Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What is your experience with Pentax authorized repair in Enfield CT?
Happy with repair performed, communication, and speed of service 1425.45%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in communication 712.73%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in speed 35.45%
Happy with repair performed, service was lacking in speed AND communication 916.36%
Unhappy with repair performed, service speed and communication were good 23.64%
Unhappy with repair performed and communication, service speed good 11.82%
Unhappy with repair performed and service speed, communication good 35.45%
Unhappy with repair performed, service speed, and communication. 1629.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Just FYI: The AF on my DA 300 failed while on vacation. Wiped the contacts repeatedly, clicked AF to MF multiple times on camera and lens, got home and cleaned the contacts again - tried it on my K3 as well as the K1, NOTHING. Phoned Precision, and they are close enough for me to drive rather than shipping/mailing. Cost estimate: $360 minimum!! So the morning before I drove there, I put the lens on my K1 (camera and lens set to AF), half pressed the shutter button and rotated the focus collar simultaneously, and bingo, it started autofocusing !!!!!????? Tried it back and forth on K1 & K3, it seems to work perfectly. A misaligned contact? I'll never know, but if you have an AF problem with any non-screw drive Pentax, give it a try - what have you got to lose compared to gain? Question and complaint: how many Pentaxians have had issues with a non-screw AF lens? Has any Pentaxian experienced a failure with a screw-drive AF lens?
I get a lot of emails on this topic and get contacted about this and monitor threads on this. Spontaneous recovery on SDM is real. It happens without a lot of clear repeatability. Sometimes it wakes back up and never seems to go back to sleep.

As for screw drive - Adam and I exchanged some posts about this. Yes screw drive can fail. I have only seen it fail on two lenses myself. In both cases the failure appears to be related to the lens communication module. Both lenses reverted to M type or K type function - loss of aperture automation, loss of autofocus was simultaneous. One of the lenses was dropped and damaged (fa 35) and the other was an FA 80-320 that has a number of complaints about similar failures.

11-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I get a lot of emails on this topic and get contacted about this and monitor threads on this. Spontaneous recovery on SDM is real. It happens without a lot of clear repeatability. Sometimes it wakes back up and never seems to go back to sleep.

As for screw drive - Adam and I exchanged some posts about this. Yes screw drive can fail. I have only seen it fail on two lenses myself. In both cases the failure appears to be related to the lens communication module. Both lenses reverted to M type or K type function - loss of aperture automation, loss of autofocus was simultaneous. One of the lenses was dropped and damaged (fa 35) and the other was an FA 80-320 that has a number of complaints about similar failures.

Dropped and damaged = not a spontaneous failure.
80~320mm = earlier generation AF, and as you noted, has a history of problems.

So you've documented one spontaneous failure in a discontinued, early screw-drive AF lens. How many cases of non-screw drive AF failure have been reported? My general impression is that screw drive became close to 100% reliable, if slower and noisier, but non-screw AF is erratically unpredictable and many - possibly - probably most failures are spontaneous, not a consequence of physical trauma to the lens or camera. I find that discouraging and annoying. I could have paid $360 for a repair that happened spontaneously as soon as they tested the lens.
11-16-2016, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Dropped and damaged = not a spontaneous failure.
80~320mm = earlier generation AF, and as you noted, has a history of problems.

So you've documented one spontaneous failure in a discontinued, early screw-drive AF lens. How many cases of non-screw drive AF failure have been reported? My general impression is that screw drive became close to 100% reliable, if slower and noisier, but non-screw AF is erratically unpredictable and many - possibly - probably most failures are spontaneous, not a consequence of physical trauma to the lens or camera. I find that discouraging and annoying. I could have paid $360 for a repair that happened spontaneously as soon as they tested the lens.
Sorry I didn't touch on anything but my own experience. I have read about failures here on PF and Adam mentioned some - I agree that they seem rare. This topic might warrant a new thread to get more info. I personally will say that I think the failure rate for SDM is lower (and DC as well) than we think. I also think that the failure must be related to either lens handling or inherent flaws in the lens itself - perhaps undue friction, misalignment etc that isn't fixed - otherwise the string of failures for a particular lens don't make sense. I own or have owned three SDM lenses and none have had any problems. How or why this seems true for many people while others have no end of problems could be simply statistics or there could be unknown differences in the handling or the lenses themselves.

In any case, I really prefer the DA* models that have both SDM and screw drive since they offer a failsafe option if SDM fails.
11-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

In any case, I really prefer the DA* models that have both SDM and screw drive since they offer a failsafe option if SDM fails.
I would definitely concur with the desirability of having a screw-drive backup system. Wonder how reliable the electronic aperture will be.

11-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #80
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GuitarGuru76 Quote
So, I got the dreaded update from Precision today. Repair is on hold, waiting for parts.

Parts Ordered
Still in wait.
Attached Images

11-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #81

I recently sent in my K-1 for the "white dot" / "dark band" sensor calibration issue. I voted in this poll that I was happy with their repair, communication, and speed. First of all, they were able to perform the sensor recalibration, which I had some doubt about initially. However there are a number of notes I should make:

1. I would characterize their communication as adequate. Not good, not bad, just adequate. I had contacted them twice before sending in my K-1 to inquire whether the sensor recalibration was something they could do. The people who answer the phone didn't seem to have a clear answer. They gave me an email address they said would allow me to contact the technical staff, but it didn't work. They later said their email and website were both having issues. After sending in my K-1, they called to let me know they had it and that the repair would be covered under warranty. I also signed-up to get email notifications from their site when there were status updates, but I never got any further emails from them despite my K-1 having changed status a number of times. Manually checking for status updates on their site did seem to work and give useful info.

2. They had my K-1 for just under 3 weeks in total. However, I think most of the wait was related to Ricoh trying to finalize what the recalibration procedure is.

3. Specific to the K-1: I can confirm that they are preemptively replacing the exposure mode dial even if you have not mentioned it being an issue. In my case, I had not had any issues with it so far. They also seem to have tightened-up the grip which was starting to have the slight shifting issue that a number of people have mentioned here. I was glad they were able to fix this, but it was also not something I had mentioned as an issue. From my experience at least, it seems they are trying to do a general review of the K-1's functionality and fixing any issues found.

4. The only real place I can fault them is on a minor issue that is somewhat hard to describe. There is a small self-adhesive plastic ring that covers the area around the cable-release / bulb plugin. This is inside the rubber sealing cap. The plastic ring had been partially caught/mashed into a seam in the body that the ring is supposed to cover. I was able to pull the ring out and flatten it back to where it is supposed to be, but there are wrinkles in it. Obviously this is a very minor issue and does not affect the operation or weather sealing of the camera at all.

Overall, I would say I was pleasantly surprised with their performance given what I have read about them.

Last edited by JBox; 11-20-2016 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Fix typo
11-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #82
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Finally!

Attached Images

11-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Finally!
There was a 2 month turnaround on my 150-450 also. No communication here either. Glad your lens is almost back!
11-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #84
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

It was supposed to get here today, I am leaving tonight, and of course UPS screws uit up due to me really needing it. Seriously? I am leaving for Georgia nad I had hoped to have this lens with me.
Attached Images

11-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #85
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Finally got it back. Finally....
11-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #86
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally got it back. Finally....
Is it repaired and back to 'normal' now??? Please say it is repaired.
11-27-2016, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #87
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Is it repaired and back to 'normal' now??? Please say it is repaired.
Yes, it is repaired. They had to send it to Japan for the repair to happen.
11-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #88

Photos: Gallery
Finally!
Almost the same dates as mine. Total of 72 days out of my hands, came back today. SDM works and lens looks no worse for wear. While I was told why it was taking time when I emailed them (they sent it to "the factory" which I take to mean Japan), there was otherwise no communication until it shipped - which would have been fine by me if only it had been a quicker repair. At least something faster than ground shipping would be appreciated too.

Last edited by apfhex; 11-29-2016 at 07:50 PM.
12-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #89
Forum Member

2 Months and Counting

Still in wait.
Still no news or update..I have reached out to Ricoh again. Waiting for a reply.
12-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #90
Forum Member

Still in wait.
Got a short reply from Ricoh last week.

I do apologize if you did not receive any update from Precision.

I checked the repair status, it took a longer time due to no parts available.
Our manufacturer has to run the production.

We should be able to ship it by next week and give you the tracking number.
Thank you very much for your kind understanding.

Have a great evening!

Best regards,

Yuliana Kwok
Customer Service and Purchasing Manager NA

RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION
Cell: 416-882-0357
Fax: 905-286-5586
yuliana.kwok@ricoh-imaging.ca
yuliana.kwok@us.ricoh-imaging.com