Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 11:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SDM gone again, same lens...

Had my 50-135 repaired back in late 2013 for a SDM problem - lens wouldn't wake up and focus.

Now it's happening again. I don't use the lens much so there's very little use on this new motor. Well, I say new, but it's most likely old junk sitting around from before they fixed the design in 2012.

I've emailed Pentax to see what they can do. Doubtful they'll do much given their attitude the first time around. I can't afford a repair right now so it'll most likely sit around until fungus grows inside.

09-19-2016, 11:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, you can convert it to screwdrive at no cost if you don't mind the noise.

There are instructions if you search them out and better than collecting dust.

Howie Be
09-20-2016, 12:19 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I don't use the lens much so there's very little use on this new motor.
This actually increases the likelihood of failure with these motors. You want to spin up the lens from time to time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-20-2016, 03:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

If you look in the forum marketplace, our very own Uncle Vanya does a good job of converting these lenses to screwdrive if you don't feel up to the task of doing it yourself.

The alternative is to sell it with full disclosure to someone who is happy to take it on and able to do the conversion/willing to get it done, OR who is still shooting with a pre-SDM camera body, in which case (AFAIK) it will default to screwdrive anyway.

09-20-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Had my 50-135 repaired back in late 2013 for a SDM problem - lens wouldn't wake up and focus.

Now it's happening again. I don't use the lens much so there's very little use on this new motor. Well, I say new, but it's most likely old junk sitting around from before they fixed the design in 2012.

I've emailed Pentax to see what they can do. Doubtful they'll do much given their attitude the first time around. I can't afford a repair right now so it'll most likely sit around until fungus grows inside.

As others have said, infrequent use of an SDM lens appears to lead to failures. Also converting it to screwdrive saves the lens to be used without SDM.

I think it's a very far reach to expect Pentax to do anything, when you state the repair was 3 years ago! Regardless of usage, it's the time involved since a repair that would be considered, and 3 years is way out of the time line.
09-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

No worries! Here is how you fix it!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/321757-how-...ive-video.html

I trust this process since I did it to my very own lens. I actually like it better on screw drive. I keep my eye open for a dead 16-50 too because I like the glass so much and the screw drive doesn't bother me at all.

If you feel like you can't fix it, go to the marketplace and send it to our favorite uncle. He can fix it up for you.