod foot failed - lens fell - therefore damage is due to fall so not warranty... uh excuse me - doesn't the foot failure indicate a problem with the lens to begin with? Sigh...

10-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #50
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, it is circular reasoning on their part.
10-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, it is circular reasoning on their part.
Depending on the type of failure they could be blaming user error. Imagine if the tripod foot was incorrectly attached due to misunderstanding of how to do it. A user could misattach it and then drop the lens and blame Ricoh. Granted the opposite is also true - a faulty foot could fail and Precision could blame the user... hey wait a second...
10-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #52
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Depending on the type of failure they could be blaming user error. Imagine if the tripod foot was incorrectly attached due to misunderstanding of how to do it. A user could misattach it and then drop the lens and blame Ricoh. Granted the opposite is also true - a faulty foot could fail and Precision could blame the user... hey wait a second...
Here's the thing. When I mounted the lens on the tripod this stayed and the lens fell off and dropped into a camp chair. Glad it didn't damage my camera. I had never removed the tripod collar,a dn I don't even know if you can with this lens. It was shocking to see this happen. There are no signs of any damage anywhere on the lens barrel, hood, or mount. There are no scratches or chips anywhere.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
10-25-2016, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's the thing. When I mounted the lens on the tripod this stayed and the lens fell off and dropped into a camp chair. Glad it didn't damage my camera. I had never removed the tripod collar,a dn I don't even know if you can with this lens. It was shocking to see this happen. There are no signs of any damage anywhere on the lens barrel, hood, or mount. There are no scratches or chips anywhere.
Jimminy Cricket that's insane. I guess the first thing I would be saying to Ricoh is that they likely need this part in Japan to analyze. Metal fatigue in a part that young spells potential major trouble if this is wider spread than a single lens. They need to examine it and determine if the metal meets specs etc.
10-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #54
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Jimminy Cricket that's insane. I guess the first thing I would be saying to Ricoh is that they likely need this part in Japan to analyze. Metal fatigue in a part that young spells potential major trouble if this is wider spread than a single lens. They need to examine it and determine if the metal meets specs etc.
I would be fine with that as long as I get my lens back, repaired or replaced under warranty. It may have had something happen during shipping but I don't know. I wish someone with Ricoh was on here and could pass this along because frankly I am a bit mad at this happening when I was on a photography trip, the first time I was really going to give this lens a good workout, and how the repair is going with it. This is AFTER I spend 53 bucks to send it in to them at my expense to be repaired. This is my most expensive lens, and I hoped I'd get many years of use from it.
10-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #55
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would be fine with that as long as I get my lens back, repaired or replaced under warranty. It may have had something happen during shipping but I don't know. I wish someone with Ricoh was on here and could pass this along because frankly I am a bit mad at this happening when I was on a photography trip, the first time I was really going to give this lens a good workout, and how the repair is going with it. This is AFTER I spend 53 bucks to send it in to them at my expense to be repaired. This is my most expensive lens, and I hoped I'd get many years of use from it.
That is infuriating indeed. But, if I were in your situation, I'd get some rest, compose myself, and try to get someone on the phone at Ricoh tomorrow. Then, after that is done, explain the metal fatigue of the part and the damage wasn't due to your mistake or negligence but a direct effect of the (Pentax made) part failing prematurely.

I hate to say it.. but it seems Precision techs are throwing out the 'impact damage' card a lot recently.. and I'd surmise that is because it is getting expensive for them to keep replacing these items under warranty (in many cases whole lenses). Much cheaper to lie and get you to pay for it.
10-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #56
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That is infuriating indeed. But, if I were in your situation, I'd get some rest, compose myself, and try to get someone on the phone at Ricoh tomorrow. Then, after that is done, explain the metal fatigue of the part and the damage wasn't due to your mistake or negligence but a direct effect of the (Pentax made) part failing prematurely.

I hate to say it.. but it seems Precision techs are throwing out the 'impact damage' card a lot recently.. and I'd surmise that is because it is getting expensive for them to keep replacing these items under warranty (in many cases whole lenses). Much cheaper to lie and get you to pay for it.
I called Ricoh last Friday over it and expected a call today on it. I also posted on their FB page as well, though I may message them. I should not have to pay over $500 (the estimate grew) to repair a factory defect in materials and a very expensive lens. I may call them back tomorrow.
10-25-2016, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #57
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I called Ricoh last Friday over it and expected a call today on it. I also posted on their FB page as well, though I may message them. I should not have to pay over $500 (the estimate grew) to repair a factory defect in materials and a very expensive lens. I may call them back tomorrow.
Yes, I agree. That's why I'd call them tomorrow and explain the situation politely. Warranty should cover issues with workmanship of the product.
10-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #58

Sent my K-1 in for AF module fixing (all AF lenses failed beyond microfocus adjust range) on 9/30. Entered repair on 10/3. Called a week later for a status update, they had ordered parts for the dial issue mentioned here. Glad to know they were addressing issues before it rears its head. Called yesterday (10/24), the representative said it was strange that no movement had been recorded on it in a while, and now I await to hear back...
10-25-2016, 10:01 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have that same lens and carry it by the collar
I will tell that the collar on that lens is removable, though more difficult to remove than the collar on the DA* 300. IMO it doesn't seem like a better design, based on the fact that yours failed and mine gets wobbly on occasion, needing removal and tightening.
Good luck. I hope Ricoh makes the right choice for you.
10-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #60
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I have that same lens and carry it by the collar
I will tell that the collar on that lens is removable, though more difficult to remove than the collar on the DA* 300. IMO it doesn't seem like a better design, based on the fact that yours failed and mine gets wobbly on occasion, needing removal and tightening.
Good luck. I hope Ricoh makes the right choice for you.
I'd take a look and see if there are any small cracks in the metal just to be safe from "impact damage"