Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is your experience with Pentax authorized repair in Enfield CT?
Happy with repair performed, communication, and speed of service 1425.45%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in communication 712.73%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in speed 35.45%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in speed AND communication 916.36%
Unhappy with repair performed, service speed and communication were good 23.64%
Unhappy with repair performed and communication, service speed good 11.82%
Unhappy with repair performed and service speed, communication good 35.45%
Unhappy with repair performed, service speed, and communication. 1629.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GuitarGuru76 Quote
Mine was, and still is a head scratcher. I had bought a new K-01 from Adorama on 1-30-2013. Not quite a year after that, the camera just bricked, never to power up again. At the time Pentax instructed me to send it in for warranty repair, to CHRS, as Precision was not yet the repair center, Until August of 2014, (According to Ricoh). So, I send it off in January 2014 for repair, and it disappears for 6 months.Then I get an email mid June 2014, stating that All the repairs, tooling and parts were being sent to Precision, as CHRS was no longer an authorized repair facility. So, more time passes. I reach out to Precision to inquire if they had my camera, never got a reply. Then 2 weeks into August 2014, a box shows up at my house, with my still dead camera in it. No paperwork or explanation of any kind. I made a few attempts to contact Ricoh / Pentax with no success. So the camera sits bricked on my shelf. i did try recently to re open this nightmare with Ricoh, with no results yet again.
The response: Good evening James,

Sorry, I was travelling last week.
I got your receipt. thank you.

As per our Director operation, Precision has been appointed as our repair center in August 2014 not in 2013.
Any dealing in 2013 has to be sorted out in 2013.
So with that said, unfortunately there is nothing much that we can do.

Very Sincerely,

Yuliana Kwok
Customer Service and Purchasing Manager NA

RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION
Cell: 416-882-0357
Fax: 905-286-5586
yuliana.kwok@ricoh-imaging.ca
yuliana.kwok@us.ricoh-imaging.com

Way to take care of the customer....
Quick update, I just received an email from Dilky Corteling
Director Operations North America for Ricoh. My K-01 will finally be repaired, free of charge. Now we will see how the next chapter unfolds. Will it be going to Precision or somewhere else? stay tuned.........

10-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Director Operations North America for Ricoh. My K-01 will finally be repaired, free of charge. Now we will see how the next chapter unfolds. Will it be going to Precision or somewhere else? stay tuned.........
That's a reasonable response from them. I'm glad. It isn't as though you just decided an old camera needed to be repaired for free - they didn't do it when it was sent in within warranty. Nice to hear. I continue to be impressed with the fundamental change that Ricoh seems to have brought to the company.
10-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #33
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Excellent. Sad it had to go that high up the chain but happy that part of the chain resolved the issue very generously.
10-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Excellent. Sad it had to go that high up the chain but happy that part of the chain resolved the issue very generously.
I am awaiting instruction from Ricoh on where to send it. No update as of yet.
Update: Packaged up for the journey to Precision. Fingers crossed. 10-14-16.

Last edited by GuitarGuru76; 10-12-2016 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Update
10-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #35

does anyone have experience with just sending the camera in for a service check up and cleaning from the extended warranty?

---------- Post added 10-10-16 at 07:21 PM ----------

it is too bad that there is only one authorized repair center in america.

there should be many authorized service centers and then you can decide who you would like to use instead of being forced with only one option i think.
10-12-2016, 05:14 AM   #36
Forum Member

My K-3's autofocus stopped working in April. I sent it to Precision and it replaced the autofocus assembly under 3 year warranty and turned it around in less than a week. I was very happy.

In October a mirror misalignment surfaced (the captured image is quite a bit higher from the center point of aim) and I sent it in this week to Precision since there's still a month left on the warranty. We'll see how they do. I hope they're as good as they were the first time.
10-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now 4 weeks and no communication. Emails go into a black hole.

10-17-2016, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter

Just got off the phone with Precision Camera. The person on the other end said that due to the "impact damage" it was going to be 463 dollars. NOPE! That's a big giant steaming load of crap. There was no impact damage. From day one there was flex in the tripod foot on it and the only fall it had was when I put it on a tripod just to have the lens come off and fall into a camp chair and the foot stay on the tripod due to some type of metal fatigue, which explained the bit of flex. She said she is going to explain what I told her on the call and get back with me either tomorrow or Wednesday.

I had already paid 53 dollars to ship this insured to them. I already bought the lens new. There is no way in hell I plan on paying more because of a defect in materials on the tripod foot. Depending on how this goes I will contact Ricoh and if this is not resolved to my satisfaction I will not be able to recommend Pentax to anyone based on their warranty practices. A DFA 150-450 is supposed to be a premium lens and therefore a tripod foot should not break on it at all, yet it did, and there is no impact damage on this lens at all.
10-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we have a serious problem because they told me the same about my dfa 24-70...impact damage when it was never dropped...I don't know what to do but starting to feel uncomfortable about pentax and their warranty...do we have a potential issue with their new dfa line up
10-17-2016, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #40

a final Precision workaround

My K50 went out in the first month of shooting. I was in Ireland so waited to return to the states. It went to Precision three times, each time returning "fixed", but still not working. It was as if I were hallucinating. After the second time I contacted Ricoh US, who said they replace bodies after three repairs. But after the third repair was returned, now ten months after purchase, they asked that I return it to Precision. I refused, reiterating their promise (by email, so I had a copy). They did consent, sending me a shipping label. I sent of the body and got a new one which has been working fine. Woe to Precision customers; and woe to me - I have deep hesitations about buying another Pentax.
10-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #41
Forum Member

I am awaiting instruction from Ricoh on where to send it. No update as of yet.
Update: Packaged up for the journey to Precision. Fingers crossed. 10-14-16.
Camera sent, and received by Precision today. Received repair tag info. States in for repair...Now more waiting. Betting on the no parts available for the K-01 line to follow. I hope Ricoh / Pentax has a stash of replacement cameras.
10-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #42
Site Supporter

Now they say the repair is 476.23, and that the damage I sent it in for is impact damage, and I have to contact Pentax/Ricoh to get them to do anything about it.
10-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Now they say the repair is 476.23, and that the damage I sent it in for is impact damage, and I have to contact Pentax/Ricoh to get them to do anything about it.
Holy hell... this is ridiculous. Ricoh needs more scrutiny on this operation.
10-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #44

Pentax Flash went in a month ago. They've kept me abreast twice on their own, and once in response for a status update.
Parts are coming from Japan......................................................
10-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #45
Site Supporter

I ended up contacting Ricoh via the phone number they provided. I am supposed to hear back from them on Tuesday.