Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is your experience with Pentax authorized repair in Enfield CT?
Happy with repair performed, communication, and speed of service 1425.45%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in communication 712.73%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in speed 35.45%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in speed AND communication 916.36%
Unhappy with repair performed, service speed and communication were good 23.64%
Unhappy with repair performed and communication, service speed good 11.82%
Unhappy with repair performed and service speed, communication good 35.45%
Unhappy with repair performed, service speed, and communication. 1629.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What is your experience with Precision Camera Repair in Enfield, CT (Poll)

An unscientific poll to gauge user experience with the only Pentax authorized repair facility in the USA.

Last edited by mee; 09-14-2016 at 06:40 AM.
09-14-2016, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My one experience was frustrating but ended well. I sent a k-50 in right after they took over. The camera went into limbo. They claimed they did not have it after weeks of waiting. I called and called and waited 40 rings or more. Finally after giving them tracking it "showed up". (Tracking confirmed delivery weeks prior). Then it went to in repair and sat there until it arrived on my doorstep without any warning it had been shipped. Communication at that time was a solid F. The repair worked and the camera was perfect after that. Speed wasn't too bad once they found it.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-14-2016 at 07:05 AM.
09-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wish there were a way to sticky this.
09-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

My warranty experiences with Precision:

1) A lens SDM motor was working intermittently. Their online system promised automatic emails as work progresses but I never received any email (yes, I checked spam filters). I also tried direct calls and emails but never received a reply. The lens just showed up at my front door when work was done. Repair time took around 4 weeks.

2a) DFA 100 WR had a sticky aperture causing overexposure. I sent the lens along with a note describing how the problem could be replicated with a fast shutter and narrow aperture. Precision shipped the lens back within a week stating it was cleaned and working to spec. The problem was *not* fixed so ...

2b) ... I contacted Ricoh about the non-repair. They had me ship it back to Precision along with the same description of the problem. Again, no email updates from Precision and the lens arrived at my door after a week. They did fix the lens correctly the 2nd time and called to confirm I was satisfied.

09-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My K-50 failed at about 6 months with the aperture control block failure that was all too common at the time. I sent the camera in to precision and fearing that it would be along process given what others had said, I bought a second body, the K-5IIs. The K-5IIs and the repaired K-50 both arrived within a couple of days of each other and the turn-around on the repair was just over a week including shipping both ways. I believe it was actually at Precision for 2 or 3 days. The camera looked perfect and operated perfectly after repair. I don't know how I could ask for more.
09-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Had a couple decent experiences and a handful of bad ones. Communication with all was terrible.

My first experience with them was to fix my GR. They repeatedly did not fix the issue and kept sending it back to me. Apparently they couldn't find the problem based on the written description I placed with the camera when I sent it to them. At no time did they call or email me and state that they couldn't find the problem nor ask me for a better description, they just sent it back to me. More than once. Finally, I think it was the third time I had sent it in, they fixed it, but they created a new problem. I then sent it back to them and they returned to me a different used GR with someone eases images on it. At no time did they alert me that I would not receive my camera back. When I alerted them of this, they essentially said "oh well", and that they no longer had my camera.

My second experience was to fix two of my K-01s, each with separate problems. They sent them back to me after weeks stating that Pentax no longer makes the parts I need. If they'd have told me this while the cameras were still in their possession, I would have told them to poach the parts from one of the cameras to fix the other. That way I'd have at least one working camera. I called them and asked them if they could do that if I resent the cameras and they said no, it is against their policy. Parts had to come directly from the manufacturer. So I was left with and am still left with two malfunctioning K-01s because of some stupid arbitrary rule.
09-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two different experiences so the poll cannot apply with only one response, so I did not.

I have two separate experiences, my first started with CRIS camera, who sat on my K-30 for weeks and did nothing. Then found out that Pentax had changed repair shops. My camera was boxed up and sent to Precision and apparently got there before the shop tooling. After being at Precision for an eternity I finally received it back repaired and working properly. I did not get much in the way of communications from either company. I was on the phone calling the Pentax offices quite often, after all, the "contract" was with Pentax. I did finally get a helpful person there who did help speed it along. I really feel the entire ordeal was the fault of Pentax for poor planning on the transition. CRIS obviously stopped working on Pentax way before their contract was up and dumped weeks and weeks or repairs in Precision's lap. Precision could have dedicated someone to talking to customers, as could have Pentax. I think it took a long time to get caught up and up to speed. The status was updated when events happened, but that's not comforting when it takes so long to happen.

My second repair sent directly to Precision was completed properly and rather quickly, they received it on Friday and shipped it out on the next Friday. Here's the thread.

09-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seems they are hit or miss so far. Both ends are heavy.. that's interesting.
09-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I vote there should be another poll option - Still Waiting. They've had my 150-450 in repair since August 1. Thankfully the warranty wasn't up until August 30th. But, it's been in repair now for almost 8 weeks. I've spoken to customer service & they've sent e-mails to the repair department with no response. I still have faith the lens will be repaired/replaced. Just hope it's sooner than later.
09-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have zero experience with Precision because none of my modern Pentax gear has ever failed me. My K-50 locked up once when the battery got low. I put in a fresh battery and it recovered. That's the extent of my Pentax woes.

I have heard both good and bad stories about Precision and their predecessor Cris Camera. I can imagine that an unexpected failure would leave one feeling pretty unhappy. Adding long waits and unanswered communications to that mix is certainly not gaining them any good will. I'm pretty sure I could endure a long wait if there were status updates and the problem was repaired correctly. Communication and good work are certainly not unreasonable expectations, especially considering they are the only Pentax warranty center in the US.
09-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
I vote there should be another poll option - Still Waiting. They've had my 150-450 in repair since August 1. Thankfully the warranty wasn't up until August 30th. But, it's been in repair now for almost 8 weeks. I've spoken to customer service & they've sent e-mails to the repair department with no response. I still have faith the lens will be repaired/replaced. Just hope it's sooner than later.
What went wrong with the lens if you don't mind me asking?
09-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
What went wrong with the lens if you don't mind me asking?
The barrel jammed at about 180. I've heard it's happened before in about the same spot.
09-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So far, it seems rather negative though. You'll probably at least be dinging them on service speed and communication. I'd keep on the Ricoh Imaging customer service. For all you know your lens is collecting dust in a corner somewhere.. Precision seems to be a company that needs to be prodded constantly to get them to lift a finger.
09-26-2016, 07:06 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
So far, it seems rather negative though. You'll probably at least be dinging them on service speed and communication. I'd keep on the Ricoh Imaging customer service. For all you know your lens is collecting dust in a corner somewhere.. Precision seems to be a company that needs to be prodded constantly to get them to lift a finger.
Thanks for the advice - I had no idea. Truthfully, I'm not feeling negative. I know how overwhelmed a business can get but it would be nice to have some communication. One positive, each time I've called Precision I spoke with the same woman. She had notes on my prior calls & assured me she would send another e-mail to service - I trust she did. That's much better than some of the health care records I've seen/received I will get in touch with Ricoh - I haven't done that yet. First thing on my to do list for tomorrow! Thanks again - maybe it will help.
09-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice - I had no idea. Truthfully, I'm not feeling negative. I know how overwhelmed a business can get but it would be nice to have some communication. One positive, each time I've called Precision I spoke with the same woman. She had notes on my prior calls & assured me she would send another e-mail to service - I trust she did. That's much better than some of the health care records I've seen/received I will get in touch with Ricoh - I haven't done that yet. First thing on my to do list for tomorrow! Thanks again - maybe it will help.
They are an odd company to me.. Because either you'll have no trouble with them or you'll have a ton of trouble. Some people here have reported no communication but their item returned (usually repaired) after weeks gone. But 8 weeks to me seems way out of the norm for them to have without any contact.

There was one guy who had a lens shipped (from Precision) to Japan apparently. That one took awhile (it was a 150-450mm too). I'd get on Ricoh CS though to get information. 8 weeks is way too long not to know.