Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is your experience with Pentax authorized repair in Enfield CT?
Happy with repair performed, communication, and speed of service 1425.45%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in communication 712.73%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in speed 35.45%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in speed AND communication 916.36%
Unhappy with repair performed, service speed and communication were good 23.64%
Unhappy with repair performed and communication, service speed good 11.82%
Unhappy with repair performed and service speed, communication good 35.45%
Unhappy with repair performed, service speed, and communication. 1629.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #61
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GuitarGuru76 Quote
Camera sent, and received by Precision today. Received repair tag info. States in for repair...Now more waiting. Betting on the no parts available for the K-01 line to follow. I hope Ricoh / Pentax has a stash of replacement cameras.
Weekly update. K-01 Received and in repair at Precision since the 19th. No other updates.

10-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just got off the phone with someone from Ricoh who wanted to get some background on what happened and asked how I store my lenses and such. He said that the lens in in Japan right now and that he was working on it for me.
10-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Just got off the phone with someone from Ricoh who wanted to get some background on what happened and asked how I store my lenses and such. He said that the lens in in Japan right now and that he was working on it for me.
I guess that's promising?
10-31-2016, 09:43 AM   #64
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Got a call from Mike at Ricoh today and there is an official request from them to process my repair under warranty and get it back to me ASAP!

10-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Got a call from Mike at Ricoh today and there is an official request from them to process my repair under warranty and get it back to me ASAP!
Hopefully they will learn why it failed also. Glad this is getting resolved.
10-31-2016, 02:01 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another option should be "Precision failed to even attempt to do the repair so many times, Ricoh had to take over the issue themselves."
I guess that falls under the last option... :-(
10-31-2016, 03:55 PM   #67
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Another option should be "Precision failed to even attempt to do the repair so many times, Ricoh had to take over the issue themselves."
I guess that falls under the last option... :-(

Yes, that is where I put my vote for the same situation.

11-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #68
Forum Member

Dejahvu

Weekly update. K-01 Received and in repair at Precision since the 19th. No other updates.
Here we are now into November, and I am having that dejahvu feeling all over again. Just how it began back in 2013 when I originally shipped this K-01 away to be repaired under warranty. Precision has had it since the 18th of October. Calls and emails to them and Ricoh have fallen into the abyss once again. Tag status on Precision site unchanged since the 18th. WOW!
11-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #69

They've had the lens I sent in (for SDM repair) since Sept. 22nd, marked as "in repair" but no contact from them. Sent a query VIA their online form, will see if the respond.

Update: They said it was sent to the factory with a turnaround time of 3-5 weeks.

Last edited by apfhex; 11-03-2016 at 10:08 PM.
11-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #70

Got my K-1 back from them on 10/3. Sent back by UPS as a high value item, requiring an adult signature. A large chunk of the time was supposedly waiting on parts from Japan for preemptively replacing the quick mode dial that supposedly fails on a fair number of these bodies. I'm happy that they performed a fix before it became an issue, but considering I was quoted about a week of turnaround time for what I sent it in for, I really would've appreciated being told that other repairs were being performed and it would result in a much longer repair time than originally estimated. I called multiple times, and after being told I would be contacted with an update within a day following a two week period of silence, it took me calling one more time for them to conveniently just have gotten a notification at that moment that it had gone in for quality control, which would take an entirely unpredictable amount of time that cannot be gauged on the scale of days, weeks, or months.

I'm still uncertain about the AF performance I sent it in for (AF module needed to be calibrated). I'm quite comfortable going through the microfocus adjust procedure from being on other systems, but this one still hasn't earned my confidence. Either that or the 50 2.8 D FA Macro, 50mm 1.8, and Sigma 35 are all being uncooperative.

At this point, I'm simply happy that it came back in time for a backpacking trip where I'll primarily be working on a tripod with manual lenses anyway.
Attached Images

Last edited by asamimasa; 11-07-2016 at 12:54 PM.
11-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asamimasa Quote
Got my K-1 back from them on 10/3.
At this point, I'm simply happy that it came back in time for a backpacking trip where I'll primarily be working on a tripod with manual lenses anyway.
Good to hear. But if it isn't right, I would suggest you contact Ricoh directly. They need to know about any continued dis-service being done by precision.
Ricoh also requires that an item be sent back for repair at least three times before they will think about doing anything further.
At the every least, Ricoh can authorize a shipping label so you won't have to pay for shipping... but you're potentially still without gear for several months while the red tape BS is running its course.
11-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #72
Forum Member

So, I got the dreaded update from Precision today. Repair is on hold, waiting for parts.

Parts Ordered
11-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #73

Got my update....parts from Japan to arrive in December.

Didn't expect 3 months.
11-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by BATMON Quote
Got my update....parts from Japan to arrive in December.

Didn't expect 3 months.
Arrived this week ahead of schedule.

11-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just FYI: The AF on my DA 300 failed while on vacation. Wiped the contacts repeatedly, clicked AF to MF multiple times on camera and lens, got home and cleaned the contacts again - tried it on my K3 as well as the K1, NOTHING. Phoned Precision, and they are close enough for me to drive rather than shipping/mailing. Cost estimate: $360 minimum!! So the morning before I drove there, I put the lens on my K1 (camera and lens set to AF), half pressed the shutter button and rotated the focus collar simultaneously, and bingo, it started autofocusing !!!!!????? Tried it back and forth on K1 & K3, it seems to work perfectly. A misaligned contact? I'll never know, but if you have an AF problem with any non-screw drive Pentax, give it a try - what have you got to lose compared to gain? Question and complaint: how many Pentaxians have had issues with a non-screw AF lens? Has any Pentaxian experienced a failure with a screw-drive AF lens?